Windows 7

DerangedWhale

Um, not sure Brad's right on this one (or, more likely, he probably misread what you said). I can't see Microsoft being ok with selling upgrade versions to people who have no previous version of Windows. That version need not be installed, but that probably doesn't mean you still don't need an older version if you want an upgrade. I have an upgrade version of Win XP and while I can format and install fresh from that CD, it makes me put my Win98 CD in the drive so it can confirm that it's a legitimate upgrade (well, at least, that I have the Win98 media, which could probably be a burned copy).

hah =) i've done it on three systems, which is why i know it works. a clean install on a system that's never had w7 works perfectly. in fact, any upgrade from xp requires you to do a clean install from boot, and any upgrade from vista to w7 where the versions are different (ie, home vs pro vs ultimate) requires a clean install from boot.

as i said before, it's just like the upgrade discs for the latest version of OSX, if i remember correctly. that was the joke about it.

• 3 weeks later...

ok i know ive been asking alot of questions about this but please bare with me. I don't have my xp CD anymore, I can't find it at all, am I going to need it to be able to install windows 7? Please let me know, I don't want to spend the money if its going to be pointless with out my xp disk.

Thank you.

ok i know ive been asking alot of questions about this but please bare with me. I don't have my xp CD anymore, I can't find it at all, am I going to need it to be able to install windows 7? Please let me know, I don't want to spend the money if its going to be pointless with out my xp disk.

Thank you.

You will need it to install Windows 7 Upgrade (which is cheaper). If you don't have it, you need to buy the full Windows 7.

EDIT: Unless XP is already on your computer, then you don't need your CD.

Thank you.

did you actually read anything in this thread? seriously, dude, i answered your question in the post immediately prior to your question. maybe if you stopped making stupid threads and read something for once...?

neblix, same to you. as i stated before,

you can do a full, original install on any system with windows-compatible hardware with a windows 7 upgrade disc. if you've already got stuff on the system, the installer will give you the option of formatting your drive with the old OS on it.

if you've got the SAME version of vista as you do w7, you can do the windows-based installer (like, vista pro to w7 pro). in ANY other circumstance, you MUST install w7 with the boot installer by booting to the disc. you MUST have backed up all of your files before doing this.

did you actually read anything in this thread? seriously, dude, i answered your question in the post immediately prior to your question. maybe if you stopped making stupid threads and read something for once...?

neblix, same to you. as i stated before,

you can do a full, original install on any system with windows-compatible hardware with a windows 7 upgrade disc. if you've already got stuff on the system, the installer will give you the option of formatting your drive with the old OS on it.

if you've got the SAME version of vista as you do w7, you can do the windows-based installer (like, vista pro to w7 pro). in ANY other circumstance, you MUST install w7 with the boot installer by booting to the disc. you MUST have backed up all of your files before doing this.

That doesn't make sense?

Why would Microsoft make that possible?

because they can't do an in-windows update from xp to w7 due to the complete difference in the architecture of them, and they can't do an upgrade from one version of windows to another (say, home to pro) without including all extra content initially and just locking it (making it easy to pirate).

My question is, why doesn't booting from CD ask for a license of a previous OS, whether it be a previous Windows 7, Vista, or XP (or back X_X )? There seems to be absolutely no point whatsoever in buying a full version of Windows 7, if what you say is true. (not saying it's not, but i had to end the sentence somehow)

1)Microsoft still gets the money 2)it's not like the average user would have a clue about such things as proven in this thread and 3)if nothing else it will push adoption rates. After giving it a little more thought, MS would proboly get more money since people who pirated WinXP/Vista in the past would be more likely to pay the upgrade fee to "cheat" the system.

So just to clarify all i need is the upgrade disk of windows 7 and it will completly reformat my comp and delete everything and give me a better operateing system.

No.

all you need is the upgrade disk of windows 98 and it will completly reformat your comp and delete everything and give you the Best operateing systemOf all time

windows98selogo.jpg

/Thread

*sigh* alright, here goes:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

There's the fullest documentation on how to install full clean Windows 7 from the upgrade version and have it work. I haven't tried it myself, but I did try a similar method once with Vista and it worked just fine. Use at your own risk but it apparently has an extremely high success rate.

Any version of Windows can do a "wipe" of your hard drive. It also depends on what kind of wipe you want. If you're going to be using the same hard drive again and just overwriting stuff, you can do a quick format. If you're installing Windows 7, while doing the Custom install, you'll be prompted with a list of hard drives your computer can detect (these sometimes include USB drives, so I recommend removing them before beginning the installation just-in-case you click the wrong drive if you have more than one). You can just click the drive and go "Delete", and then once it's blank, click "Format". Poof, fresh hard drive with no readable files on it.

