Angry Video Game Nerd

DerangedWhale

I really do like the Angry Video Game nerd but I REALLY REALLY wish he would stop doing poop humour. It's just not funny. I can't make it through the Odyssey video. Also, his gimmicks (like having characters show up or just getting ridiculously mad) are bad. He's actually a very good reviewer, better than Yahtzee I would say (though not nearly as witty or funny), and is at his best when he's simply pointing out what sucks about a game without the fanfare. Like his observation about the Konami head zapper thing in NES Accesosories: that you have to be screaming out loud in order to use it, yet it's supposed to be conscientious of others in the room... hilarious.

Wow - am I the only one who doesn't like this guy?

I'll admit - he's good when it comes to filmmaking. I was rather impressed by Friday the 13th, but I just don't get most of his humour - or his reviews.

Seeing as how he seems to know a lot about the games, I was actually looking forward to his X-Men "review." I was expecting him to cover the part about beating the levels & getting no ending because there's a hidden stage you must access by holding down the buttons written on the label of the cartridge that happened to be typed WRONG. :banghead:

But he didn't. :dstrbd:

I think AVGN is alright, but his opening theme just offends all my senses. Whoever the fuck conceived that piece of shit apparently has the means to record a drum kit with decent quality but doesn't even CONSIDER using a bass guitar? Hey, dipshit, you can have 200 top tier mics set up for your drum kit but any song you write will still sound like an amateuristic turd because you DON'T HAVE A BASS GUITAR.

Don't even get me started on the guitar. Is that supposed to be a guitar? It sounds to me like he farted into the mic, autotuned it, and panned that shit all the way to the left. Shittyass tone, no multitracking, and what's more, it sounds out of tune. I mean, COME ON, even *I* could produce a higher quality theme song in under an hour.

This was my angry review of the AVGN theme song.

I'm a big fan of the AVGN. I also enjoy James' other movies and productions though I haven't watched much of his original stuff - I just like the way he approaches reviewing games, films or general nostalgia, commenting on trivia and history, etc. I do agree he can go a little overboard with the poop stuff (it's funny once in awhile) but a lot of the 'guest' episodes have grown on me. I've watched the Crazy Castle episode about three times now but I think it was funniest to me the third time, when I noticed Kyle crawling away in pain after the couch is destroyed, swearing "...nintendo dork... you broke my fucking couch!"

I think, like, whenever he has a character or anything come on screen, it's bad and never funny. That's my feeling anyway. I feel like I have to struggle to get through those sections without stopping the videos. His obsession with shit is amusing to me though.

Overall, though, I'm a fan. I think his nitpicks are 95% valid, and he does a good job taking everything apart and putting the games into some kind of larger context. I just hate when a good 10 minute review gets padded an extra 5 minutes from some overblown skit that's just never funny.

Also, I think the Theme Music is quite catchy and fits the dirty image of his series. The lack of sound quality and sloppy performance fits very well.

Oh yeah, you would say that.

EXCEPT IT'S NOT THE CASE. The drums are actually recorded in almost recording-studio level quality. Why would you get high quality drums and then skimp on the rest. I can dig it if he went lo-fi on purpose but the production just feels schizophrenic as hell, since if you go for a barebones mix, drums and drum production quality are generally the first thing to go.

I love AVGN. Been watching it since it started.

I thought the song was sung a lot better when it was just the Angry Nintendo Nerd. Go back and listen to an early video and hear how well Kyle sings "nerd" at the end, compare it to the AVGN theme. Me thinks it was rushed.

They're good fun videos, even the Board James and movie reviews are great too. I'm happy he only releases new AVGN once a month, as the production quality has gone way up as a result, and the reviews tend to be much longer and more thorough.

Oh yeah, you would say that.

EXCEPT IT'S NOT THE CASE. The drums are actually recorded in almost recording-studio level quality. Why would you get high quality drums and then skimp on the rest. I can dig it if he went lo-fi on purpose but the production just feels schizophrenic as hell, since if you go for a barebones mix, drums and drum production quality are generally the first thing to go.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the drums are probably sequenced and use soundfonts while everything else is recorded live. It would explain why they sound decent compared to everything else.

But really, who gives a fuck about the production quality of a song about rotten assholes and diarrhea dumps in ears?

The interesting thing about the AVGN series is that as things got more elaborate, the quality went down and James started to burn out. He puts so much effort into these videos, writing and directing skits with character appearances and whatnot, but his best are the more simple videos where he points out strange flaws in the games. It's not really a matter of his older material being better because it was fresher back then; it's better because he kept things focused on the games, a necessary part of being the Angry Video Game Nerd.

I love how he goes into the history of everything, so you know where it all comes from. This movie of his seems to be his current masterpiece. Taking a bit of everything he's been doing and making something out of it.

After watching all the AVGN videos, i've been watching his movie review videos. He's got a lot and they're all entertaining and informative.

I, too, love his movie reviews. You can tell that's his main passion. Seeing him go to where the movies were actually shot, for example, when he does the side by side shots of the Rocky movie, is pretty cool.

I am jealous of his collection of video games/systems he has accumulated over the years of doing the AVGN. I wish I had something like that.

I, too, love his movie reviews. You can tell that's his main passion. Seeing him go to where the movies were actually shot, for example, when he does the side by side shots of the Rocky movie, is pretty cool.

I am jealous of his collection of video games/systems he has accumulated over the years of doing the AVGN. I wish I had something like that.

Musta been easy for him since he lives in Philly :)!!. It was cool and sent his message home.