OCRA-0002 - Donkey Kong Country: Kong in Concert

Digital Coma

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is my favorite Remix compilation far. I work in vibration control and loud speaker manufacturing for High End 2 channel. This is my reference CD. I am blown away by how great this soundtrack came out. I was not expecting this after listening to some of the other sound tracks. Thank You! This is the best of the best in terms of fidelity and composition!

I redownloaded the album (each track individually from dkcproject.ocremix.org) for the first time in 6 years, having experienced a hard drive wipe recently.

I noticed some tracks are different than they were back in 2006. For example, Cry of the Chasmal Critter Chain begins with strings, bells and piano in the opening and I'm literally 100% sure it wasn't like that before. When were these updated?

Also, phenominal album. On Disc 1 I'm particularly fond of West Coast DK Island, Cry of the Chasmal Critter Chain, Rest & Respite and Beneath the Surface, and I really love Disc 2's Clouded Mind and Ringing Ears & Rare Reminiscence. These are just highlights though--I love the album as a whole. Really solid stuff.

Edit: holy shit, listening to Funky Monkey Love for the first time in years is AWESOME. Sounds different too.

I'm practically 100% certain that I downloaded the album first and deliberately avoided the mixposts (having had the album), but right now I checked out 3 of the mixposts (Caves, Funky, Gangplank Galleon) and they're definitely the ones I'm familiar with.

I'm still fairly certain didn't download the mixposts, and I deliberately remember individually saving each mp3 from the KiC website. Maybe I'm trippin', who knows? In any case I like these transitions so it doesn't really matter :)

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

This is Digital Coma, the "director" or organizer for this album. It's been more than a decade since I was last involved in OCR and Kong in Concert feels like a lifetime ago, but I thought I'd drop by and say a few words after all these years.

It's pretty neat to see that KiC still has an audience almost 12 years on. Looking back, it's safe to say that I didn't always know what I was doing with what was to be the follow up to OCR's very first remix album. We did things on the fly, we struggled to put together a team, and there were plenty of mistakes made along the way. But what started out as a small summer side project with no lack of naysayers and haters ended up a surprisingly big hit, and in the end we had a solid homage album whose impact in the community I'm happy to see continues today.

I won't say much more since I like that there's some legend surrounding how everything came together. But I do want to give thanks to everyone who's enjoyed the music over the years, and a special thanks to the remixers, djp, and OCR for making it all possible. :)

Cheers,
DC

• 3 years later...

This album still brings me delight more than 15 years later and I just wanted to say thank you and well done to all of the fine people who were a part of it. It makes me feel nostalgia not only for the days when my cousin and I would stuff a towel underneath the door so that his parents wouldn't see we were up late playing Donkey Kong Country (or other SNES games of the era) in the dark, but also for when this and other early OCR albums were my "get stuff done" music.

• 4 months later...

So Digital Coma was delighted that the album still had fans in 2016? It still has fans in 2020.

I really wanted to try and celebrate this early milestone achievement of OCR and so, as part of a retrospective Youtube series I'm working on, here is a short video review / retrospective

A Friend Remembers: Kong in Concert

Kong in Concert.png

Edited by Swifthom

• 10 months later...

I downloaded Kong in Concert nearly 20 years ago when I was in college, and it has never left my music library since. I put it on in the background during a game night a while back, and it caught people's ear to the point where they'd just stop what they were doing and listen. I even used it as test material to try out a rebuilt cassette deck... I'm now close to wearing out that tape.

This is the first full album collab I really got into from OC ReMix, and it's still a joy to listen to. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. The only way this could be better is if there was a hi-res lossless version available.