The issue with this is IIRC that it only deletes the MFT, meaning that your files are there but the filesystem doesnt detect them (they are seen as blank). So whenever new files are written to the drive, it's literally writing over other things that have been on there. If you're reusing the drive yourself, this shouldn't be a concern. If this is a drive you're getting rid of, then you should be a little more concerned. I won't delve deeper into this subject unless your situation is the latter.

As for Windows version, unless you're running programs that have issues running native on 7 (there aren't that many from XP and Vista that have issues, but they exist) or hooking your computer into a business network'd domain, you can safely go with Windows 7 Home Premium.

And last, about your question regarding needing the original XP disc, if you're that worried about the Upgrade trick not working and not having something like that as a backup, then just buy the full version of 7 Home Premium (you can get OEM single copies pretty cheaply from Newegg). In the very unlikely event that you have issues with upgrading, I would also recommend downloading and burning the most current version of Ubuntu. You can boot "live" off of that disc (running the operating system from the disc instead of installing it) and still have limited typical computer functionality, pretty much just enough to hopefully get back online and ask questions if you encounter issues going at it.

Brad's right, though: you could have found pretty much all this minus the Ubuntu part out through a little bit of efficient google-ing, if not from reading this thread and then google-ing. There's nothing IT support people get annoyed at more than repeat questions :lol: best of luck!

And neblix: the license agreement is questionable about the upgrade trick, but I've yet to seen it sought out and get slammed. The idea for the upgrade discs is primarily aimed at Vista users, but XP is included since they also have a huge install base. Since XP to 7 upgrades are impossible based on architecture, the only was is the custom install. Also, validating a valid, non-pirated and authentic previous OS license from the boot disc would be impossible without and internet connection. Microsoft has, as of XP SP3/Vista SP2/7, allowed people to install FULL VERSIONS of the operating system WITHOUT ANY KEY WHATSOEVER. It is under the assumption that you are evaluating the OS and do not have immediate access to the key. An example would be someone who got the ISO from technet and didn't print the cd-key before installing. You have 30 days to put in a legit cd key for the version you installed and then activate it before the system locks you out. There are methods to extend this trial period to 120 days, but I don't recommend doing that because sooner or later it WILL lock you out.

Edit:

Retail Windows 7 Home Premium Upgade - $109.99 + s/h

OEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Full (one install, read license to see intended usage) - $99.99 + s/h

Retail Windows 7 Home Premium Full install (both 32-bit and 64-bit version, I believe) - $180.93 + s/h

yes, nabeel. that's what i did. if you go to a big state school, you can get it through their tech exchange program for 8$, and it'll work, too.

stevo, i guess the big bolded font up top wasn't clear enough. it's not a work-around. it really just works out-of-the-box, a clean install on a blank hard drive on a new computer with the upgrade disc.

it's worth noting that an OEM copy can't be reinstalled - the key only validates one computer. the upgrade version can be revalidated as much as possible, since you bought a full version of the OS.

stevo, i guess the big bolded font up top wasn't clear enough. it's not a work-around. it really just works out-of-the-box, a clean install on a blank hard drive on a new computer with the upgrade disc.

Do I ever read anything you say ever? Oh, yeah, I do. But then there comes the question: do I ever care?

"If it takes more than one shot, you weren't using a Jakobs!"

it's worth noting that an OEM copy can't be reinstalled - the key only validates one computer. the upgrade version can be revalidated as much as possible, since you bought a full version of the OS.

Oh yeah, I forgot this point. You can basically replace everything over-time though, I think. Not too sure since I haven't upgraded my compy's internals besides hard drives in about 2 years.

Not necessarily true, unfortunately, as I spent several hours tonight trying to get Win 7 to accept my product key. Finally got it working (fairly randomly), but installing clean from an upgrade disk does not always work. It says the key is invalid during setup and if you try to activate it manually, tells you that you can't activate it on upgrade version without prior windows install.

Anyway, several unsuccessful attempts to reinstall Win XP later (don't ask), just reinstalled Win 7 (format, clean install) worked.

i don't know what might cause that.

GEE I WONDER WHAT MICROSOFT COULD'VE SAID IN THE PAST THAT WOULD FORESHADOW THAT

Upgrade versions require that Windows XP or Windows Vista are installed on your computer before installing Windows 7.

Sounds to me like Nutritious just got unlucky and the upgrade software actually did what it was supposed to and prevent full installations without previous windows versions.

it's an upgrade. upgrades imply that you can trash your old computer and upgrade to a new one, in turn using an upgrade disc. or that you can upgrade your motherboard, which would break most OEM installations of windows (that were legally purchased by you), and then install w7 on the system. as long as you're not simultaneously using both the old and the new installations on separate computers, you are legally fine.

irregardless of what M$ is saying, it works fine. there are occasional hitches, in which case you just install something else and then format and install windows clean on top of it. not too complicated.