*NO* MapleStory 'Kearning Street Disco'

Palpable

• 2 weeks later...

This is an energetic mix that takes the original and pretty much expands on the feel. The style change isn't drastic, but there is a lot rhythm changes, soloing, and new touches that add some nice flavor. I like that the connection to the original throughout and at the same time a lot of original things going on. In terms of arrangement I think it runs a bit on the long side. I think you could have trimmed some of the excess here and had the same effect.

I think for the most part the production is pretty clear. The bass is clearly the center of attention for a lot of the mix, and the sound is used effectively. Similarly, you've got the piano and synth who do a lot of the melody playing and soloing, and then there is an almost super-fake trumpet sound added in. Despite being as fake as it is it works in this context. I would have liked a bit more variation in instruments/synths. Also, the drums are one of the weak points due to lack of variation. The hi-hat feels like it has just a bit too much presence to me, but that might be personal taste. Balance overall is pretty good, except the section at 2:34 has too many things trying to take the lead.

Overall the things I mentioned feel minor to me when compared to the overall product, but hopefully you will improve on these sorts of things in the future. I think the arrangement and style are pretty great, and it was a fun listen.

YES

the main riff synth is pretty good, but i am not feeling the bass, drum, or piano samples, and the balance is pretty off. The synth trumpet is also pretty weird. It sounds like the samples are all stacked on top of each other instead of occupying a space. Things are pretty clear sounding, but in a very general midi way.

One thing that really jumps out to me here is that the samples all sound like they are set to maximum velocity all the time. This really could use some humanization. This is very very noticeable in the piano ascending run.

The good news is that the arrangement is pretty good, and I like the original touches. This only needs better production and humanization to get my vote.

No, please resubmit

Yes, the track seems to drag on longer than necessary. There are some parts where it feels like there's nothing new happening, and it starts to lose my attention. Your arrangement is pretty strong otherwise - just condense it so that every moment feels fresh and exciting.

As for production, I think this is clearly below the bar. I know you could find some better samples, even free ones. The piano in particular sounds fake - and as OA stated, the whole song comes across as very mechanical because all the velocities are the same. Huminization: I'm echoing that 200%! Funk is all about feeling loose and cool 8-), so you haven't quite achieved that effect yet.

I'm also not sure I like the high-hat panned all the way to one side, and it's a bit too loud.

Anyhow, this mix has great potential! Just keep at it. If you need help finding better samples, you can always post on the Workshop forums here for tips. Have fun!

NO (resubmit)

This song sounds like it' supposed to be swinging, but it sounds really square. When doing something jazzy like this, you need to emphasize the upbeats; everything sounds really static in terms of velocity. Percussion is particularly bad in this regard: just some hats on 1 and 3 of the measure. That's not good.

Sample/synth quality is not so great either; really basic sounding stuff. You could use some better sounds. Arrangement meanders as well; there are some nice ideas and an interesting approach, but the energy level never changes, and I sort of lose interest about halfway through. Some variation is needed.

Not a bad start, but needs work.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Arrangement is not bad, there's a couple sections that play off the original pretty effectively. But the overall instrumentation is still pretty close to the original and it comes across as somewhat conservative. I also wish the drums had evolved more in this, breaking into a full beat w/snare at some time, instead of sticking to the same speed.

There's a few separate production problems that overall are really hurting this. The sequencing is very square and for a funky song, it's pretty strange to hear. The sample quality of the piano is not very good, and the song is cluttered by the lack of separation of these instruments.

There's some things you got right in this, but a lot you could improve. Maybe come back to this after working on your general production skills a bit.

NO