Anyone use Mixcraft?

I'm just wondering cus, that's the program I currently use and fine easiest to handle. If any of you do use mixcraft, do you have any tips for mixing, virtual instrument selection, or anything else?

imo mixcraft is **** and sound quality for its intruments are ****, BUT i suggest you download compressors and natrive instrament synths and orchastra vst, they will be good.

other then that get a better serious Daw

Mixcraft is afaik basically GarageBand for Windows, which means it's limited but a great place to start and learn the tools so you don't get overwhelmed by the complexity of bigger DAWs. Tho you can get overwhelmed anyway, I was when I switched from GB to Logic, and they're even compatible with each other. But I don't need all the tools Logic comes with, and you won't need all the tools a bigger DAW comes with either. Not all of them, anyway.

Dunno exactly about Mixcraft, but if its instruments and effects and capabilities are comparable to GB then you should do all right with it. Several tracks on ocr have been done in GB, Mixcraft is probably a capable enough DAW in capable enough hands. Ultimately, it's all about whether you can make good music in it. Learn it, and make good musics. :P

That said, you'll probably want to expand your palette of instruments and effects sooner or later, so always be on the lookout for free stuff. There's lots and lots to choose from. Google is your friend. So are the threads around here. :D

It's not about what you use, it's whether or not you can make good music with it. Keep that in mind before calling something ****, Adeseye.

Mixcraft is afaik basically GarageBand for Windows, which means it's limited but a great place to start and learn the tools so you don't get overwhelmed by the complexity of bigger DAWs. Tho you can get overwhelmed anyway, I was when I switched from GB to Logic, and they're even compatible with each other. But I don't need all the tools Logic comes with, and you won't need all the tools a bigger DAW comes with either. Not all of them, anyway.

Dunno exactly about Mixcraft, but if its instruments and effects and capabilities are comparable to GB then you should do all right with it. Several tracks on ocr have been done in GB, Mixcraft is probably a capable enough DAW in capable enough hands. Ultimately, it's all about whether you can make good music in it. Learn it, and make good musics. :P

That said, you'll probably want to expand your palette of instruments and effects sooner or later, so always be on the lookout for free stuff. There's lots and lots to choose from. Google is your friend. So are the threads around here. :D

It's not about what you use, it's whether or not you can make good music with it. Keep that in mind before calling something ****, Adeseye.

you did noticed I said ''IMO",second ''simon'', your not suppost to post peoples real name its rude to post names directly with out knowing them.

Third as i spoke of my opinion i clamed that was MY experience with mixcraft, which could me workflow or not just finding it good in my opinion just as i think protools is on the same lvl, and I heard insain tracks mixed on audacity and samples recorded with movie maker that sound great.

besides that all im saying is he asked a question, I never said he had to listen to my fisrt part, but i did say he would need a compressor due to lack of master suit on mixcraft and me ''thinking'' the sound quality is not great, and i suggest that native instument vsts would be good, he still has his own opinion to this whole daw wars and workflow bull****. (dont take my last 7 words seriously)

Rage\ (j/k) good day :-x

you did noticed I said ''IMO",second ''simon'', your not suppost to post peoples real name its rude to post names directly with out knowing them.

Your real name is listed in posts right below your forum name. You can clear the Real Name field in the Edit Your Details section of the User CP if you don't want it to show up.

its rude to post names directly with out knowing them.

Welcome to the Internet. We're all horrible people here :-)

I think he just prefered to call you that over 'Sonic', cause frankly, what kinda name is that.

That's like calling yourself 'Jimi Hendrix' on a guitar forum.

Ooh, burn! I lol'd at this thread. Thanks Nase, I mean Josh, you've brightened up my day with that :-D

Also, this thread is now about posting each other's real names (and why the **** someone would censor their own speech on an uncensored forum) :-P

Anyway, to bring this back on topic slightly, it seems to me that

Mixcraft is afaik basically GarageBand for Windows

this, and

Several tracks on ocr have been done in GB, Mixcraft is probably a capable enough DAW in capable enough hands. Ultimately, it's all about whether you can make good music in it. Learn it, and make good musics.

this. Though you may want to upgrade to something like Cubase at some point in the future if, as you progress as a musician, you begin to feel limited by Mixcraft. If not, then fine. Your choice.

