itt popularity is evil

The Derrit

So I was thinking about this the other day, and every so often someone makes a favorites thread asking what are the best ocr songs ever. And of course everyone has their opinions.

Instead of having it be a subjective list, why not just rate them on youtube? they're all there, people can only vote once and its an objective way to show which ones have garnered the most interest

just a thought

So I was thinking about this the other day, and every so often someone makes a favorites thread asking what are the best ocr songs ever. And of course everyone has their opinions.

Instead of having it be a subjective list, why not just rate them on youtube? they're all there, people can only vote once and its an objective way to show which ones have garnered the most interest

just a thought

That's not objective, that's still very subjective. :lol:

There's always bias toward game, genre, composer, how recent or old the mix is, just a bunch of things that wouldn't make any top 10/100/1000 list worth anything.

The only real benefit is a discussion starter and something that would be shared & debated, but and that's at the expense of other ReMixers & ReMixes that wouldn't be on such a list.

After re-reading OCR's mission statement re: ReMix popularity, I feel like OCR should disable YouTube mix ratings, if at all possible.

I also think that the people representing the site should be backing the site's mission as a whole as well:

As soon as OCR blogs are enabled i'm doing a top 100 remixes countdown of my personal favorites. :-D

I'm pretty sure this would be in direct contradiction with OCR's mission, sport. Refer to the following:

To separate out the "best" mixes, even by a majority vote, would sway any new visitors towards those mixes and away from pieces that they might otherwise have enjoyed.

We don't believe a rating system, or segregating out the "good" mixes by an arbitrary or democratic factor, would support that ideal.

A favorites list, especially from a judge, could easily promote favoritism and possibly elitism.

After re-reading OCR's mission statement re: ReMix popularity, I feel like OCR should disable YouTube mix ratings, if at all possible.

I also think that the people representing the site should be backing the site's mission as a whole as well:

I'm pretty sure this would be in direct contradiction with OCR's mission, sport. Refer to the following:

A favorites list, especially from a judge, could easily promote favoritism and possibly elitism.

1) For youtube, having the ratings available is better to keep because it helps promote OCR on their system. I know that lots of youtubers hesitate watching videos of less than X stars so, even though most if not all OCR videos all have five, disabling them would revert to all zeros and could lead to less viewership.

2) Despite representing the site's mission as best as possible, people will always have opinions on mixes, which is why people are allowed and encouraged to leave feedback on them whenever possible. When a judge is doing judge duties, then yes, they should have the mission first and foremost in their minds. The forums system here also deliberately states that "best of" threads aren't allowed for all of mentioned reasons. However, if it's a personal blog, even OCR-hosted, since it is still far enough "personalized" I think that it would be fine to list the mixes one likes a lot. On the same token they should be free to list the ones they don't like, because it's not part of the forums and 100% that person's domain. I'm sure once the blogs come up there will be rules, and I may or may not be wrong about my assumption, but I don't think the blogs will be subject to censorship of personal preference.

tbh, i'm planning on doing the same thing, though :<

You would, prophetikmephistoman.

YouTube no longer uses a 5-star rating system, they use Like/Dislike. That said, we originally disallowed ratings on all videos. In hindsight, it was a complete mistake and ignorant of how YouTube works.

I re-enabled them because YouTube's sharing and searchability is primarily based on people "Liking" videos. Disabling the ability to do that drastically decreased the ability of the songs to spread around and reach more people.

Also, anyone could go to our YT channel and sort by most viewed or top rated, which can't be disabled, otherwise we would. Whatever's most viewed or top rated on our YouTube channel is more a result of nostalgia bias & our subscriber base at the time the vid was uploaded rather than anything objective, so ultimately we chose to live with it, realizing those sorting methods don't actually reflect what's "best".

I also think that the people representing the site should be backing the site's mission as a whole as well.

No, it wouldn't. We're allowed to have our own favorites. My favorite remixer is ziwtra. I'm not promoting favoritism or elitism when I say that. I don't really understand how that promotes either, to be honest.

The reason we don't allow favorites threads on the forums has less to do with the site's stance on ratings and more to do with the fact that people just post lists when they should be discussing things. Favorites threads (regardless the topic) always degenerate into lists.

As for blogs, people will be allowed to post their own lists if they'd like. We're not going to discourage that, because blogs aren't discussion threads, they're just thoughts that people want to share.

The point about ratings in the site's mission is the reason we don't have a publicized tracking mechanism for things like ratings and popularity. Those kinds of things are always susceptible to the kind of preferences Larry mentioned. But personal favorites lists don't get tallied and they don't get tracked and consolidated. It's just one person's opinion. If someone wants to express that (staff member or not), they'll be free to do so once the blogs roll out.

