OCRA-0002 - Donkey Kong Country: Kong in Concert

Digital Coma

I got a response from David Wise, and I'm posting it at Binnie's request.

Hi Jesse

How did I hear about the remix project?

A programmer colleague sent me an email with the link. He works on the team

that has been responsible for the DKC conversions to GBA.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the soundtrack and for taking

the time and energy to reinvigorate the format.

I look forward to hearing your own original compositions in the future.

Regards,

Dave Wise.

I should also say, for legal reasons, that the views expressed here are

from my own personal perspective and don't necessarily represent the views

of the company I work for. Cos you never know who's reading.....

As i knew of his presence on the NI forums, i emailed him as well

Hi Jordan

Thank you for your kind comments.

(I do frequent the NI forums. I've go most of their plugs. I also like

Propellor heads stuff too.)

As regards your tracks, I enjoyed listening to them all.

It's nice to hear them from a different angle.

The SNES chip held 64k in memory which contaned all the samples for the

soundtrack and sfx. Also midi wasn't an option in thoses days either. The

tunes were written in HEX code. A note had one number for pitch and one for

it's length and there were 8 mono channels max. Whilst I enjoyed the

challenge, it's also nice to hear versions witout the original constraints.

I composed Aquatic Ambience and Fear Factory. I arranged and programmed

Funky's Flights, which Robin Beanland composed.

I certainly appreciate your work, time and energy involved. Thank you.

Wishing you success with your own compositions,

Dave Wise.

For the record I should point out that the views expressed in this email

are my own and don't necessarily represnt those of the company I work for.

Because sadly, you never know whose reading.....

As far as I know, basically all of the videogame music composers who know about this community and have said something, have responded positively to it, and not brought up any copywrite issues.

And hell, the composer of the Secret of Evermore soundtrack, Jeremy Soule, actually made a remix of Terra's Theme from FFVI that was posted here at OCR about 6 months or so ago. Unless that was revealed at some point to be a hoax, in which case I'll just shut the hell up.

Anyway, Kudos to all involved in this project for getting such a positive response from one of the original composers. Nice Work, Guys. Seriously.

I am just proud to be a fan of Donkey Kong Country in general and having some of my replies and comments in the project history thread, and impressively proud to hear "the king" respond personally. Imagine you being a big fan of for instance Britney Spears, and you make a "remix project" or something for her album, and she emails you personally to congratulate and tell her own opinions... Wow, exactly what we got here.

But it still makes me sad why I didn't participate more than I did to get more honor. ;) Maybe D. Wise himself is willing to join our remixing community and eventually contribute or give feedback? If he still composes music as hobby? Or he is probably too busy with work anyway. Just my thoughts... an endless dream.

No matter what, I am interested in following his current life, job and projects after this. I have always looked up to him, and after this he has become one of my idols. Does he know anything about what Robin Beanland and Eveline Fischer are doing now? If yes, did he tell them about Kong in Concert?

Don't consider me being somekind of lawyer, but SPC rips origin from a SNES emulator (for example ZSNES). The ROMs are illegal, but emulators - are they legal or illegal? In fact that you once could buy the soundtrack means, that the songs are/were copyrighted, and having the rips of/ripping the original chiptunes wouldn't be legal. But as long as the original artists respond positively to the remixes (and in that case: the chiptunes hosted), there's no reason to complain. :)

Imagine you being a big fan of for instance Britney Spears, and you make a "remix project" or something for her album, and she emails you personally to congratulate and tell her own opinions... Wow, exactly what we got here.

Except Brittney Spears is a lot hotter than Dave Wise.

Okay so who's with me on the BritneySpearsRemixProject?

BSPROJECT.OCREMIX.ORG

Digital Coma, I'm curious to know what MP3 encoder and options/commandline you used for the files on the download page.

I see you the 1.0 encoder was used for the Ogg Vorbis files. Vorbis's version 1.1 encoder is out now, with a fair deal of quality improvements over 1.0 especially in lower bitrates. Vorbis.com doesn't have it yet, as sluggishly as that site is updated, but you can get it from the first link in this thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15049

smh, in Arboreal Ascent what is that quote around 2:31? It's disturbingly familiar.

It's a nice little touch how Vigilante worked Frog, Kraid, and Zelda into Beneath the Surface. ^^ I hear something at 3:15 too that sounds like Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64, but I'm not sure. Nor do I remember the name of that Zelda song right at the end.