Other than that, thanks for the lulz guys :-P

EDIT:

Rage\ (j/k) good day :-x

Oh, and lern2html Adeseye ;-)

Yeah, i use mixcraft for all my music. I hardly use any of the mixcraft default vst's cause there are a lot better quality ones, but i'll use them to write out the track then switch over to the better ones once i'm ready to mix down a track.

I've been using it for over 2 years now and i'm very content with it. Sometimes when i start to use a new vst, especially bigger ones (ie EWQLSO Free Edition), it will be a bit buggy. Usually just crashes randomly. Once you figure out why, its fine and i use them all the time. I noticed that sometimes when using my EZ Drummer vst that it will crash, but doesn't do that anymore.

Bottom line, i'm happy with it. It was cheap, works well enough for me, and with enough learning of general music production, can make some great stuff. I write anything from metal, rock, video game, orchestral, and even some techno with it and get great results. BUT to each his own. :D

Here's an example of a song i just recorded with it very recently:

stats.png

Yeah, i use mixcraft for all my music. I hardly use any of the mixcraft default vst's cause there are a lot better quality ones, but i'll use them to write out the track then switch over to the better ones once i'm ready to mix down a track.

I've been using it for over 2 years now and i'm very content with it. Sometimes when i start to use a new vst, especially bigger ones (ie EWQLSO Free Edition), it will be a bit buggy. Usually just crashes randomly. Once you figure out why, its fine and i use them all the time. I noticed that sometimes when using my EZ Drummer vst that it will crash, but doesn't do that anymore.

what synth are you using?

I think he just prefered to call you that over 'Sonic', cause frankly, what kinda name is that.

That's like calling yourself 'Jimi Hendrix' on a guitar forum.

also, the 'simon' bit was hilarious :B

^ cwutididthere 8-)

OT

Its a music fourm, generally a remix fourm, not a sega form or indeed call my self sonic on a ''sega'' fourm is some what not sensible, but oc is not a fourm dedicated to sonic, so it works.

what ever he said that was in tl;dr format
to fact I suggest cant find the difference from posting on a topic board then going to /b/ , daft you are indeed.

I dont think that was a burn but to the relevence of a name to a fourm.... or it was not that funny.

last

<script type="text/Overused Html term">

document.write("How this for you Dan")

</Facepalm>

Good Day

Bottom line, i'm happy with it. It was cheap, works well enough for me, and with enough learning of general music production, can make some great stuff. I write anything from metal, rock, video game, orchestral, and even some techno with it and get great results. BUT to each his own. :D

Here's an example of a song i just recorded with it very recently:

stats.png

Yeah the default vsts suck. Where did you find higher quality ones. I'm pretty much looking for some of the same instrumentation that's in the song you posted (it's really good, btw), albeit I want brass and complete orchestral as well.

Also do you have this problem where your speakers static if you layer or add to many instruments? I wrote a basic melody layering these 3 virtual instruments and my speakers just start frying. I think that problem happens when I use my laptop at school, but I'm not too sure if it was just the laptop or mixcraft.

to fact I suggest cant find the difference from posting on a topic board then going to /b/ , daft you are indeed.

Nice sentence.

How this for you Dan

I don't think you get this 'real name' thing, notice how I'm not calling you "Snacks". Either that or you're a big fan of recycling.

<script type="text/Overused Html term">

document.write("How this for you Dan")

</Facepalm>

Still wrong. Now shut up or talk about Mixcraft.

Well, like i said, i use EastWest for my strings/orchestra pieces, EZ Drummer with Drumkit from hell for my drums, and for the bass guitar (since i don't have one to play) is actually the distorted bass vst found IN mixcraft 5. Also, any sort of other synths are either Sytrus or the ocassional QuadraSID. That and i use Magnus Choirs for all my choir needs. Can't afford, or locate, the East West symphonic choirs. That's about it i think.