I'm pretty sure you're taking this way too seriously, sport. :lol:

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the thread. Keep up the good work!

itt JM does not recognize either sarcasm or humor

Sure I do; I find the fact that you misspelled "it" to be utterly hilarious!

2) Despite representing the site's mission as best as possible, people will always have opinions on mixes, which is why people are allowed and encouraged to leave feedback on them whenever possible. When a judge is doing judge duties, then yes, they should have the mission first and foremost in their minds. The forums system here also deliberately states that "best of" threads aren't allowed for all of mentioned reasons. However, if it's a personal blog, even OCR-hosted, since it is still far enough "personalized" I think that it would be fine to list the mixes one likes a lot. On the same token they should be free to list the ones they don't like, because it's not part of the forums and 100% that person's domain. I'm sure once the blogs come up there will be rules, and I may or may not be wrong about my assumption, but I don't think the blogs will be subject to censorship of personal preference.

I feel what you're saying here, Stevo. But in this case, OCR blogs would not only be an extension of the forums, but would live under OCR's umbrella. In my opinion, if you're on-staff somewhere, you do, in one way or another, hold some representation of that organization; whether you're on-the-clock or not. My point was that you'd have someone representing the site creating a favorites list *on the site itself*. It's really not that different from a favorites thread, in my eyes. Though again, this is all opinion, and everyone else on the forums will probably disagree with me.

No, it wouldn't. We're allowed to have our own favorites. My favorite remixer is ziwtra. I'm not promoting favoritism or elitism when I say that. I don't really understand how that promotes either, to be honest.

I feel this is just a difference in opinion. I think it is, you think it isn't; fair enough.

YouTube no longer uses a 5-star rating system, they use Like/Dislike. That said, we originally disallowed ratings on all videos. In hindsight, it was a complete mistake and ignorant of how YouTube works.

I re-enabled them because YouTube's sharing and searchability is primarily based on people "Liking" videos. Disabling the ability to do that drastically decreased the ability of the songs to spread around and reach more people.

Also, anyone could go to our YT channel and sort by most viewed or top rated, which can't be disabled, otherwise we would. Whatever's most viewed or top rated on our YouTube channel is more a result of nostalgia bias & our subscriber base at the time the vid was uploaded rather than anything objective, so ultimately we chose to live with it, realizing those sorting methods don't actually reflect what's "best".

Well said; this pretty much ends the discussion. Thanks to all with the constructive feedback!

Sure I do; I find the fact that you misspelled "it" to be utterly hilarious!

"itt" is not a misspelling of the word "it," it's an abbreviation for "in this thread."

itt we talk about ocremixes and youtube

itt we discuss ratings and favorites

itt darkesword possibly missed the joke

It's a common abbreviation used on a lot of message boards all over the net.

"itt" is not a misspelling of the word "it," it's an abbreviation for "in this thread."

itt we talk about ocremixes and youtube

itt we discuss ratings and favorites

itt darkesword possibly missed the joke

It's a common abbreviation used on a lot of message boards all over the net.

I was being sarcastic. I probably should've used a smiley face!

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the thread. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for contributing nothing to community discussion except condescending complaints and your chipper butthurt attitude. Keep up the good work!

Seriously dude, I maintain that you only pop up to criticize everyone who doesn't have anything to say that pertains to how awesome you and your own opinions are. Get over yourself or just stop posting. No matter how badly it hurts your feelings, people are entitled to their opinions. I made this point once before, but anyone who cares to ever look at any of your posts will quickly discover that they are in vast majority either promoting your own music or complaining about the opinions of others. Grow a tougher skin.

Also, I like your music. More of that, less whining please.

We increasingly find ourselves in a situation where we cannot effectively promote ReMixers' work without enabling some form of reviewing on external services; YouTube "Likes/Dislikes", and probably in the future Facebook "Likes". At least w/ Facebook, it's only positive and not negative.

Hopefully, this won't cause too much of a popularity contest and/or make people only want to ReMix popular games/series, which has always been our fear with regards to ratings of any kind, and the reason we've steered clear of them for so long. I'm optimistic in my high expectations of both artists and listeners that anything we do in this arena avoids the pitfalls of popularity contests and the negative drama and conformity they can bring with them.

most videos i run into on youtube have like 1 negative rating for every 100-1000 positive ones. who really has that much in them to say something is bad? If I don't like something... I just don't thumbs up it.

edit: have i ever read youtube comments? i retract my statement.