Online Game Concept: Mugen Zero

Amos

This is a game for true gamers. The kind of gamer who loves strategy and challenge, or to simply bullshit around and have fun.

mugenzerotitle640.jpg

First off, this game is a unique combination of the best features of many games (plus some very unique features of its own) with a retro 2D Platforming (Fighting and/or RPG) focus. This is, in essence, meant to be a strategic fighting game, but it goes beyond that in the fact that it includes levels that are not only huge and varied, but have many obstacles that can ultimately be used for an element of intense strategy in normal game modes or simply freeform story elements in the Create-an-RPG mode where people are able to fight and chat freely using their own (fully user created) avatars.

mugenzero_kick.jpg

What separates this game from the rest is not only the fact that you can create your own fighter (very easily) using your own sprite graphics from scratch (akin to something like MUGEN) using a graphics program of your choice or the built-in character editor that allows you to use "parts" to build your character (for the artistically challenged), but the fact that you can make your character move and fight in the way you want it to by giving it many abilities that can range from flying, dashing, and multi-jumping to smash bros styled smash attacks, hadokens, and shoryukens. Some of these abilities are also stackable. That means, for example, you can dash-jump and shoot at the same time or shoryuken into the sky and then air-dash in a very Megaman X style way. One can even stomp or jump-punch their enemies in an unnamed platforming-plumber sort of way. The possible strategies that arise from these combinations are endless, so each character can have his or her own playing style that's as unique to each and every character (and player) as his or her sprite graphics and animations.

The fact that this game is online means that it is also possible to have bragging rights. One of these such rights is found in the 'collection' mode. In a very Pokemon-esque way, you can collect the avatar of those you defeat... and even play as them. This is a game based on skill and strategy (a component sorely missing from games in this day and age, especially online games). It uses the power of the internet (a feature retro games rarely had the luxury of) to allow small numbers of players to connect to one another and do battle. Hosted games are located using a central server list that is sorted based on the skill and rank of the players themselves to ensure that skilled players can play against other skilled players.

The ability to purchase new content (and also to update old content) is a key element as well since level design is central to developing fighting strategies. Since the game client itself would be free, content creation is where we will be making our money. We will allow users to purchase new content (and tools/content to aid in character creation if desired). A system is needed for this, which means that I need at least one person who is semi-familiar with GML (or at least willing to learn), UDP data transfer techniques is a plus, and PHP/mySQL to help organize and maintain online aspects as well as design and implement a content update system for both paid content (which isn't as complicated as it may sound) and free content (such as game updates).

I can already do most of this online stuff myself if need be, but I prefer to have a partner in this for many reasons. If we can work out a good online engine and content updater process, then we'll be in business. Since online will be the backbone of what's involved, depending on if you are willing to take the reins maintaining the online side of things while I deal with gameplay and graphical aspects (such as content creation and all that jazz), we'll work out something fair financially depending on your skills and responsibilities and how far you want to take your role in this. I want to keep our team as small as possible, but we need high quality (secure) work and an efficient rate at which it is done (and that depends on us both being hard working and responsible). I'm a very experienced pixel artist/animator and game designer and have been doing this as a hobby since 2001. I am finally ready to make the plunge into the full fledged business aspect of game design and all the headaches that follow. As getting a game published is a rough business, I need to have a small team of people dedicated to their functionality as well as the game itself. If you're on my team, you're a friend too. Your opinions and ideas count just as much, if not more, than my own. Whether they're actually implemented depends on whether you put into the game what you want to receive from it.

I've been working on this thing alone for about 5 years now, mostly designing and prototyping its core physics/state/fighting/online/roleplay engines to understand if this project was both technically and practically even possible! But, thanks to the completion of the Zero Engine (which you can check out below), the physics and RPG elements are complete and I've already started the online system myself and am close to completing at least the barebones of it.