Like i mentioned before, when writing a song, i'll use almost all the default vsts in mixcraft. Once i get all the parts right and the guitars layed down, then i switch over to all the above mentioned vsts

Mickimoo, to find all the vsts just google them. They'll come up. EastWest has a free symphonic orchestra vst you can download after usually filling out a short survey. Its all legit cause that's how i got mine. It doesn't come with the crap load of instruments the more expensive versions come with but it has the basics and is enough to get by on for now. Also, Acoustica makes a nice piano vst called Pianissimo. A little search on the googles will find you that. As for mixing/writing a song and having static problems with the speakers, i don't have that problem. Although i used to when i first started recording my own musics. It sounds like your not adjusting the volumes and then adding some basic effects. Such as, compression and EQ'ing. There's some default settings for the compression, using both Acoutica's and Classic's compression you can get a decent balance. Also, panning is another big help with the static. Just make sure the volume bar, the green/yellow/red meter, isn't going up into the red that much. That should help that problem out.

Let me know if you need any more help and i'm glad you enjoyed that song. :D

Nice sentence.

I don't think you get this 'real name' thing, notice how I'm not calling you "Snacks". Either that or you're a big fan of recycling.

Still wrong. Now shut up or talk about Mixcraft.

sentence indeed is great.

All 3 of your replys were epic fails, you lost me ate your second responce,

and your last one of saying that was not Html on basics lvl, shows your really REALLY just confused......

and you cant even say it was your your opinion.

*this discussion is over*

Well, like i said, i use EastWest for my strings/orchestra pieces, EZ Drummer with Drumkit from hell for my drums, and for the bass guitar (since i don't have one to play) is actually the distorted bass vst found IN mixcraft 5. Also, any sort of other synths are either Sytrus or the ocassional QuadraSID. That and i use Magnus Choirs for all my choir needs. Can't afford, or locate, the East West symphonic choirs. That's about it i think.

oh ok, never heard of magnus Choirs, im going to try it, do you have to buy it or is there a demo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbs, stick to the topic, or go to Off-Topic and stay there. Turning a legitimate thread into a rantfight is fail. Stop it.

Yeah the default vsts suck. Where did you find higher quality ones.

Also do you have this problem where your speakers static if you layer or add to many instruments?.

Google is the best source of vsts, "free vst" should get you started. :P For synths I can recommend FreeAlpha and TAL-Elek7ro II as beginner synths, and KORE Player has some nice samples. You were also alre3ady directed to the EW's free stuff, also good.

As for the static, it could be a soundcard or processor/memory issue, or it could be clipping. Turn down the instruments' volume and see if you still have it (if no, it's clipping - too loud output for the digital format). If Mixcraft has a function of freezing tracks, that's one way to get around the processing/memory problem if that's what it is.

Newbs, stick to the topic, or go to Off-Topic and stay there. Turning a legitimate thread into a rantfight is fail. Stop it.

Google is the best source of vsts, "free vst" should get you started. :P For synths I can recommend FreeAlpha and TAL-Elek7ro II as beginner synths, and KORE Player has some nice samples. You were also alre3ady directed to the EW's free stuff, also good.

As for the static, it could be a soundcard or processor/memory issue, or it could be clipping. Turn down the instruments' volume and see if you still have it (if no, it's clipping - too loud output for the digital format). If Mixcraft has a function of freezing tracks, that's one way to get around the processing/memory problem if that's what it is.

Yeah I found a bunch on KVR and mixcraft's sight even links to a few... most of the ones I found weren't too good though, or they sounded odd, even after a bit of mixing. In the few songs I've recently put on my page, none of them use anything other than mixed mixcraft synths. But thanks for the ones you mentioned above KORE's by native so, lol not trying to overestimate it, but I think I can safely raise my expectations.

And thanks for the advice, I wasn't mixing before hand. I also layered a bunch of heavy instruments together. It's also just that my laptop, I think wasn't meant to handle that, lol.

Like i mentioned before, when writing a song, i'll use almost all the default vsts in mixcraft. Once i get all the parts right and the guitars layed down, then i switch over to all the above mentioned vsts

Mickimoo, to find all the vsts just google them. They'll come up. EastWest has a free symphonic orchestra vst you can download after usually filling out a short survey. Its all legit cause that's how i got mine. It doesn't come with the crap load of instruments the more expensive versions come with but it has the basics and is enough to get by on for now. Also, Acoustica makes a nice piano vst called Pianissimo. A little search on the googles will find you that. As for mixing/writing a song and having static problems with the speakers, i don't have that problem. Although i used to when i first started recording my own musics. It sounds like your not adjusting the volumes and then adding some basic effects. Such as, compression and EQ'ing. There's some default settings for the compression, using both Acoutica's and Classic's compression you can get a decent balance. Also, panning is another big help with the static. Just make sure the volume bar, the green/yellow/red meter, isn't going up into the red that much. That should help that problem out.

