Kirby's Adventure: Rise of the Star - History

DarkeSword

True, I thought that pic makes a great base idea (especially that text), but as a true cover it's somewhat lacking. DarkeSword, do you have any specific look you want the cover to display, or do you trust the individual judgement of the resident OCR Kirby fans?

EDIT: Does this project have an official title yet?

DarkeSword said:
I don't like the cover design. :|

Maybe I could do better if you actually knew what you wanted?

Besides, you of all people should know that if you're going to give criticism, it should atleast be constructive.

Finally made one :) :

KirbyRemixCoverKW.jpg

I kept it simple and adjustable. I'd like feedback on where I should go with this.

Here's an idea! Don't steal from other peoples work - or, if you do, atleast make something good.

Hi, I've been watching this project for a while. Kirby was one of my favorite childhood NES games, and it's nice that there's finally some excellent remixes being developed for the songs in this game.

Since I can't remix music worth crap, I figured that I might help the case by offering my artistic skills for an album design. This is just a sketch mind you, I didn't want to spend too much time on it if no one likes it. XD (I usually draw better than this)

Kirby3.jpg

Edit: Changed the title on the image.

Hi, I've been watching this project for a while. Kirby was one of my favorite childhood NES games, and it's nice that there's finally some excellent remixes being developed for the songs in this game.

Since I can't remix music worth crap, I figured that I might help the case by offering my artistic skills for an album design. This is just a sketch mind you, I didn't want to spend too much time on it if no one likes it. XD (I usually draw better than this)

Kirby3.jpg

Edit: Changed the title on the image.

While it's definately good and creative, I don't think it will fit the album. If it was a techno tribute or something like that, I'd think it was perfect, but there are many different styles included here.

Hey hey guys...hold up on the cover design. I want to worry about all of that AFTER the music is finished. :?

Woops sorry about that. I admit I just caught on everyone else posting albums ideas and needed and excuse to sketch something.

Pixle, did you draw that by hand? That's awesome.

Thank you, but it's just a sketch. (Also I'm actually using a wacom tablet as I was too lazy to scan stuff.)

While it's definately good and creative, I don't think it will fit the album. If it was a techno tribute or something like that, I'd think it was perfect, but there are many different styles included here.

That's true. I suppose it would be much better if there was a couple of characters from the game with various instruments.

...Now you make me want to draw Dedede with a Banjo. But I'll heed DarkeSword's word and return to my lurking. You guys continue with your work, I'm highly anticipating the songs that we haven't heard yet.

Finally made one :) :

KirbyRemixCoverKW.jpg

I kept it simple and adjustable. I'd like feedback on where I should go with this.

Here's an idea! Don't steal from other peoples work - or' date=' if you do, atleast make something good.[/quote']

I asked for suggestions, not criticism on a less-than-half-finished work. <(-_-)> I'll go sketch out something completely original at a later date when DS sets some requirements I suppose...

*goes back to lurking*

Take note: Good cover art can take multiple hours just like remixes can. A deadline of 2 weeks from the offical cover-art requirements is a must.

And stopping all of this talk about cover art is a must, too.

Seriously. Lay off on the cover art. At this point int the project I don't even give a damn about the cover art. The title of the album has not even been decided yet, so designing anything is moot. I appreciate the effort, but I'm not interested in looking at art right now.

Uploading done!

I'm really, really sorry it took so terrible long. I had much trouble with uploading it, so I decided to upload it on my soundclick account, where I never have more than 2 mp3's, because I use it always temporary.

In my eyes it's done, but I'm as always open for comments, suggestions, and whatever.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/kirbymixermusic.htm

(and look for Drops of Dreamland, the only mp3 on that page :wink: ).

Here are my issues with it. There's way too much high register stuff going on. It's a bit ridiculous. Also, a lot of chromatic percussion.. There's too much xylophone and music box everywhere, and it never lets up at all. It's constantly going and going and going, and there are hardly any bass elements to balance that out. Saxophone sounds out of place as well. Also, you could cut out the entire middle section starting at 3:26 and going until 4:50, because alot of that doesn't even relate to the source material at all.

It's certainly not bad, but I think it needs major revision. :?

Also, you could cut out the entire middle section starting at 3:26 and going until 4:50, because alot of that doesn't even relate to the source material at all.

I'll work on your issues with it, but that quote is something where you aren't right.

3:26-3:38 is the intro for the part of 3:39 to 4:10

3:39-3:40 is the ending theme with difference in the lenght in notes, and one note removed

3:41-3:51 is original (you're right there)

3:52-4:10 is the ending theme, remixing the notes pattern which plays there

4:11-4:17 is a intro to what comes after 4:17

4:18-4:36 is a dramatic piano remix of track 22

4:37-4:50 is the intro of the gostly theme which comes next

but if these points aren't clearly for a listener, I'll cut it as well :(

it sounds very analoq?

exceedingly so. your acoustic drums always sound so fresh... and of course there's the guitar and the synths and the electric piano and the catchy bassline... yeah, it sounds no less analoq than anything else ever created.

I like it alot! Although to my attention span it becomes sort of tedious towards the middle. Up to a point the changes really register with me, but then I kind of zone out, since even though there are some melodic changes and added synths and filtering stuff along the way, it retains the same stylistic background-ish feel without much variation until the guitar part. You do a good job of making lots of small little changes and mixing it all up over the period of the mix - in fact, you do a great job at this. But it just isn't enough to kind of substantiate the piece - it's great, but it doesn't have that certain (not necessarily obvious) narrative quality that distinguishes foreground music from background music.

I'm aware that that doesn't really count as a comment since I wasn't able to really explain well enough to help you understand what I mean at all, but I guess I'll just summarize by saying it makes really great background music and is done with an exceedingly slick touch.

thanks for the input. i agree with you regarding the 'background music' comment.

i generally don't want my remixes to have the kind of "in your face" attitude that many remixers attempt. (not that you were suggesting such)

i like to take the original down a notch... slow down the tempo... mellow-out the chord progression... give it a laid-back groove... and let things flow.

i agree it could've been done better, though.

cheers.

so like, here's my 'final wip' for track 32.

it sounds very analoq?

still need to make a few tweaks but i'll entertain any comments.

http://apm.m2pc.com/stuff/analoq_kirby32fw.ogg [3.4m]

cheers.

Dam. I was really hoping for some intense hyperactive goodness with that song. Despite my tastes, it's a neat song. I see the whole tune differently now, definately what a good remix should be. <(-'v'-)>

It's not really important or anything, but the title of this topic has been out of date for almost a month now.

Other than that, I just want to say that all the mixes i've heard so far are pretty awesome.

Darangen - Absolutely rocking. I can't find much wrong about your mix - I love it ^^

Analoq - Another awesome piece, though I'd say that about any of your stuff. Sounds good. Makes me feel inspired to try mixing in that style ^^;

Rellik - it's different, but it's damn catchy. Looking forward to seeing more on this :)

Kirbymixer - Like DS said, there's a little too much high register stuff and almost no bass at all. Not only does that make it sound a little unbalanced, but it's like all the instruments are competing with eachother because they're in the same range, rather than complementing eachother as they should. Otherwise - excellent work :D

Ellywu - You already know what I think: it's perfect, but you must get rid of that horrible raspy instrument at 2:14-2:16 - it sounds so out of place, and just ruins the feel. Other than that, it's great so far :D

Adhesive boy - Just wanna hear more of it before I say anything.

Then I have an mp3 called "generalizedVegetal", which is also awesome, though I've no idea who did it.

Ohwell, can't wait to hear more of all of these :)

~Hadyn