Windows 7

DerangedWhale

I need to delete everything off my comp and my buddies told me that installing windows 7 will do that for me, but my only problem is that there's like 3 different versions of it and I'm not sure watt they do or if there even worth it. If someone could tell me watt each one does and which one is more worth it, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

I need to delete everything off my comp and my buddies told me that installing windows 7 will do that for me, but my only problem is that there's like 3 different versions of it and I'm not sure watt they do or if there even worth it. If someone could tell me watt each one does and which one is more worth it, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

That's all you need.

If all you want to do is wipe your drive, there is no need to purchase, pirate or download a demo copy of Win7. Any boot disk that allows you to format will work and if you want something a little more indepth, there are "lower" level format programs out there.

If you have a preexisting OS license you can buy Windows 7 pro 32/64 UPGRADE edition for 30 bucks. Upgrades also have option for custom install.

For some reason when my bro did this it placed everything in a windows.old folder even though he said custom install.

So all of your stuff is still there in that folder, but if you delete that folder it'll be as if your hard drive was brand new and you just installed a new OS.

I thought that was only for Vista though (this is hearsay obviously)

You can "upgrade" from any existing Windows OS (down to XP), but compatibility for an in-place upgrade (meaning it retains all files, folders, application data, regkeys, EVERYTHING) is very limited.

Here's the chart:

http://ttcshelbyville.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/7-upgrade-chart.jpg

If you have a preexisting OS license you can buy Windows 7 pro 32/64 UPGRADE edition for 30 bucks. Upgrades also have option for custom install.

For some reason when my bro did this it placed everything in a windows.old folder even though he said custom install.

So all of your stuff is still there in that folder, but if you delete that folder it'll be as if your hard drive was brand new and you just installed a new OS.

He didn't click the 'Format' button under more options when it shows your drives.. Otherwise it will do that.

actually, the upgrade discs will install a completely fresh install if you want to. back up your stuff, format your system drive when given the chance in the disc-only install (you've gotta boot into the disc), and then just install it.

totally legal, just like what apple did with their newest OS's upgrade discs.

Are you sure that's not with a student discount? Home Premium upgrade is $90 on Newegg and Amazon.

Oh crap my bad T_T

yes it's a student discount I forgot to mention so if you have a college student relative or friend, you should consider asking them to order it for you.

When my brother bought it, he had the option of an ISO or an EXE. EXE's are for in place, ISO's are for burning and then booting into disc like prophet said.

So you're saying you don't need to own Windows prior to using an upgrade disc? X_x

Um, not sure Brad's right on this one (or, more likely, he probably misread what you said). I can't see Microsoft being ok with selling upgrade versions to people who have no previous version of Windows. That version need not be installed, but that probably doesn't mean you still don't need an older version if you want an upgrade. I have an upgrade version of Win XP and while I can format and install fresh from that CD, it makes me put my Win98 CD in the drive so it can confirm that it's a legitimate upgrade (well, at least, that I have the Win98 media, which could probably be a burned copy).

Um, not sure Brad's right on this one (or, more likely, he probably misread what you said). I can't see Microsoft being ok with selling upgrade versions to people who have no previous version of Windows. That version need not be installed, but that probably doesn't mean you still don't need an older version if you want an upgrade. I have an upgrade version of Win XP and while I can format and install fresh from that CD, it makes me put my Win98 CD in the drive so it can confirm that it's a legitimate upgrade (well, at least, that I have the Win98 media, which could probably be a burned copy).

He's right, you don't need a previous version of windows installed or a disc for a previous version when installing from the Win7 upgrade disc, even though the license requires it. All you need to do is a custom install and format everything then upgrade that custom install. If you don't do the upgrade after the first install, it will bitch about not having a previous version to upgrade, it's what I did even though I have a full copy of WinXP.