This is a project I cannot complete alone and a game I cannot simply let die. I need to focus on the areas that I am most skilled in. If you need evidence of my abilities, look at the Zero Engine below or a prototype of the MUGEN ZERO engine (very old):

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/116906-zero-engine---super-mario-bros-example

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/34171-mugen-zero---v31

mugenzero_chase.jpg

Let's make something out of this game and not let it just fade away! If you think you can fulfill these two key roles (hammering out a content system with me and eventually handling online maintenance while I work on new game content) and have the abilities I need (or happen to be willing to learn them), then, please, drop me a line! I can't wait to get this damn thing finished!

- Ace

Damn, now THAT'S a post my man! lol

I don't know didley squat about programming and crazy data transfers, but i do know a lot about writing/remixing music tracks for ya. :D

So when you get to that point, keep me in mind. Click some of the links in my sig for examples of my work.

I will definitely remember you! I plan to get to that point sometime and definitely need a composer or two.

In the meantime, though, I need to find someone with some serious know-how in the online / PHP / server department. I've got the know how and the basic stuff already in place for the game and am a very good pixel artist / animator. All I need is someone to help make this online server stuff possible. The rest of the programming / artwork is simple for me.

It sounds like an excellent idea for a game, there. Be very careful using copyrighted material if you intend to sell any element of the game, though - companies will get all over you. I don't think you were planning on using copyrighted material, but the pictures you posted show Zero so I just wanted to be sure.

Good luck with it.

It sounds like an excellent idea for a game, there. Be very careful using copyrighted material if you intend to sell any element of the game, though - companies will get all over you. I don't think you were planning on using copyrighted material, but the pictures you posted show Zero so I just wanted to be sure.

Good luck with it.

Not a problem. The graphics are only there because I plan to use Zero as one of my own personal avatars when the game is finished. He definitely will not be sold as content. The level graphics are for a test level, which, also, will not be sold as content for the game. Thanks for your concern though. I'm well aware of weird copyright issues when money is involved (and sometimes even when it isn't), but I definitely appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

I don't know didley squat about programming and crazy data transfers, but i do know a lot about writing/remixing music tracks for ya. :D

As for the requirements for the online side of things, they have been reduced and the original post has been edited to reflect this. I recently found a way to take care of the paid content side of things so the "online guy" I need will only need basic skills that I can pretty much teach them if they're willing to learn.

The only iffy thing to this is the PHP/mySQL thing since I'm not very good at it. So it is very useful if the person is familiar enough to write programs that can communicate with the game client and possibly a mySQL database. All of the ins and outs of this aspect will be discussed with any interested in this position. I believe this knowledge will be very important to providing users with the content they desire. This will definitely be a paid position if we both take our work seriously. I can't wait to get this game done. I just want to play it. :)

So, I was wondering...

In this topic, I made a post where I explained the game in question and attempted to ask for help on completing it... However, I didn't receive any and am determined to complete it with or without anyone's help. But, first, I want to know for sure whether there is actually demand for the game because, due to the nature of the game, it relies on a great deal of others to want to play too, and I can't play it alone, so I must know what others think of the idea if I am to pour the extra work into learning the rest of the skills I need to finish developing it. I don't have a clue as to whether or not it is likely to actually catch on with any of you so I would like some input.

To give you an overview of the game in question, it's a little like this:

It is an original online fighting game that plays a little bit like Super Smash Bros for the N64 and Megaman X combined. It focuses on strategy and balance while allowing your creative tendencies to run free by allowing you to, in essence, make your own character from scratch -- minus the tedious task of programming it yourself.

You get to create your own sprites from scratch (within reasonable limits of course) with the graphics editor of your choice or a character editor where you can put parts together and build the graphics that way (for the artistically challenged). These avatars can then be given abilities that describe their movement and attack/defense capabilities. You can view these abilities as little blocks of logic that describe how your character can behave.

