Help finding MIDI Controller

I'm having some trouble finding a MIDI keyboard that meets my specifications. I use a lot of digital sounds via VST, so what I'm looking for is not a workstation or digital piano, but rather, something that would allow me to play the piano samples I have through USB to my computer. The main reason I am buying this is to play and practice the piano, so it's ideal that the controller have the same characteristics of a piano. This means 88 full-sized, fully weighted keys. Other than that, it doesn't need MPCs or anything fancy. Just a plain MIDI controller. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for a controller that will fit my needs? I don't have a huge budget, but I can't imagine something so simple and feature-less being too incredibly expensive. Thanks for the help!

I have a Casio CDP-100 that I've been pretty satisfied with. The downsides are that the internal speakers are lousy and there are no true speaker outs, only a headphone out, but if you're going to primarily use it as a MIDI controller, that wouldn't be an issue at all. I really like the action on the keys. No pitch bend, mod wheel, or aftertouch, though.

It's also not USB. You'd have to use a MIDI interface, which you can get for around $30-$40.

I second what Snapple said about M-Audio. I have a Radium 49 -- the build quality is cheap, a few of the keys stick, and I had to disconnect the pitch wheel because it went out of alignment and was sending pitch bend signals in the zeroed position. Only go with M-Audio if you're on a really tight budget; you'll get what you pay for.

Well, again, I'm not looking for an audio interface, simply a MIDI controller. The CASIO CDP-100 looks like a great value, but it's a digital piano, which isn't really what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the help, but is there anything that fits what I'm looking for a little more closely?

This means 88 full-sized, fully weighted keys ... I can't imagine something so simple and feature-less being too incredibly expensive. Thanks for the help!

On the keyboards we've linked, the 88 weighted keys are the main reason why they cost $400+. You can get semi-weighted keys for less, but they won't feel quite like a piano. It's hard to find inexpensive dedicated controllers with fully-weighted keys -- since the weighted action is one of the most expensive elements of the keyboard, that's what gets cut out to reduce the price. I'd recommend not writing off digital pianos just because they aren't solely controllers. Any digital piano with MIDI connections can do as much as a basic controller, and with the lower-priced digital pianos, it's the number of keys and the action that are bringing the price up, not the internal sounds.

If you're okay with semi-weighted instead of fully-weighted and want to risk buying M-Audio, the Keystation 88es, which is solely a controller, is about $200. I've never used it, so I can't say if it's any good.

Thanks a lot for the responses!

There's nothing prohibiting me from buying a digital piano, except that I already have great samples I spent good money on for composing. I guess I wanted to capitalize on that purchase.

And, if it's the fully-weighted action that causing the steep prices and extra features, I guess I might as well just go with a Semi-Weighted. It's a pretty big improvement over my velocity sensitive "flat keys". The M-Audio Keystation 88es looks pretty good. When you're poor, you can't have all the nice things ;) This should probably do me well, or something very similar. Thanks again for all of the help. :)