OCRA-0002 - Donkey Kong Country: Kong in Concert

Digital Coma

Augh. I listened to this project thouroughly today, and I'm sad to say I don't care for it much. I won't name names, but several of these "remixes" bear almost no resemblance to the original tracks. I don't get why people start remixing a particular game, as a homage, and then put their own made-up trance anthem/bad choir patch as the focus of their entry, maybe taking ten-seconds to cover the original melody. Sorry, it just bothers me.

I've come out of hibernation/lurking to say that you are not alone.

Maybe I'm just missing something here since I didn't follow the creation of this album on the forums. The songs are great in production quality and could easily stand alone, but some of them bear so little resemblance to the game's tracks that I struggle to find the original melody. I just don't see how some of them made it into an album dedicated to the game.

But as one above poster said, beggars can't be choosers.

I'm just disappointed that the classic melodies I'd loved from DKC years ago are so subdued and hard to follow in the tracks on this album. :?

See, I'm the other way around. My favorite tracks on the album are the ones that are very liberal takes on the originals. If I want nostalgia, I'll listen to the original song. I want to hear other peoples takes on it, and I like to hear it in a very different style. GrayLightnings Fear Factory mix is probably the best example of this. It's just an AMAZING song, and it's such a different style from the original. The original would probably be most suited to a techno/trance remix, and that would be pretty boring compared to what GrayLightning has done.

I'm also finding that due to how often I've played this game, I know the originals VERY well and can easily follow the original melody in the remixes.

As for the music, all I can say is:

Wow.

There's not much more to say than that...absolutely the best Donkey Kong remixes I've ever heard. I'm not even halfway through yet, and I'm already in heaven.

ROFL! Just got to Funky Monkey Love :lol: Brilliant!

A great big thank you to everybody who worked on this. You guys have seriously made my day here.

GrayLightnings Fear Factory mix is probably the best example of this. It's just an AMAZING song, and it's such a different style from the original. The original would probably be most suited to a techno/trance remix, and that would be pretty boring compared to what GrayLightning has done.

Thanks! 8)

DJPretzel is also posting my Machina mix next as the second mix for the DKC spotlight. Expect it at OCR within a week. :D

Thanks to the slashdot and me stupidly leaving links to the server hosted MP3s, my site binnie.org ran about 160 gigabytes over its allotted bandwidth.

I'm having problems with my account at superbhosting.net, so for now and probably for long dkcproject.ocremix.org will redirect to http://members.cox.net/dkcproject

Use that address for now while we get the domain redirected to the Cox site.

http://dkcproject.ocremix.org is back online thanks to aubrey hosting the site on SuperTux. I need all the fast, dedicated mirrors I can get. Contact me privately if you can provide one for the MP3s, OGGs, or both.

A question though, can I expect some sort of album art/covers to be released?

These are offered as printable Nero Cover Design files available in the torrent and now on the download page of the site.

Is anyone else having trouble using the cue files to burn? I tried to load the cue into Daemon Tools first, and it gave me an error saying that line 2 was too long. I tried to load it into Nero and it says it has trouble loading it and then puts line 2 in parentheses. So how exactly do I burn it? I don't want to have to manually set each file that has to been set to 0 pregap.

I am utterly disappointed in this album as a whole. While there are two or three good songs among the 22 total, my personal favorites from the OST (Mine Cart Madness, Funky's Fugue, Aquatic Ambience) were utterly butchered. Mine Cart Madness...did Protricity really have to make a dance-techno mix of that? That was the best one in the game and it was destroyed by such a stretch in genre!

I am utterly disappointed in this album as a whole. While there are two or three good songs among the 22 total, my personal favorites from the OST (Mine Cart Madness, Funky's Fugue, Aquatic Ambience) were utterly butchered. Mine Cart Madness...did Protricity really have to make a dance-techno mix of that? That was the best one in the game and it was destroyed by such a stretch in genre!

rofl.. I did it on purpose to piss you off.

Anyway, this site might not be for you. I'd recommend going here instead. Music there might be more to your liking

Dance what now?

Anyway, someone else had the same problem, Fusion2004. Make sure each cue file in each CD folder remains there with the respective WAVs when you load the cue in your burning program. If they are and it still doesn't work, try updating your version of Nero or try CDRWIN. Both cue files follow common CD standards, so they should work with programs that follow them too.

stfu.

Dance what now?

Anyway, someone else had the same problem, Fusion2004. Make sure each cue file in each CD folder remains there with the respective WAVs when you load the cue in your burning program. If they are and it still doesn't work, try updating your version of Nero or try CDRWIN. Both cue files follow common CD standards, so they should work with programs that follow them too.

They are, and it is. But i found I can mount/burn the second cue fine. And it now appears that Daemon Tools desn't like line 19 of the first cue file. (It says the file name is to long.)

this was very well put together. nice job with the variants of instruments and differnet musical stylings.

esp. the aquatic ambience. it's been a personal favourite for quite some time. the feeling was captured quite well.

we're seeding copies as we speak. thanks again. hope to see more of these type projects in the future.

- lovinz' : fossil and mia. :D

The fact that this person can bash three generally agreed strong mixes on the album and still find stuff he likes speaks volumes about how strong and full of diversity this album is. Moreso it is important to note(Protricity already kindly pointed out) that any person who thinks that bLiNd, Protricity and Vigilante butchered their respective tracks is a fag.

It is no small thing to say this project includes my favorite Adhesive Boy, Gray Lightning(MA) and Vigilante(BtS) track. However that being said as a fan of Israfel's work his mix does not appeal to me at all. But overall congratulations are in order for Digital Coma and all of the remixers involved in this project for their sucess

So I suppose I'm alone in feeling that Vigilante's lyrics were too creepy to listen to more than once? And that it would be completely unreasonable of me to so much as hope for a voiceless version of that mix?

Other than the lyrical song, I concur with the effusive praise above, and likely with that which is to follow.