Corneria Theme - Starfox

Hey guys and gals (maybe? I'm led to believe there are no girls on the internets),

First post here.. Finally uploaded my first remix to youtube, thought I'd get some feedback and answer any questions (if anyone even has any.. I'm sure you're all experienced here).

I really want to get more into doing remixes :smile:

It's your standard heavy metal/rock remix thats oh-so-common these days. But it's what I love.

Link is in my sig vvv

EDIT: Updated link from SoundCloud http://soundcloud.com/nameless164/star-fox-corneria

Urgh... some music posting etiquette would be nice, here. Asking for feedback on a song using a video that waits a minute before getting to the track is rather wearing on the listener. Furthmore, Youtube is a terrible place to host, since it hurts the sound files with it's compression. It's understandable if you'd like people to listen to your music on Youtube, but if you don't need to host there (like, say, for us here) try hosting an Mp3 on Tindeck.com or Box.net as well and link the track in this thread as well as your signature, please.

Now that that's out of the way, let's see what you've got...

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with this track. Clean production combined with a traditional metal style that I oh-so love. Needless to say, it's terribly short (at what, 1:30, total?), so I'd recommend making this longer, if at all possible.

I hear some overcompression at the end of the track, but again I can't tell if it's youtube's fault or a fault in the track. Hence why we prefer links to mp3's rather than videos on youtube.

It sounds like the drums are live. Nice work on it, but it needs some more 'snare' on the snare. Right now it sounds like a marching band - tighten the snare on that set for a crisper sound.

To be frank, it's a great track, but it's too short. Expand on it (getting it to... ~3:00 would be great) and perhaps add some more original material to fill that time (it's a bit conservative) and this could have a shot here on OCR.

Good luck.

Urgh... some music posting etiquette would be nice, here. Asking for feedback on a song using a video that waits a minute before getting to the track is rather wearing on the listener. Furthmore, Youtube is a terrible place to host, since it hurts the sound files with it's compression. It's understandable if you'd like people to listen to your music on Youtube, but if you don't need to host there (like, say, for us here) try hosting an Mp3 on Tindeck.com or Box.net as well and link the track in this thread as well as your signature, please.

Now that that's out of the way, let's see what you've got...

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with this track. Clean production combined with a traditional metal style that I oh-so love. Needless to say, it's terribly short (at what, 1:30, total?), so I'd recommend making this longer, if at all possible.

I hear some overcompression at the end of the track, but again I can't tell if it's youtube's fault or a fault in the track. Hence why we prefer links to mp3's rather than videos on youtube.

It sounds like the drums are live. Nice work on it, but it needs some more 'snare' on the snare. Right now it sounds like a marching band - tighten the snare on that set for a crisper sound.

To be frank, it's a great track, but it's too short. Expand on it (getting it to... ~3:00 would be great) and perhaps add some more original material to fill that time (it's a bit conservative) and this could have a shot here on OCR.

Good luck.

I agree, most of my friends said it should be longer. But the theme itself really doesn't have much to work with. I'd add more but thats something I really dont like to do minus writing a solo over some provided rythm, but at that time nothing really came to me. I was also on time constraints to submit it to a little video game album on another website, so I wanted to get it out as quick as possible.

The overcompression came from a very quick master where I simply limited the shit out of it and didn't pay a whole lot of attention. I'm pretty sure some was due to Youtube also. I didn't know much about mastering back then and if I could remaster I would, but I only have the final track.

The drums are from Superior Drummer: The Metal Foundry, great VST. I programmed the drum track maybe 3 or 4 months before I finaly got around to recording the song in it's entirety, but only had the .wav file of the whole drum track. I figured the sound was pretty good so I just stuck with it.

Like I said in the video description though, I may rewrite and rerecord some time in the future if I find a collaborator. I need an ideas man to keep me motivated or else nothing gets done.

Thanks for the crit :D

EDIT: I'll also put together a soundcloud profile to host my tracks.

Hey there, this is my first post too and as a fan of metal and this song, it seems like a good place to start. At the moment its a pretty solid start, with clean production. But I would have to agree with Gario that it would benefit from being a bit longer and more interpretive, because right now its more of a remaster than a remix (to my ears anyway). A guitar solo or a softer section using clean guitars may add to it.

I guess I'm late to the critique party... First off I'll say that this is my genre so your critique will be harsh. I'll also say right off the bat that I'm impressed with the track in general. Intro guitar might be a little dry (maybe slap a long delay 400-500 ms on it to give some more epic flavor) The harmonies were all dead on, which is very nice. The double bass at 0:33 was too much and I would personally tone it down a bit (maybe some double bass variations, and not just a straight blast). The track needs some more length- OCR won't take it unless it's bare minimum 2:00 min. I would drop soundclown or whatever that site is and get a tindeck profile. This allows users to download your track, which would allow me to give a production value critique as well. It's obvious you spent some time on the drums arrangement, and it flows well, so I won't attack it too much. The ride cymbal seems a little off to me( I feel like it's used a little too freely in a lot of parts, and it doesn't quite fit...) but it's not offensive at all. Over-all, the track is a win. I just can't identify any production problems.

BTW, if you want to get more into doing remixes, check out my thread for a potential album project. Your work is good and I could use some mixers like you

CLICK ME FOR THREAD

*EDIT So I just read that you don't have the session files or the raw mixdown. Unfortunately, OCR won't accept this until it's at bare minimum 2:00. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're either gonna have to re-work the entire mix, or try to blend some new tracks in with the old to add length (I recommend trying the latter first). Do what you have to to get this track to 2:30 to avoid length issues (they might still bitch at 2:30) . On a side note, Sbeast64, please drop that Chrono Trigger Frog Avatar. It literally made your post look weak when I read it (This is the most random thing I'll probably ever post). You seem like you know what you're saying so I want everyone to feel the credibility there.

Lolz on myself for completely shameless recruiting. You want it to stop Gario? Remix a song :-P

Sbeast, You can't get any more credible than Axel of SoR2. It literally makes your other post look more authoritative (And I already read it before) Lol. :-P

Who the hell judges the validity of a remixer's post based on his avatar anayway? LMAO I have problems.

Thanks for the crit, guys. Always appreciated :)

I'd love to take part but for two reasons I can't. I've never heard of the game (not a major issue) and I'm in between collecting new guitar gear at the moment. I'm switching from slumming it on a Line 6 Pod to proper amp recording. Good times :)

I'm also thinking of writing a bunch of game arrangements, so maybe I'll re-work Corneria in the future when I get hit with some inspiration.