Let me know if you need any more help and i'm glad you enjoyed that song. :D

Thanks for the info, I'm googling EastWest now. And as you said, mixcraft 5 distorted bass is pretty good, I used it in the song I'm completing. Actually I find most of their basses to be decent. What do you think about mixcraft's default strings and choir? I used both in my latest work, and they seem decent enough. As for the guitar, I'm assuming you played that? I'm looking for decent electric guitar, in addition to brass/sax and woodwind/string (orchestral I suppose, but also like a band and jazz set up too)

Also the static problem is particularly on my laptop, I suppose that the problem was that I wasn't adjusting volume. The weird thing is that it'd static then just mute completely, like the speaker became fried. I'm now mixing as I go along so I'll see how it works out when I go back to school. But for now I don't have to use the thing, lol.

ended :lol: j/k

ontopic all

if you use mixcraft you will need a good memory management, or a way to use less cpu. you can download/buy direct wave from image line and use the vst sampler.

its a sick function but quality may sound a tiny lower when in use, so you may have to put use to EQing the track or mastering.

Yeah I found a bunch on KVR and mixcraft's sight even links to a few... most of the ones I found weren't too good though, or they sounded odd, even after a bit of mixing. In the few songs I've recently put on my page, none of them use anything other than mixed mixcraft synths. But thanks for the ones you mentioned above KORE's by native so, lol not trying to overestimate it, but I think I can safely raise my expectations.

And thanks for the advice, I wasn't mixing before hand. I also layered a bunch of heavy instruments together. It's also just that my laptop, I think wasn't meant to handle that, lol.

Thanks for the info, I'm googling EastWest now. And as you said, mixcraft 5 distorted bass is pretty good, I used it in the song I'm completing. Actually I find most of their basses to be decent. What do you think about mixcraft's default strings and choir? I used both in my latest work, and they seem decent enough. As for the guitar, I'm assuming you played that? I'm looking for decent electric guitar, in addition to brass/sax and woodwind/string (orchestral I suppose, but also like a band and jazz set up too)

Also the static problem is particularly on my laptop, I suppose that the problem was that I wasn't adjusting volume. The weird thing is that it'd static then just mute completely, like the speaker became fried. I'm now mixing as I go along so I'll see how it works out when I go back to school. But for now I don't have to use the thing, lol.

To use EastWest I advise you get a external hard drive, EestWest is know to eat oddles of gigs of your pc.

oh ok, never heard of magnus Choirs, im going to try it, do you have to buy it or is there a demo

Yeah, there's a demo HERE. Or you can check out the other vsts they make also HERE. To be honest though, i haven't used or tried any of their other vsts. They have a strings one, and it sounds alright in the demo song.

I used the mixcraft strings/choirs for the longest damn time before i found the magnus choirs and the EastWest free stuff is great. Under the Orchestra section, the Orchestral Stings is a nice combo of 4 other mixcraft vsts and gets the job alright. The choris i liked for the longest time til i heard the magnus choirs. EastWest has a symphonic choir ibrary, but it gets pricey, at least for me. Also, mixcraft has some default brass/sax and woodwind vsts and they're ok, but i would only use them if you can't find something a little higher quality.

EastWest has a symphonic choir ibrary, but it gets pricey, at least for me.

Also, the wordbuilder functionality is really difficult to use (or to use well, at least). And if you just want the library for the oohs and aahs rather than the wordbuilder, you can get cheaper libraries that will give you good oohs and aahs. I definitely recommend knowing what you're getting into before deciding to buy EastWest Symphonic Choirs.

• 2 months later...
Yeah, I suppose I'll stick to mixcraft for now... I guess I should just find higher quality vsts. Anyone know of some good ones, free or relatively inexpensive. I was going to look into native but I'm not sure yet

Hey, don't get down yet - the 3rd Party VSTs are pretty dynamic when you actually work with them.