Anyone get into the FFXIV Beta?

I checked E-mail yesterday and found out I got accepted. It started the 13th but the way it looks they are having major problems with the client. it's now the 16th and it looks that it won't be addressed till Sunday.

Other testers are freaking out. lol

SE isn't really saying what's going on or when it will be fixed. they just posted that all current tests periods this week are cancelled due to difficulties. I hope it gets resolved my Beta account is ment to end in the end august and I still Haven't been able to get it to work dood.

Curious to see it and all @@

Been in since day 1 of alpha, it's not great yet, but I still have hopes for it considering how long I played FFXI.

Biggest problem by a country mile is the fact that the interface is just as clunky and console-friendly, pc-unfriendly as XI's was. The mouse is a software-based afterthought, and the camera moves as if you were moving an analog stick. Mouse control was terrible in XI as well but back then I didn't so much mind just playing with the keyboard. Years later, I don't think it's too much to expect a standard wasd+mouse functionality. They've got the wasd, but not the mouse, so far.

Aside from that the graphics are glorious, especially now that we can finally play in fullscreen (alpha was limited to a 1280x720 window). Levelling systems aren't terrible but still need polish, once again you can change your class at any point, and levelling multiple classes is essentially required so that you can have secondary skills to go with your main's.

There are a lot of quests, so yes, to some degree it has taken that page from WoW or EQ2, but to me it still feels a lot like FFXI with better graphics, a slightly better interface, amazing graphics, and a long way to go (hopefully, to the point where they realize the Sept release date is insanity and push it back).

Hmm, I registered and didn't get into this game.

As for MMORPGs I'm personally waiting to see what they pull off with TERA Online http://tera-online.com/ I had the privilege of playing in both of their North American Focus Group tests and they seem to be seriously listening to the feedback given by the players. Unfortunately, the game was supposed to be a late 2010 release but they pushed it to 2011.

Unfortunately, the game was supposed to be a late 2010 release but they pushed it to 2011.

While I have no idea on the "release readiness" of TERA, my thought process on this is that a delay is generally a good thing, as you don't want to be paying your monthly fee to essentially beta the game. As this relates to FFXIV, this is one of my lingering fears, and why I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who actually wants them to delay it, as I think they're being a little too ambitious with that September release date.

Maybe that's easy to say when I have access to it via beta (when it's actually up anyway), but I dunno, if you were to ask me if I thought you were missing out, my answer would at the moment be "not really."

While I have no idea on the "release readiness" of TERA, my thought process on this is that a delay is generally a good thing, as you don't want to be paying your monthly fee to essentially beta the game. As this relates to FFXIV, this is one of my lingering fears, and why I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who actually wants them to delay it, as I think they're being a little too ambitious with that September release date.

Maybe that's easy to say when I have access to it via beta (when it's actually up anyway), but I dunno, if you were to ask me if I thought you were missing out, my answer would at the moment be "not really."

Champions online was guilty of that... >>

Had problems galore at launch cause they rushed it out.

I have seen Nobuo up close :grin: he didn't sit far away from me during the concert (Distant Worlds II). It truly was an amazing concert. I wish to go again some day. I bought a t-shirt, the cd and a limited autgraphed poster.

I am more excited about the OST for FFXIV than the game right now :lol:

OMG! they said they'd go to south america!!! I hope they come to Argentina! I'd die a happy man if I was able to see them live....:|

I saw them in San Francisco last night. The orchestra was horrid (some of the musicians were extremely out of time) and some arrangements were just plain awful (JENOVA comes to mind).

On topic though: From the clips I did see at the Distant World's concert, the graphics did look amazing. It gets that much credit.

I was at Distant Worlds Vancouver last year and it was spectacular aside from the fact that Nobuo himself could not make it. The conductor Arnie Roth, same guy from that video was there and doing his thing however. I did a fairly long writeup post about as well, it's around here somewhere.

And just so this stays vaguely on topic, I also distincly remember Mr. Roth announcing that the reason Nobuo could not be present was because he was busy working on the FFXIV OST, which at the time I don't think was common knowledge.

So wait, is it the PC beta going on now or has the PS3 beta started as well?

Just the PC beta at the moment, there has been no mention of the PS3 beta yet. Regarding open beta, I believe there was mention of it towards the end but I dunno, I almost can't see SE doing that, maybe because at the moment beta just doesn't seem ready at all, time will tell.

Keep in mind that so far, even those in beta have not been able to log in often at all yet (one 4 hour window, same as alpha, and two sets of 10 hour windows, which was a considerable improvement), in about the 2 weeks the beta has been going now. To me, it still feels like alpha except you can play in fullscreen with much better character creation, but, I guess we'll see how quickly they roll out more improvements.

I got accepted but dealing with the client was way to stressful and time consuming. Having to use utorrent instead of the official one to get acceptable download speeds, keeping up with the current update, changing file names, blah blah...

It wasn't worth it to me. Poorly executed... Maybe I'll try again seeing that they admitted having difficulties and canceled a few test days.

I got accepted but dealing with the client was way to stressful and time consuming. Having to use utorrent instead of the official one to get acceptable download speeds, keeping up with the current update, changing file names, blah blah...

It wasn't worth it to me. Poorly executed... Maybe I'll try again seeing that they admitted having difficulties and canceled a few test days.

it's ment to be up tomorow, i'd have to chek the site to see if something else happened >>