Inception

Theophany

Possible spoiler below.

Adamantium dude - thanks for agreeing with me. I also enjoyed the movie, but was just really disappointed with how the dreams turned out.

they rarely felt like actual dreams, and the city-bending stuff that happened early on never really came full circle despite the fact that it had huge potential

Event the promo posters suggest that this is what was going to happen. Alas...

LAOS - you don't need go all out Paprika or Dr. Parnassus to make it feel dreamlike - just add lots of little details. Just make normal things seem off, just a little bit, where it becomes weird. I am sorry, but all we get a closed loop and slightly altered physics? Whoopie!

Oh, and the movie concept is not new by any means. Have you guys not seen The Cell with J-Lo? At least that movie got trippy visuals right, even if the acting and the plot were lacking.

This movie had a budget of like $200m? I am sure Aronofsky could have done it for twenty...

EDIT: Sorry for bringing Aronofsky into this...

Spoilers:

The whole point was to keep the dreamers from figuring out it was dream.

So the whole city bending thing was a no no for that reason.

Also, like LAOS said, this movie was sex.

This. Plus, I think they met their 'trippy visuals' quota during the spinning hotel fight scene. You guys do realize that they actually built a spinning hotel hallway with a mounted camera and had the actors running around it to film that fight? Totally win.

Spoilers:

The whole point was to keep the dreamers from figuring out it was dream.

So the whole city bending thing was a no no for that reason.

Yeah...not to mention the fact that (more spoilers)

the Fischer guy had pretty much been trained to keep out dream invaders. I wouldn't notice if a building suddenly turned into the moon during a dream. He might.

This. Plus, I think they met their 'trippy visuals' quota during the spinning hotel fight scene. You guys do realize that they actually built a spinning hotel hallway with a mounted camera and had the actors running around it to film that fight? Totally win.

I heard about that. I want that hallway.

So guys...

The thing at the end?

Up or down?

I'd say down.

SPOILERZ

Down. Saw it coming a mile away and it felt like a cop-out. (Though I'm sure if it fell people would have said it was cliche as well, but hey, what's wrong with a happy ending?)

Overall, the film still gets 5/5 stars from me, but I did think the ending felt more like a "it doesn't fall" rather than "what do you think?" type thing. Besides, if it doesn't fall, that raises a few questions that make certain things not make sense for me, so I'm going to have to go back and watch it again and see if I missed any important details.

Saw it the first time in a regular theater.

Went to see it in an IMAX last night. That is definitely the way to see it.

And I'm in the 'it falls' camp.

edit: that youtube soundtrack comparison is pretty interesting. the soundtrack really stuck out to me in the IMAX, I remember thinking it was good the first time I saw the film, but I just realized how spectacular it is. I need it.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as there are so many dozens/hundreds of movies I adore, in my mind, they all seem so trivial now after viewing this monolith of effects, storytelling, and just general sight and sound. I'll truly never be the same, and might actually go out of my way just to see this in IMAX (extremely atypical of me). Just..wow.