OCR01245 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Begin the End of the Beginning"

djpretzel

Not a bad piece of techno, thing that i'm wondering the most about is why the name seems to be Smashing Pumpkins reference (who had a song titled "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning")? stylistically, this remix doesn't really make me think of either the pumpkins style, or of the style of their song with the same title. Not that it really matters, might have just been a coincidence, just found it odd. maybe i'm viewing the world too pumpkin-centrically.

Cool stuff, i probably would have liked a little more variety in the instrumentation than the synth, but that's just me.

Not a bad piece of techno, thing that i'm wondering the most about is why the name seems to be Smashing Pumpkins reference (who had a song titled "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning")? stylistically, this remix doesn't really make me think of either the pumpkins style, or of the style of their song with the same title. Not that it really matters, might have just been a coincidence, just found it odd. maybe i'm viewing the world too pumpkin-centrically.

Taken from an email to liontamer on the same subject:

Particularly, the name of the mix comes from the fact

that you are beginning the last part of the game,

which in fact became the first in a series--the Secret

of Mana. Thus, Beginning the End of the Beginning of

the series. *wink*

hope that helps. :)

Heh.. I thought about the Pumpkins song as well.

Great tune, I love the swirling-panning-flanging-statticy shit that flows in and out of the stereo field. I believe that this is a mix best enjoyed on a good pair of headphones.

Excellent drums and I love the bassline as well. Great music, this.

With this and Willed Assault, I am now coming to the realization that Seiken Densetsu had an excellent soundtrack. I kowtow to Mr. Ito.

This is not techno.

This is a hybrid between chemical breaks and big beat. Vastly different.

Okay, aside from the asinine dj-genreing talk (even if it would sound really out of place in a techno set..... ;) ) This is pretty cool though. Though at some points it has this muddy cycle going through with the toms and the mid-bass synths - it would have been better to have exagerated it a bit to help the breakbeats stand out it a bit more.

Gotta start with saying, "Great mix, I'll listen to it once a day." The constant transitions between the two songs really make it sound like a battle of good and evil.

But one thing bothers me. The first quote in the remix comments says that the main character and the final villian were once allies, but they weren't. Julius (the final villian) was an ally of Dark Lord since the beginning of the game, and Dark Lord keeps the main character as a slave to fight monsters for his own amusement.

Also, FFA had 3 battle themes, Fight 1, Fight 2, and the Final Battle. This remix is of Mission of Mana, and Fight 2. But since the final showdown is 3 consecutive battles each with different music, I can't complain.

The first quote in the remix comments says that the main character and the final villian were once allies, but they weren't. Julius (the final villian) was an ally of Dark Lord since the beginning of the game, and Dark Lord keeps the main character as a slave to fight monsters for his own amusement.

Also, FFA had 3 battle themes, Fight 1, Fight 2, and the Final Battle. This remix is of Mission of Mana, and Fight 2. But since the final showdown is 3 consecutive battles each with different music, I can't complain.

you know, you're right. it's just been so long since i'd played it, i couldn't remember exactly. i did at least think that julius did help the main char. at some point, though, right?

also, since this is fight 2 music, which plays during the 1st round of (well, technically 2nd) the last boss, you are beginning (IMO) the the end of the game at that point, thus the title was dubbed :)

also, how did you find out the titles of the music?

The first quote in the remix comments says that the main character and the final villian were once allies, but they weren't. Julius (the final villian) was an ally of Dark Lord since the beginning of the game, and Dark Lord keeps the main character as a slave to fight monsters for his own amusement.

you know, you're right. it's just been so long since i'd played it, i couldn't remember exactly. i did at least think that julius did help the main char. at some point, though, right?

also, since this is fight 2 music, which plays during the 1st round of (well, technically 2nd) the last boss, you are beginning (IMO) the the end of the game at that point, thus the title was dubbed :)

no, I dont think he ever did. he was just a gemma night that was in league with dark lord. what happened to dark lord? I know that you kill him in the remake (sword of mana), but I cant recall how he dies (if he does) in the original. bah, it doesn't matter. great remix, from one of the first games I ever played :D

I own the Seiken Densetsu Sound Collections album, complete with the original sound version and the concert version "Let Thoughts Ride on Knowledge". I also have the Sword of Mana Premiun Soundtrack, and the Sword of Mana piano book (which has japanese titles anyway).

In FFA, Fight 1 (Battle 1 ~Believe in Victory~ in Sword of Mana) is played during most boss fights and the first julius fight. Fight 2 (Battle 2 ~Courage and Pride From the Heart~) is played during the fight with Dark Lord midway through the game and the second battle with julius. Final Battle is played during the conclusive fight with Julius.

They're all good songs, almost too good for the gameboy (but hey, that's why we have OCR). And I'd rather hear Fight 2 remixed anyway.

ugh... so many fights/battles...

piano book, lol, that is truly awesome :D

back in the day i picked out most of the songs on piano and used to practice them quite frequently. they're all nuts to play--very fast and lots of movement going on, so it used to help me condition my fingers.

i'd love to hear a final battle mix. i don't know if i could do one that would give it proper justice, though. it'd be quite difficult with FL, methinks.

you know, i didn't even know they made a sword of mana remake until the other day. quite different than the original. it was actually kind of weird hearing the "new" soundtrack. cool stuff, though. i'd like to play it.

Pretty good; it seems kind of simple in an awkward way, even when it picks up fully.

I'm glad it was built up in the beginning and that the final beat wasn't slammed on us right away. Techno is always better when it's built up.

I liked the original song's melody, and this is no different. For some reason, I also really like the way it kind of distorts itself around 2:45...Minor, minor thing, but very neat. All in all, tight remix.

no, I dont think he ever did. he was just a gemma night that was in league with dark lord. what happened to dark lord? I know that you kill him in the remake (sword of mana), but I cant recall how he dies (if he does) in the original. bah, it doesn't matter. great remix, from one of the first games I ever played :D

Actually, Julius *did* help the hero at one point near the start of the game - he disguised himself as a guy and helped you fight your way through the Marsh Cave (he shot fireballs). He did this because he needed to find out if the girl who Kett kidnapped was the one carrying the Pendant of Mana.

He then proceeded to kidnap her himself after you both reach the town of Wendel.

on another note... maybe next summer (when i have time for music)... FFA remix project?? : D

yh

I'm all for it :)

By then, hopefully I'll have mastered a couple of the techniques my mix showes I could improve upon ;)

Seriously, though. This game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. And I'm not talking about Sword of Mana. I'm talking about the original FFA. It definitely should warrent a "project".

• 2 weeks later...
on another note... maybe next summer (when i have time for music)... FFA remix project?? : D

yh

I'm all for it :)

By then, hopefully I'll have mastered a couple of the techniques my mix showes I could improve upon ;)

Seriously, though. This game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. And I'm not talking about Sword of Mana. I'm talking about the original FFA. It definitely should warrent a "project".

Yes! I would donate $50 to OCR if it hosted an FFA remix project! I'd suggest staying true to the order of tracks in Let Thoughts Ride on Knowledge because it already has nice transitions, but you'd have to add in the missing songs like the second overworld music.

Oh and Transdecimal is right, Julius actually does help boy through the Marsh Cave, much like how Megatron helped the Maximals into his citadel so he could take command over Cybertron once again.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01245 - Final Fantasy Adventure "Begin the End of the Beginning"