Komplete 7

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/komplete-7/?page=1516

Seems like a pretty big 'Fuck you' to people who bought Komplete 6. Same price as the one that was released 6 months prior, but the upgrade is 250 bucks. On top of that its just a bunch of Kore soundpacks and one-off effects with only a half-step up in Reaktor for the core synths/samplers. It may be commonplace, but i still feel cheated...

Thoughts?

So far, the upgrade prices are the same for all of the previous versions, so sitting this one out is entirely possible.

I like how they're moving to more sample-based instruments for some things (I really like the sound of the Abbey Road drums and the Scarbee basses, and I already own the Scarbee Electric Pianos set), but what I don't understand is why they thought it was a good idea to can B4-II in favour of the Vintage Organs in Komplete 7. From listening to the Vintage Organs demos and remembering what B4-II sounds like, I don't think there's a huge improvement in quality but Vintage Organs uses a lot more RAM. I know which one I'll be sticking with.

I wonder how the fact that they're now including samples and presets as instruments in Komplete will hurt the sale of individual Kore and Kontakt instruments. I'd be much more hesitant to buy anything new, knowing that many of their new releases could just end up in the next version of Komplete at a discounted rate.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering buying a komplete pack with kore2 I believe. What do you guys think of the software instruments? I'm trying to write like rock, jazz, and orchestral stuff. I really like most of the sounds, except for the brass. But I didn't get to check out all the sounds. Would komplete be a good/decent starting point?

I have always felt that there's no point in upgrading to every new version of Komplete. You will always get more for your money if you wait, so just upgrade on even versions only (or odd versions only.) That's what I've been doing since Komplete 2 and it works great.

If you're trying to write in a variety of genres, you can't go wrong with Komplete. It really is as solid a collection as any, and far more comprehensive than any one library or plugin (plus, it's way more cost-efficient.)