Samurai Showdown 4-Wolven Spirit (Rimururu Theme)

-This is a power metal S.S.H. style remix of Rimururu's theme from Samurai Showdown 4. I feel it's pretty much complete but i would like some outside opinions before i officially enter it to O.C. remix. It was all made in FL studio using NO money.

-I used the demo version of FL studio. I used 2 free VSTs one for the drums and one for the Harp. the rest were all done with Sytrus VST. This remix took a lot of time and effort due to the fact that i used the demo version. Every time i reloaded it in FL studio i had to redo all of the effects and remaster it. it took about 4 days total to do.

-I'd like everyone's honest opinion on it good or bad. (note: this is my first real remix so i don't expect it to be anywhere near perfect lol)

here is the song: http://tindeck.com/listen/glbq

I think this is a really great arrangement of the song. Very upbeat and keeps you really pumped up throughout the whole song. The only thing I recommend is to perhaps bring back the original melody when you get towards the end of the song after the solos.

Other than that it sounds great!

Neat mix, reminds me of brainsick metal. http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00569/

The composition and actual writing sound good. I'd kinda like to hear some pad-ish sounds in places to help fill out the sound maybe? I dunno.

Some of the highs (2:48, the very beginning) kinda hurt. You might be able to put a filter on there and take out some of the harshness.

It's a neat guitar part, Might put some distortion on it to help distinguish it from the synths, It's up to you. Sounds good as is.

Props for a first mix, I've been at this a while and I can't get anything composed near this good.

Neat mix, reminds me of brainsick metal. http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR00569/

The composition and actual writing sound good. I'd kinda like to hear some pad-ish sounds in places to help fill out the sound maybe? I dunno.

Some of the highs (2:48, the very beginning) kinda hurt. You might be able to put a filter on there and take out some of the harshness.

It's a neat guitar part, Might put some distortion on it to help distinguish it from the synths, It's up to you. Sounds good as is.

Props for a first mix, I've been at this a while and I can't get anything composed near this good.

1. It's an interesting idea but i already have a choir and an organ part for ambiance. i feel that adding another ambient sound might be a bit much. i CAN however raise the volume of the choir and organ part to make them more noticeable.

2. About the highs i do agree i think i can probably add a few filters here and there to cut down the high frequencies. (i even got a headache after working on it for a few hours cause of the frequencies).

3. Unfortunately the lead guitar sound is as good as it's gonna get. It already is composed of 2 sounds and 6 effects on 1, and 2 effects on the other. adding distortion would only make it sound scratchier and harsher due to the fact that FL studio's distortion effects aren't the best.

4. Thank you very much for the props ^^. I'm very pleased with how it came out and am looking forward to the finished mix.

I didn't have anything major with it. When there's minor stuff, I pick nits. I usually give some sort of warning disclaimer on my posts :-P The better it is, the harder it is to critique.

Ambiance isn't bad, I just didn't (and tbh, you shouldn't notice it much) see much. I've gone sections in doing stuff and gone... 'why does this sound so empty?!' Turns out I forget to carry my pads over...

Not sure how FL works vst in, but these distortion mods may help you if you wanna play with the guitar, if not, is good now. http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2753.html

EDIT: Ah, here's the other one I used recently: http://tda.tention.org/index.php?cat=tdae&dest=dt424

DUDE! that distortion effect makes my guitar sound 10x better. i'll add it onto my mix as soon as i can, and i'll also mess with a few filters to cut out some of the harsher frequencies.

Then i'll work on trying to make the ambiance come out a bit more without over powering the rest of the song. Thank you VERY much for the distortion effects.

I've updated and changed a few things as far as mixing goes. I redid the lead guitar with the distortion effects you showed me and it made the lead guitar sound VERY nice.

I added some filters to the synth leads to cut out some of the high (and possibly harmful) frequencies.

I changed the rock organ to a church organ to give it kind of a Gothic feel and with the choir it sounds really nice. i also raised their volume slightly so they fill in just a bit more but they are still in the background compared to the other instruments.

Due to the fact that i can't save it as an FLP i had to remaster everything again with all of the effects and stuff but i got it to sound as best i could and i think it came out very nice.

here's a link: http://tindeck.com/listen/ubgl

You're going to be a mastering pro before you even own the software. 8O

Glad that distortion helped, I've been using both on a synth I'm trying to make nasty, but there's mastering in my future there. I gotta EQ stuff and figure out what's clipping. Stupid...Filter...Automations...

