OCR02074 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Chivalry Begins"

djpretzel

Very cool to see Jimmy finally laying down a vocal/guitars mix for the site, after hearing him do songs live at meetups. I can't help but wish for a less auto-tuney sound for the chorus, but that was a minor part of a powerful, moving mix. The vocal delivery was still good, and the mix of guitars and synths was excellent. Also, happy birthday, dude!

If you saw my comment on YouTube, then most of what I have to say is already said.

Most VRs (Vocal Remixs) make me turn the other way just as I hear the first verse, but there was something different to this one.

I considered it shaky and a little too low at the beginning, but as he went along, I just couldn't help but sit in my seat and listen. (Man, I wish I could do that.)

I always thought that Rising Sun has that pop-ballad potential somehow... when listening to the Seiken Densetsu soundtrack I often - unaware of what I am doing - try to sing some random phrases along with the melody.

Might it be the chord progression or the melody or everything together... the source material was somehow made to be remixed someday exactly in the fashion you did.

The lyrics might be considered cheesy, but that is perfectly fine. It really fits well into the kindness of the whole song.

The guitar solo is also absolutely beautiful. If I had tried this, I would have melted the whole song down, but you managed to create a tone that has balls while still holding on to the grace the song needs.

Also I think this song fits really well for the Songs for the Cure project and my deepest respect for you to create such a masterpiece.

I think this mixpost has everything that makes a great remix. Thanks for sharing this one

I almost gave up on this song too early. It started very weak, in my opinion, but once the chorus came, I was hooked. There's a certain Duncan Sheik vibe going on with with this remix, especially in the vocals, which I like.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Dave/Larry for posting this, truly unexpected!

The style I'd say I was probably most influenced by (well, maybe except for the trancy-synth stuff) was probably the Goo Goo Dolls--at least the singing and the acoustic guitar anyway :)

Favorite Youtube comment about it so far: "So gay" rofl *edit* haha, looks like someone deleted it already :P

I'm not usually a big fan of vocal remixes (which is a stupid bias, I know), but I really dig this one. I've got a lot of BGC's mixes in my library already, but this one still surprised me as it wasn't necessarily what I expected when I thought of him doing a vocal mix. The production is great and the vocals really impressed me - definitely an emotional performance without being over-the-top. Much respect for being a part of Songs for the Cure, as well. Awesome job.

Very awesome mix: strong energy, passion, and excellent execution. I'm happy to see it on something like Songs for the Cure. One of my best friend's eldest brother passed away two weeks ago after a long struggle with Cancer. He was buried with his character sheet and dice; I get the feeling that he would have liked VG music being used to help find a cure.

the mix has a catchy chorus and a pleasant ostinato on bells (or piano?).

both :)

Very awesome mix: strong energy, passion, and excellent execution. I'm happy to see it on something like Songs for the Cure. One of my best friend's eldest brother passed away two weeks ago after a long struggle with Cancer. He was buried with his character sheet and dice; I get the feeling that he would have liked VG music being used to help find a cure.

Sorry to hear about that, my condolences to your friend. :(

Happy b-day mix Jimmy!

I remember hearing a very early version of this on your site years ago. Was happy to see you finally finish the song off. :) Good take on a classic theme dude.

Thanks man, it's a pretty old mix for sure lol

It sounds amazing. At first I wasn't quite sure I would like it enough to listen all the way through if it had cheesy lyrics and an easy beat, but I took a look at the lyrics and . . . wow. That's all. This is an awesome piece.

I need to work harder on making my lyrics cheesier then, right? ;)

Got the chance to give this thread some love!

FINALLY BGC gives us vocals for one of his OC ReMixes. I only want more of them! Beautiful track, Jim. Since you have so many FFA tracks, I take it that's your favorite game?

Well, I wouldn't say it's my favorite game exactly, but I do love it a lot, and as far as Gameboy games go, it's got some of the best music on that platform, which is saying a lot, since I love a ton of GB soundtracks!

I'm extremely flattered by all the kind comments here and on youtube where people are saying "You know I don't really like vocal mixes, but hey, this is pretty good!" To an amateur singer dude like myself, that's a wonderful compliment and warmly received.

That being said, I'm a little ticked off at The Crakaz for stealing all mah vocal hate. :< SAVE SOME FOR ME NEXT TIME JOE :)!!

I'ma go out on a limb and say I really enjoy lyrical remixes (but I also really enjoy non-lyrical remixes too). Not sure why others do not, but to each their own.

Anyway, really liking this mix. To point out what others have already said (and what BGC has already admitted), I'm definately hearing the Goo Goo Dolls influence. That was basically my first thought upon listening to this song. My other thought was "This is Epic!"

And as far as the somewhat cheesy lyrics go... I listen to fantasy metal, so really, the cheesier the better :P

Awesome mix.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say that I really enjoyed the vocals, especially considering that Jimmy is an "amateur" (to put it in his own words). I hope we'll hear more of that in the future. The lyrics are really cheesy, though, but that's not something that bothers me.

The guitar solo has a rather epic sound to it. The trance riffs in the last part of the song are an interesting addition; on the one hand, they sound kinda weird in a song like that, but on the other hand, the do add a certain awesomeness to it.

Wow. It took me entirely too long to actually hear this mix but I have to say... it's very tingly good. All of the harmonies resonate in just the right way, it's a great interpretation, and it's really sweet and romantic. Something that can only be said about a select few songs here on OCR.

Great source tune to. I didn't think anyone was gonna compare with Ziwtra's cover but you definitely matched and then lapped it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02074 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Chivalry Begins"