OCR01242 - Donkey Kong Country "Beneath the Surface"

djpretzel

thanks again, folks.

just forgot to mention something:

the abrupt beginning is there kind of on purpose. what happened was when i mixeddown the song there was that noise you hear at the beginning, which was NOT anywhere in the waveform. i think it's leftover delay from the sax at the end. sonar was acting odd with the sax in general. anyway, i thought it sounded really cool so i decided to keep it.

oh, and as for the CT, Metroid, Zelda in the ending:

They are there. I like them there; i think they provide interesting countermeoldy for the focus of the piece at that point, the vocals and sax. I didnt premeditate them being there, but that doesnt mean i'm changing it. I'm not. i like it. they stay. deal.

thx.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sigh... such a beautiful piece of work this one is. An instant classic. This is one of those that when you show it to people they don't grimace and say, "oh, it's one of those synthesized video game songs."

No, this takes the original and keeps true to it, while adding wonderful spins on the track.

Really makes one wonder where McVaffe went. He used to do work like this.

Zipp

• 4 months later...

I love this track... I took a trip by myself to Australia and New Zealand last fall for about 2 months and this song became an anthem for my experience. I spent a lot of time on my own hiking, reading, and relaxing and this song always served as a great accompaniment to my moments of introspection. I am very thankful to the artist that covered this classic Donkey Kong Country theme, there are so many layers to the song that each listen is different for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Let me be honest with you. It really peeves me whenever I hear a re-mix is not in the original key of the source. It's the first thing I catch. Next is accuracy. How closely is this person following the main melody? The chords? The base?

So at first I was like, "...oh no... here we go...," but then the sexxy saxx starts playing and it gets my attention. The accoustic guitar could be delayed electric, but I'm liking it either way... by the time it gets to that bossa-nova part, I just about cream my pants!!! LORD! THIS is what I call a DECENT remix. And then the guitar solo after that. AWH haw haw. (Picture Homer Simpson savoring his chocolate...)

Only thing I go "huh?" about is the random insertion of Chrono Trigger's Frog Theme. Uh... WHY??? I mean, it's on key and everything... but why? So random.

Other than that, WHOAH. Dude. This is professional work. I'm surprised I could download this for FREE and you don't have RIAA breathing down our necks.

I say again, m8, good show.

I've had this song in my playlist for what...over a year now and it hasn't grown old yet. 10/10 and three thumbs up!! Don't ask what the 3rd one is.

Let me be honest with you. It really peeves me whenever I hear a re-mix is not in the original key of the source. It's the first thing I catch. Next is accuracy. How closely is this person following the main melody? The chords? The base?

So at first I was like, "...oh no... here we go...," but then the sexxy saxx starts playing and it gets my attention. The accoustic guitar could be delayed electric, but I'm liking it either way... by the time it gets to that bossa-nova part, I just about cream my pants!!! LORD! THIS is what I call a DECENT remix. And then the guitar solo after that. AWH haw haw. (Picture Homer Simpson savoring his chocolate...)

Only thing I go "huh?" about is the random insertion of Chrono Trigger's Frog Theme. Uh... WHY??? I mean, it's on key and everything... but why? So random.

Other than that, WHOAH. Dude. This is professional work. I'm surprised I could download this for FREE and you don't have RIAA breathing down our necks.

I say again, m8, good show.

Heh, I'm surprised that they don't charge us for listenning to K.Rool Intentions either, which is another song which is as sexy as this 1 ;-)

• 3 months later...

I've been going through a hard time of things lately. I won't go into details, but for whatever reason, I have latched onto this song to help get me through. There is something so beautifully soothing about it, so deep and understanding and hopeful, that I cannot get it out of my head. And that's a good thing--it has given me some peace. Thank you truly for it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since he mentioned Psalm 23:

Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.  https://bibliajfa.com.br/app/kjv_apocrypha/19O/23/1

Edited by Neo_Vegeta
That they may know Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I literally made this account to post here. I saw a coment by Sefy that was kinda disturbing and I just had to say that this is by far my favorite song as of now. I had this song for a while but that last coment showed how some people like to speak they're mind with no general direction. In that case I'll do the same :-o

Anyway I wanted to make a mix of music that can match this song and so far I havent been able to find anything as soothing and beautifull as this. I often play this song as I sleep its incredible. The under-sea ambient relaxes me and the slow jazz makes great dinner music? I don't know how to discribe it but you made a masterpiece that I may enjoy for a long time to come, thank you :)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't even feel qualified to be commenting on this piece... it is the definitive Aquatic Ambiance mix and I don't think anything has done this well at reimagining the theme since. Even the parts that others pointed out as being problematic (the ending) didn't bother me and I kind of enjoyed gradually becoming aware of all the different cameos at the end as I expanded my video game music horizons.

This is my second most-played song, I'm just totally in awe at what's been created here. One of the best remixes out there! :-o

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01242 - Donkey Kong Country "Beneath the Surface"