A Kirby-like character, for example, can use a multi-jump ability which gives the illusion of a smash bros style Kirby. A Mario character can be given a stomp ability that allows him to actually attack people by landing on their heads and a jump-punch ability that is reminiscent of mario hitting a ? block with his fist (where the ? block is instead replaced by another player's character) if desired. Any character can fly proper too if desired, and even dash (while flying) in a Megaman X style way if a 'dash' ability is chosen alongside the flying ability. These abilities are stackable and many different character possibilities await. The goal is to allow you to create any platforming character you wish as well as a few actual fighting game styled characters too. There will be shoryukens, smash-styled attacks that send other players flying (akin to smash bros), full body moving attacks for all directions, aerial attacks in all directions (all are optional), teleporting, blocking, and dodging, and even power up type abilities that allow one to charge their weapon or body or increase their attack power, defense, or health. These are only a small few abilities.

mugenzero_kick.jpg

mugenzero_chase.jpg

As you can tell, with these two simple concepts, characters can have quite a ton of variety, both in appearance and gameplay, which is very much not the case in most online games. Not only this, but the levels themselves will be large enough to move around in, and small (and varied) enough not to get lost in. They will feature hazards, props, and other things to make each feel like their own little world as well as to add elements of strategy that can only be found in particular locations with a particular set of abilities between characters. Every location will be balanced while considering all possible combinations of abilities so as to give a fair playing experience despite the variety in terms of both environment and character possibilities as well as strategies.

mugenzerotitle640.jpg

Outside of those elements, there will be many modes to play. The main modes are the fighting mode, collection mode, and create-an-rpg mode. 1 vs 1, 1 vs 3, 4 vs 4, and all things between will be for the fighting mode. The collection mode is a mode where you are able to take your opponent's character as a trophy (to use as you see fit) if you are able to defeat them. And the create an rpg mode is a sort of visual representation of the old school freeform verbal RPG's where you can fight or talk (and emote) in any level without rules or limits other than those set by the person hosting the game. This mode alone is a lot of fun with friends or strangers alike. The objective is to create your own narrative with others' (usually unique) characters, or simply bullshit around and fight. :)

I'd like to hear your thoughts and ideas on this game. There's a lot I didn't cover yet, but I'd like to know how you feel about the game and whether there is or isn't a demand for it.

First, you really need to make your topic title your headline. Coming into this thread, I had absolutely no idea what was going to be in here because what you have is absolutely enigmatic.

Second, if not the title then at least put the gist of your post in the first paragraph or even the first sentence preferably. I read through the entire post and STILL didn't know what you were trying to say. Also rambling on about childrens' parables does not help focus the reader on your point. I would suggest some emphasis tags.

A more effective layout would be like such:

Topic: [Mugen Mod] Mugen Zero: Opinions please

First Sentence: I started a topic about developing this game a few months ago, but despite the positive responses I received, no one actually provided me with any help.

I'm dead set on finishing this game with or without anyone's help, but I want to know if there is actually demand for this game.

[linebreak]

and then you can continue with the rest of your post

Personally, this is not my kind of game at all, but I can see how other people might like it.

First, you really need to make your topic title your headline. Coming into this thread, I had absolutely no idea what was going to be in here because what you have is absolutely enigmatic.

Second, if not the title then at least put the gist of your post in the first paragraph or even the first sentence preferably. I read through the entire post and STILL didn't know what you were trying to say. Also rambling on about childrens' parables does not help focus the reader on your point. I would suggest some emphasis tags.

A more effective layout would be like such:

and then you can continue with the rest of your post

Personally, this is not my kind of game at all, but I can see how other people might like it.

Not a problem, thanks. You're right. I edited it for clarity so I hope it's easier to understand now.

If it's not a bother, do you mind telling me why it's not your kind of game? I think you misinterpreted it as a MUGEN mod when, in reality, it's a completely new game more like smash bros or megaman x than MUGEN. The only aspect it shares with MUGEN proper is the name and the ability to create your own game content (in the form of characters)...

Maybe I should have clarified that too... sorry... :S

I would play the shit out of this. <3

Haha! That inspires me very much. :) Thanks for your feedback everyone. Three people in a matter of a few hours commenting that they would play this game gives me a pretty good idea that it's not just me who likes this concept. I very much appreciate that.

I've been hard at work for the past week developing the backbone of the gameplay. Any ideas for character abilities you might have, I will consider them now if you speak up. If your character idea needs a particular way of moving or attacking, let me know so I can consider if it's possible with the ability format I have now and tweak it if necessary. Once this step is done, no more abilities will be added until long after the final build.

Let me know what sort of characters you'd want to make. :)