Yume Nikki (Dream Diary)

Gunpei Yokoi had the good type of "bonkers" though as rather than making overly critical reviews he actually made games from ideas that were available; not from some silly, myopic philosophy from which Kotick espouses disgustingly.

Creativity is key here

As for Pixelante, the wiki page for that subject speaks for it self. :lol:

So I actually went and did a little digging to see if I could play this reliably, without a lot of program bullshite as the first link you can find on google tries to insist you need.

http://yumenikki.wikia.com/wiki/Yume_Nikki

I don't know if this is the latest version, or if anything particular is missing, but it works and I'm having a great time playing it so far.

I love games that play to not only audiences who are into exploring, but also those games that challenge you to shelf your expectations about what a game is. Would I call it art? Sure, because art is merely the medium through which you express yourself as best you can. This game expresses a lot of things, and I believe it also let's the gamer interpret what they are seeing (and there's a lot of weird stuff to interpret) without hand holding.

It's difficult, I'll give it that. Not in the sense that you're dying all the time, but rather that you have to use your powers of observation and exploration (try using a pencil and paper if you're getting lost a lot) to figure stuff out. It's like the original Legend of Zelda, where you didn't have a choice but to map out stuff so you could find it again.

The only thing I would change is the parallax in almost every level. I find it hard to believe anyone could play straight through this game and not get either motion sick or have a major headache.

http://yumenikki.wikia.com/wiki/Yume_Nikki

I don't know if this is the latest version, or if anything particular is missing, but it works and I'm having a great time playing it so far.

The only thing I would change is the parallax in almost every level. I find it hard to believe anyone could play straight through this game and not get either motion sick or have a major headache.

Yes, that appears to be the most up-to-date version. I found an "English" version which required me to install the Japanese RM2k3 RTP, and change my unicode language to Japanese, but that ended up just being a mess. This is the best route to go.

As for the parallaxes (parallaxi?) I find them more disturbing than anything else... and I get motion sick just by sitting in a car. I don't think they go THAT fast