OCR02075 - Trenches "This Ain't No Bloc Party! This Is World War!"

djpretzel

The orchestral elements and electronic elements fit together really nicely, especially in the intense parts, but damn that snare is distractingly mushy. :-(

The drum programming itself and the fills are nice, and the brass articulations are sick, so there is a lot of quality to hear, and the fact that this was completed on a pretty tight timeline is impressive as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Abadoss on scoring this game! Nice work!

There's a surprising amount of energy in this mix which combines nicely with that 'war' sort of urgency. I liked the blend of instruments. The trumpets are programmed pretty well. I was kind of hoping for a more bombastic sort of ending, but I can deal without it.

Overall, cool track, and again congrats, Abadoss!

• 3 months later...

Josh Whelchel remixing an OST by Abadoss? How can you lose? Loved the orchestral elements over the really strong bass, which transitions into some amazing drums. The mix reaches an absolute fever pitch towards the end, but I must say I felt like I was left hanging with the ending. I would've loved a more difinitive conclusion to a mix, especially since it got my blood pumping towards the end. Really enjoyed the mix overall :D

Josh Whelchel is a beast, that's all that needs to be said. I love how this builds up very deliberately over time, starting off with a very small set of instruments and adding more while still maintaining the feel that was set in the original for most of the song. The thin kit drums are a bit of an odd choice for the genre and, surprisingly, I feel like they work just as good as a typical orch kit would have, thanks to the constant presence of the bells and synths throughout the song. The more intense string parts offer a good counterpoint and keep this mix interesting throughout.

I always appreciate attempts like this to keep the orchestral genre fresh and interesting!

• 1 year later...

0:43 sounded a bit weird to me how the instruments melded together.

But more on the song itself, it is an amalgamation of styles held coherent by the orchestration. The samples probably could be better, and the ending leaves more to be desired, but the framework for the most part is solid. I think some tweaks could make this song a lot stronger though.

• 1 month later...

That intro is so damn cool, then going into something a bit odder, with the same determination continuing on over the course of the mix and continuing the build-up was great. The plucking bits where nice, and like others, I enjoyed the mix of electronic and orchestral here especially towards the end. But the end just left me wanting more. It was like it build up to something and then bam, nothing more. Don't tease me like that. Other than that, very good work.

• 5 months later...

I love this song! The electronic-orchestral style works super well here. The drums feel super rock to me, and that's just awesome : D

I like most of all how this song progresses. It starts of soft, then as it goes on, it gets more and more energy, while constantly changing things up. The climax at around 2:03 was super fun to listen to, and it really gets you pumped, although I felt the transition to the ending could have been better with the drums. Not a dealbreaker though, this is a good song and I recommend it.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02075 - Trenches "This Ain't No Bloc Party! This Is World War!"