Rudora no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudras) - The Quest for Rudra's Mines

suikun

First post, first remix, first everything.

Original:

Rudora no Hihou (Secret Treasure of the Rudras) is a pretty unknown RPG by Squaresoft for the SNES which hasn't been released outside Japan. Interestingly its composer is the same as the one for Mystic Quest Legend/Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. The soundtrack is great (listen to The Spirit Chaser!), why aren't there any remixes up here yet?

Anyway, this my first self made remix, though it's probably more of an arrangement than a remix. It's a pretty straightforward orchestration of the main screen's theme, probably way too close to the original to ever meet OCR's guidelines.

But it's my first try at arranging, so I'd love feedback anyway :P

img.php?fid=857

(downloadable here, please use sparingly)

...I forgot the ID3 tag -_-

The volume is a bit low but that's intended to support the structure (yeah right ^^;).

I know the end is pretty rough but I actually like it the way it is.

Am I overdoing it at the climax and making it too muddy? I don't have any speakers, so I'd like some feedback on the overall soundscape balance. I am also very unsure of the reverb settings.

Good stuff and yes, too close to source.

During introduction, the melody (harp) stays on the left channel for too long with nothing on the right. I think either put it in center (it's the lead after all) or introduce something on the right to balance out the sound.

I noticed a few timing issues here, some notes are straying away from the beats .... but maybe I feel too sleepy now.

A lot of stuff plays on left speaker and it feels a bit ..... uncomfortable. I think you need to balance this out.

You are right, the levels gets a bit messy at the end. keep them at the same level as 1:00 mark.

You can also introduce some orchestral drums (timpani etc) to make it sound more epic. slowly build to an aggressive orchestral end.

It's good arrangement. Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

During introduction, the melody (harp) stays on the left channel for too long with nothing on the right. I think either put it in center (it's the lead after all) or introduce something on the right to balance out the sound.

Hm, I guess the double basses alone are not enough. It's difficult to divert from the default panning because my samples are all prepanned, but I'll try.

I noticed a few timing issues here, some notes are straying away from the beats .... but maybe I feel too sleepy now.

I probably overdid it with the humanization. Fixed.

A lot of stuff plays on left speaker and it feels a bit ..... uncomfortable. I think you need to balance this out.

I think it's a problem that too many high and mid frequencies are on the left (mainly violins). I put the flute a bit more to the right and tried to separate first and second violins. For some reason the horns were panned to the far left per default (?!), I mirrored them to the right and reduced their spread a bit.

You are right, the levels gets a bit messy at the end. keep them at the same level as 1:00 mark.

It cleared up a lot after I panned the horns correctly. I probably should double the high flute (yes, it's actually there ^^;) to provide a highfreq counterbalance to the strings.

You can also introduce some orchestral drums (timpani etc) to make it sound more epic. slowly build to an aggressive orchestral end.

I'm trying, but I just can't find the right spot to introduce them as a new instrument.

DJMystix covered the issues here well. I can literally hear the left channel resonating in my ears, so there needs to be some right channel action to counter balance. This track needs some percussion of some sort. I won't tell you what to add, but even at the build up, there's a lack of intensity by the lack of rhythm or high end (AKA cymbals). Also, Double bass? There's no Kick drum at all, let alone double bass. Don't get me wrong, this track should not have a kick track, but maybe some good snare samples and some cymbal surges (I don't know the actual name for them) would help instead (So much for not telling you what to add lol) It's a decent orchestral track, and definitely great for a first "anything". BTW, get a Tindeck.com account so ppl can download your tracks for review. I can't give a good audio analysis unless I have the track. The EQ sounds alright, but chances are it's probably lacking some low and high end. On that note, just take the feedback as what it is, feedback. Most of these guys are here to help you (Nobody wants to see your mix fail).

Welcome to OCR

Thanks for the feedback again. I updated the first post with a new version.

Changelog:

* Panning changes:

- mirrored horns to the right

- adjusted violins and flute to the right

- tried and failed to center the harp; this is about as much as it can go without producing strange artifacts

* Added percussion: timpani and (sparingly) cymbal

* Removed harp offsyncness

* Added direct download link.

And btw, this is a double bass and I can assure you this song has plenty of it ;D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass