OCR01247 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'To Far Away Memories' *RESUB*

Protricity

i think i've fixed the note problem you mentioned. let me know how it sounds. thanks.

Old decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42542

After much corrispondence and revision (4, I think), I believe we fixed the more significant problems. The 'questionable notes' in the 3rd minute were not changed because A. he isn't going to rerecord the guitar and B. theres nothing technically wrong with the notation there. Its really preference to like it or not. As for me, I like it.

Strings were changed a bit, reverb added to guitar, main key issues fixed.

Overall, I still feel this song is not too well done, but at least its not flawed as it was before, thus resubmission. Probably has a much better chance this time around.

I'm not voting cause apparently I'm biased against everything.

the bad notes are fixed, as are the audio glitches.

these problems remain:

Guitar performance/sound/tuning issues.

String part still cheap and stupid-simple.

Maybe i'm just not a sucker for live guitars, but the thin lead sound is a turn-off, as are segments where it sounds like he's playing with one finger like 1:18 and 1:23. there are no legato notes in the performance.

Tuning is still an issue, most noticeably at :58 and 1:14.

i was on the line on this one until the lead guitar came in at 4:00. exclusively playing staccato 8th notes does not a stylish solo make.

Giving it a NO cause i can't get past the weak strings and guitar. however i expect to be a minority vote and will be content regardless of which way the decision goes.

Rhythm guitar was still a miss for me from :44-1:32, especially during it's more exposed portions; still can't let that go every time I hear it. The string patch is still relatively weak, as well as lacking in its note movements, but the whole note choices on it were so so terribly chosen last time and really undercut everything else here, which is why the fixes on the notes here significantly improved things.

Good stuff with the acoustic solo stuff from 2:37-onward into the Chrono Trigger reference and back into the percussion and string support at 3:52, and I had enjoyed that the first time around. The hint of reverb on the guitar to help alleviate the thin sound paid off primarily for the area before 1:32, and like I said, the notes on the string support being addressed helped this out a lot.

This didn't address every issue I had, but the panel varied a hell of a lot on what to do regarding smaller areas; besides, there's nothing wrong with keeping what you think works and fixing the more obvious, objective flubs. In any case, the revisions here were enough to gain my confidence just a bit beyond the borderline. Seriously, thanks a lot for taking a look and things and improving the overall work, Neil! It may have been annoying to go back on this and tweak it, but I really hope you enjoy the end result in the long-run!

YES

This is definitely stronger work. The whole piece is more cohesive now. My main gripe is the snare line - at times it really clutters the piece. Minor issue, and enough of the original's problems have been solved for me. Although, I do agree with Vigilante's wise opinions on this topic - the overall improvement here is definitely passable for me.

Borderline, YES.

however i expect to be a minority vote and will be content regardless of which way the decision goes.

STFU CHEECH!

Very soothing, most of the irksome parts have been retooled for '04. I agree with Vigi that alot of the guitar parts are so irresponsibly simple that even *I* could play it while having rabbid sex with Lindsey Lohan ontop of the Epcot sphere while the pope watches. Some complexity and, dare I say, daring (yes, I dare), would have really brought this piece out to a whole new level.

But the level its at is more than acceptable, especially since I happen to be a sucker for live anything.

YES

Oh, and Lindsey, if you're reading this... roadtrip?