Well...I'd have to say that tracks 8 and 9 were just plain BAD. Especially 8. Yeah, it was funny, but it was way too far. Though I don't think your voice is as bad as Protoman does. I might even go so far as to say it's (*gasp*) good. :P

I like Pirate Prelude. We need more ragtime-esque remixes. I just love ragtime. *hums the Entertainer* Holy crap...for a moment, I thought it skipped slightly (weird since I'm not playing it from a CD)...but it actually went to the next track. Yeah, it would have been a far better idea to put stuff together on one file if it goes straight together like that.

The rest are good...nothing extraordinary, but good. But Godiva in the Desert doesn't come anywhere near Israfel's other mixes.

LIONTAMER (LARRY OJI)

I wAnNa WoRsHiP u!!!!!! U r TeH cOoLeSt RaDiO h0sT eV4r!!! FuNnY sH1T mAn!!! I oWe U mAtEy! i WaNnA hAv Ur email & IM adresses sO i CaN sPaM aNd Ju5t MaIl yOu EvErY dAy! VG Frequency r0XX0rZ.

:) Whew, I got my message out of my head. #31 Peel My Banana, I listened to it all two weeks ago. I will donate you all my money when I get a credit card....!

analoq: Did I ever tell you that you ICe Cave Chant beta with Aetherius was better than dodilop do wop? ;)

*whistles innocently*

...say what about my icecave mix?

analoq said:
Vigilante said:
analoq said:
since Karmus was asking for early versions of our mixes, i decided to upload the WIP of the collab Atherius and i were working on for Ice Cave Chant.

http://apm.m2pc.com/stuff/aetherifgt.ogg (3.8m)

it's kinda catchy at parts but ultimately this proved to be a... very bad idea.

cheers.

...who is singing?

that'd be starky.

Wagh...I didn't ever hear this version.

For info to the curious...the singing would be a lot better if I'd actually had this music to sing along with...and not used my shittier mic to record it....If you listen, you can hear some really high pitched feedback in the background...and it's not cool.

Meh, I might do a similar mix of this at some later date on my own...try to get my 80's synthpop vision to come to fruition.

Though, hearing this version that I never did get to hear...I'm liking it much better than doliwop do wop...not that I liked it much anyway.

pants.

The mp3s were encoded with the lame-3.96 build, using RazorLame 1.1.5 front-end, alt VBR r3mix preset. I did encode the oggs with Vorbis 1.0; wasn't aware of a newer version, but as they were balanced between small filesize and fidelity, I think they came out great.

*nods*

I'm not saying you should go back & redo them. Just letting you know for the future, if you use Vorbis. :)

Also, the r3mix command is not recommended since it was based on flawed analysis in the first place. In fact, LAME 3.96 now interprets "--r3mix" as a completely different setting since so many people still use the line. =p

"--preset standard" is the currently recommended commandline for hi-qual VBR.

[/technical shiz]

So can no one help me out with the musical phrases in question? :?

smh, in Arboreal Ascent what is that quote around 2:31? It's disturbingly familiar.

It's a nice little touch how Vigilante worked Frog, Kraid, and Zelda into Beneath the Surface. ^^ I hear something at 3:15 too that sounds like Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64, but I'm not sure. Nor do I remember the name of that Zelda song right at the end.

Also, the r3mix command is not recommended since it was based on flawed analysis in the first place. In fact, LAME 3.96 now interprets "--r3mix" as a completely different setting since so many people still use the line. =p

"--preset standard" is the currently recommended commandline for hi-qual VBR.[/technical shiz]

Yeah, --r3mix is what I meant.

As for the musical allusions, I don't know how ~2:31 in Arboreal Ascent is a quote... it's part of an original organ solo. 3:15 in Beneath the Surface is also original, but yes, there are fragments of Frog, Kraid, and something from Zelda 64 at the end.

analoq: Did I ever tell you that you ICe Cave Chant beta with Aetherius was better than dodilop do wop? ;)

no, and i'd have preferred not to hear that.

neither tune is great, but...

some poppy mess better than pure analoq groove?

i think not!

OK, I was kidding, sorry. I just liked the melody. But seriously, do you have an instrumental version of it? (This question is not a joke.)

The entire album (or the 10 tracks I've downloaded so far, anyways) freaking rocks - the quality is exceptional :D

The only one moment I didn't enjoy is the mixing between the last two tracks - I expected it to kind of flow straight from one to the the other - instead we got a fade in/out with beats that didn't even match eachother ^^;

regardless, all the artists have done a great job - I love the album ^^

~Hadyn