OCR02070 - Mega Man 2 "Dokuta Wairi, Rival to the Light"

djpretzel

I've been around OC ReMix for a while now, but never made an account until now.

I can say with total honesty that this is the mix that finally made me make a forum account, just from seeing "Sixto Sounds" and "Dr. Wily Stage 1". I haven't even listened to the whole thing yet, but so far, it delivers.

Ah yes, Juan's first and only DoD entry (he might be one of the only prominent guitarists in the community who didn't come from the stable of regular DoD entrants [oh wait, I forgot Nekofrog and The Dual Dragons] ). The improvements are welcome and make a song I've been well-acquainted with for awhile fresh and awesome again. Badass stuff from Mr. Medrano, as always.

Edited by KyleJCrb

*blinks*

Well...whoa. Holy balls. This reminded me of Black Lagoon for some reason. Asses are kicked, colons are stomped and your Mommas are humiliated in this bangin' Wily 1 track. Jesus H. Christ. Can't express the epicness of this track.

Also, Neko, your track kicks infinite ass, too. Between the two...eff it - I'm rewatching Black Lagoon now.

It WAS pretty straight-forward, could have used some keys or something. Power metal pads. I don't know. A synth lead. But it had nice production and the performances were pretty tight. Not too complex of a lead but that's what makes it shine, rather than robotic wankery or something. "Good wark!" -Nigel the Chocobo

Always welcome moar metal

Post your opinion

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I still think the beginning could have been a bit cleaner - if you really listen to the first minute or so, the solo lead varies in quality, shifting from back to forth. I am unsure whether this has been done on purpose or is a victim of shifting bitrates, but it feels slightly unnatural to me. Other than that, I like the forward feeling of this one, really well played Sixto. ...and I was so hoping of you doing some X2 remixes... ;)

Oh no, not techno again!

I thought I'd heard enough mixes of this song, but, well, it's Sixto. Not much to say, really, other than that thing about the intro - it does sound rather messy, especially around 0:07-0:10. I would have preferred something more marcato on those short notes in the very beginning, but who cares at this point.

Keep them coming! :nicework:

Edited by Dafydd

Y'know, I downloaded this like nearly a year and a half ago on Sixto's site, which if you've never been there, you need to check it out. Juan here has a lot to offer in terms of media experiences, both visual and audio. I'd link it, but the computer that had the link on it died spectacularly back in December. x.x Google up Sixto Sounds, I bet you'll find it.

Anyhow, this is one of my favorite mixes of his because it captures so very well one of the very few times I started to feel heroic in a video game. The great thing about remixes... to a certain extent at the least, they represent sort've what you were really thinking as you were playing those levels as a kid. It's just like how when I listen to the final level music in Super R-Type on the SNES... the track pretty much IS a bit of classical meets funk. I consider it, personally, to be my first real brush with Industrial because I remember it with all the explosions and the intensity of the experience, which lended itself to the (literal) heavy metal grinding common to industrial.

The best mixes transcend simple covers-they play off the gameplay and emotions people remember, and this does that successfully.

I read the entire comments list before submitting my own, and found another rendition of this source track done by Nekofrog.

Nekofrog does better at making the source his bitch, in my opinion.

With that out of the way...

Sixto your solo is flat out awesome. I would have loved to hear more variation on your guitar rhythm, like what you pulled off (in closing) around the 4:05 mark.

Awesome remix. I've had this one in my OCR rock list for some time, and it's always a treat. I'll have to listen a bit more, but I think I like this cleaned up version a bit better than the DoD one, and adding a phaser always makes things better. Although I do miss the pick slide from the beginning of the old version

I've heard Mega Man 2 done in every possible way, from heavy metal to 2000bpm techno drum n bass.

Sixto Sounds comes through here with a true remix, something so familiar for the first 2 mins, a song that would stand on it's own as being one of the best.

Then the song transitions to show that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The rest of this song was a compliation of changes in pacing & tempo, you truly were at the mercy of Sixto on this one. This song rocks.

-Will

PS: This is our OC Remix of the week, and instant nomination for OC Remix of the Year

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02070 - Mega Man 2 "Dokuta Wairi, Rival to the Light"