Now, that being said, I'm not the person you want to ask about mastering. I don't hear anything wrong with it, but my last WIP is clipping and I don't really know, eh, howtofix/whereitis so some research is also in my future. But bottom line, get a mastering dood to take a look at this.

Anyways, right. New stuff.

WOOT! Guitar sounds! Though I may have tainted your non-distortion purity with my peer pressure to put it on everything. I gets yelled at a lot for that. But I like it!

Nicely done with the highs, still there and powerful, but not as grating.

I really got nothin left XD

nice mix.

You're going to be a mastering pro before you even own the software. 8O

LOL well idk about that, I just use my ears (I've always had VERY good hearing when it comes to music).

Glad that distortion helped, I've been using both on a synth I'm trying to make nasty, but there's mastering in my future there. I gotta EQ stuff and figure out what's clipping. Stupid...Filter...Automations...

Well i actually only used the second link you gave me cause the first link made it way too scratchy. However that does not mean i won't be able to find a use for it later ;-)

As far as the clipping goes usually Soundgoodizer A mode max on the master track-lower volume on the individual track of the sound that's clipping -then fruity compressor does the trick for me i try to refrain from EQs unless absolutely necessary or the sound isn't very good on its own.

Now, that being said, I'm not the person you want to ask about mastering. I don't hear anything wrong with it, but my last WIP is clipping and I don't really know, eh, howtofix/whereitis so some research is also in my future. But bottom line, get a mastering dood to take a look at this.

Anyways, right. New stuff.

WOOT! Guitar sounds! Though I may have tainted your non-distortion purity with my peer pressure to put it on everything. I gets yelled at a lot for that. But I like it!

Nicely done with the highs, still there and powerful, but not as grating.

I really got nothin left XD

nice mix.

Ty very much once again for taking the time to evaluate my mix 8-) I am new here however and don't know any mixing wizards by name or anything lol. I hope you are able to fix the clipping problem cause i know how that feels. Good luck :-o

• 1 month later...

Here's another update of the song with the newest sounds I have. I think it will be ready to submit very soon once i make a few final mastering tweaks (the lead guitar for the solos is a bit too quiet =/).

Other than that I think it's just about done. Let me know what you think.

Link: http://tindeck.com/listen/mcya

P.S. The reason it's taken so long for me to update is because i started college a few weeks ago and have been extremely busy lately.

That intro is pretty piercing, might consider turning it down a bit.

I actually liked the guitar better on the other version of this. I'm a fan of that kinda dirty sound more. Also, and it may just be me. The dirty guitar sounded more real than this one does. Though it was a bit on the loud side in the last mix (not this one) Also, I think some reverb would help smooth them out a bit maybe.

I could see some embellishments on things. Pitch bends on long notes in places and stuff. Just polish and preference really.

I'm really bad at this sort of thing (also these headphones are broken:banghead:) but I think I hear clipping at places. Check your levels.

That intro is pretty piercing, might consider turning it down a bit.

Really? O.o it's exactly the same as the last mix i didn't change anything like that.

I

actually liked the guitar better on the other version of this. I'm a fan of that kinda dirty sound more. Also, and it may just be me. The dirty guitar sounded more real than this one does. Though it was a bit on the loud side in the last mix (not this one) Also, I think some reverb would help smooth them out a bit maybe.

Well that is more of a preference than anything. However, i think it's also the way i have it playing in this mix. It's playing an octave higher than a rhythm guitar typically plays due to the fact that the song would require the guitar to be in drop D tuning.

(My mute strum sound doesn't go that low >.>). I guarantee you though if i had a more traditional guitar line in a song with this sound, it'd sound much more realistic than the other guitar.

I could see some embellishments on things. Pitch bends on long notes in places and stuff. Just polish and preference really.

Again really? lol cause nothing changed composition wise. Only sound wise.

I'm really bad at this sort of thing (also these headphones are broken:banghead:) but I think I hear clipping at places. Check your levels.

All of my levels were below 0 db i triple checked before i saved it. It could be all the distortion from the different guitar sounds blending a bit in a not so good way not sure. Anyway thanks for the comment ^^. I'll keep working on it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok well it's been a while since i've posted anything about the song. i've gotten many new and better quality sounds since the last time i worked on this. So hopefully i will be able to update the sounds to make it sound as good as possible.

I should be getting FL studio pretty soon (the official full version signature bundle). Once I have that then i can work on it much faster because i will be able to save the project as a flp.

Once i do update it I'm very much a noob when it comes to mastering. It would be awesome if maybe there is anyone who could help a little with that.

Anyway, That's all for now i'll post again when i have something new to show.