Jakerno

Jake Dragash

No Website

Submission Information

Pokemon Red

Into The Palace

Jun'ichi Masuda

Original Song: http://drp.ly/yf13m

Enjoyed Pokemon as a kid, looked through the Red & Blue OST Soundtrack, and came across a song I thought would be nice to remix into a kind of rock/energetic genre. Used Logic, a guitar, a a bass, and my brain.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icxKz-IF1IU

• 2 weeks later...

Always good to see some pokémon mixes. Right away I like where you're going with this, seems like a natural choice for the the theme. I'm a little disappointed with how conservative the mix is overall, though. Aside from the guitar and bass backing, the melody is staying pretty much verbatim. Similarly, I keep hearing the same riff over and over. I like that it switches between instruments, but it's still getting pretty repetitive. I'd like to see you expand your arrangement more into the source melody, and add some more original sections. 1:50 is a good start for original stuff, and it was a cool bridge. More please!

The balance is WAY off here. The backing guitar and the bass are ridiculously overpowering everything. I had a tough time focusing on the other stuff because of it. Overall the piano feels pretty mechanical as well, take some care to humanize it please. I like the subtle variation you have in the drums, nice work there.

I think this is a good start, but you really need to work on the arrangement and balance before this once can pass. NO

[9-24]-I'm hearing a good amount of changes and definitely some better production. The piano still feels a little mechanical, but it's improved, and there is some more variation going on. I think we're good to go. YES

I liked the shredding. The guitar's actually pretty good in this.

I agree that the balance is out. This is a mix with good arrangement suffering from poor production. Boost the drums a bit more, separate the guitar some more so it sounds more surrounding. Just tweak things until it all comes together more fluidly.

As said, the arrangement is fine to me. It comes close to being too conservative, but the guitar is creative enough for me.

I'll give it a YES on the proviso that those things are touched up.

Another agreement that the balance is way off here, but thankfully, with the exception of the mechanical piano, it's just a matter of adjusting the levels as far as production is concerned. The guitar and bass tones are good, and the drums sound fine, it just needs to be sitting better.

The arrangement is decent, but could use a little more expansion to make it an easier call. even a little piano solo section where there's a lisght break in the action would be cool.

Main issues here is the mixing, tune it up and send it back, i'm excited to hear the revisions. :-)

No, please resubmit.

Ditto OA. The mechanical piano is the only instrument that really bothers me. I don't think the production is that bad here, otherwise. I disagree with Deia about the bass being too loud - sounds good to me. The backing guitars could be mixed lower, though.

You did play it pretty safe with the arrangement, so I'm a bit on the fence, but I think it's passable. It's certainly enjoyable!

Conditional YES since I think the main fixes are pretty easy. But if this doesn't pass right away, I wouldn't be sorry to see you expand the arrangement some more. Good luck either way! ^_^

Piano is really mechanical and way too dry; really sticks out, especially when it's up against those guitars.

This is a fun arrangement; nice energy, good performance on the guitars, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. Nice change-up into the main Pokémon theme too, keeps things fresh.

YES

Let's take a look at that piano and also rebalance as per other joojes' suggestions.

--

Listened to the edited version. SOLID! LETS GO GO!

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to mention that this arrangement also uses this source in the middle, though I doubt that changes any votes:

This wasn't a very elaborate source and the consistency of the arrangement kind of reflects that, but I did like the melodic touches thrown in, and the dynamics between the heavier and lighter sections. I was cool with this arrangement-wise.

The rhythm guitars could have been pushed back and they're a little messy, covering the other instruments at times. Could have used some more EQ there. The piano was also mechanical and dry. Actually the whole song was a little dry, but the piano is the most noticeable. It's pretty much a toss-up whether to go NO or YES (conditional) on this, but some of that production needs to change. I'll e-mail Jake and see if he can send us a new version, rather than letting this continue to split when we mostly want the same fixes.

EDIT (9/23): New version is an improvement on both the production and arrangement. There's a little more variety in how the source is handled, and the mixing is better. The piano is less mechanical but it still comes off as stiff. The delay on it at least gives it some depth and incorporates it into the soundscape better. This is enough to push me to YES, good luck with the others' votes.

YES

• 2 weeks later...