OCR00358 - Killing Game Show "Daft"

Saunders

Killing Game Show 'Daft'

Mistah P. AKA djpretzel, says this mix is a take on Daft Punk's style. Well, I don't know a lot about Daft Punk, in fact the only song I know for sure is that annoying Around the World tune, and so I can't say this sounds like any Daft Punk I've heard. But it definitely sounds better than Around the World. This is a fairly fast mix with a lot of different things going on, on different layers. The drums are cool, the melody is okay, the samples are pretty cool. Not in my top ten, but still pretty damn good.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Being a Daft Punk fan, I was eager to download this track, even if I had no freakin' clue what a Killing Game Show was. I must say that I was not disappointed in the least. It does sound a little like Daft Punk, especially after 1:44, which sounds like the song Aerodynamic. The song is great. One of my personal favorites, and not just because of the Daft Punkiness.

• 4 months later...

This is damn good stuff. Im yet another person who has never played the Killing Game Show but this kind of music makes me think 'what am i missing'. The depth and detail of this piece is incredible. Some might start to think its just daft punk/techno but i like to see what the reality is and this is one of the most creative pieces ive heard. The different layer's of sound is what i like. As well as with "PrimeTime", this piece has superb vocal samples. The opening and ending is outstanding and the way the various features of the piece fit in is good. Top stuff mutagene. I urge anyone and everyone to download this now.

• 1 year later...

I too am a Daft Punk fan, but this ReMix only vaguely displays the qualities of Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo's work.

You could say it sounds like a bootleg remake of "Aerodynamic", but nothing quite as good as DP's songs.

As a stand-alone effort though, I'd have to say this was very well done, concise work.

• 10 months later...

"Now it is time to take longer strides"--Peter Griffin anyone?

Eh, it's a little low-pitched to be Peter Griffin. Anyway, this is a great song...I actually find Daft Punk more annoying than this mix suggests. The graty, underground feeling works well...reminds me of Earthworm Jim for some reason. Props mutagene, one of my favorite remixers on OCR.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Super high quality synth work, and great textures, but it seems to me that the source tune is a bit bland? There is a bit of cool riffage sprinkled throughout, but the strengths of the mix come from the attention to detail and personalization.

I guess the lesson here is that Mutagene can take a lame source and make it good. Nice work. :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Plenty of attention to detail in this. The synths are all sounding pretty good, and the balance is also solid. There isn't too much real melody throughout, making it a bit difficult to focus on (easily distracted here by the internet), but it works nicely as background. I'm still not crazy about the voice clips, but that's a personal pet peeve of mine, and doesn't necessarily mean they are bad.

The panning is particularly good at 1:58 to near the end. I was really enjoying that section. I like the mix, though it's not the most ear grabbing thing out there.

• 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00358 - Killing Game Show "Daft"