Limbo

82ndave

I have just completed Limbo on Xbox Live Arcade. Its a great game, really addictive and has brilliant sounds. The music is really minimal, full of nice textures, evolving and bubbling away subtly underneath making you feel uneasy. It blends perfectly with the foley sounds and dark impressionist graphics. I would love to work on a score like that.

I read an interview with Martin Stig Andersen, who designed the sound and implemented it using Audiokinetic Wwise software which is something I want to learn. (has anyone used it?)

Here's the interview.

http://www.audiokinetic.com/download/documents/customer_profiles/Audiokinetic_Customer_Profile_Playdead_July2010.pdf

also, im new here so hi everyone :)

Yeah it is a little pricey, I would say it only takes 4 - 5 hours to complete, but the easter eggs keep it interesting for a while after that. Definitely one to turn the lights off and the sound up for. I hope they put out more levels for it.

• 1 month later...

Hello thread, have a trailer:

Keanu-Reeves-level whoa. That's one hell of a cinematic platformer.

It (not surprisingly) got overshadowed at E3, but it's on XBLA's summer of arcade and it's getting high praise, so it's hardly an unknown or a dark horse (though I thought a thread-bump was deserved). I know $15 is steep for a short game, but I'm eagerly awaiting to shell that out to get this; I learned my lesson with Ico that a short length does not preclude an amazing experience. Here's to hoping it makes it beyond the 360... I'd looooove to get a copy in physical medium such as, say, a box and CD for a PC version.

Anyway, if you take even a passing interest in indie games, particularly those with an emphasis on art, I highly recommend that you check out this one.

Hey dude! I played the demo and haven't been able to purchase the whole thing yet. $15 is pretty steep for an arcade game. I'll get it eventually though, because I really liked it. It made me jump out of my chair a couple times.

I did end up buying it and it was pretty short. Puzzles were tricky, needed a guide for a bunch of them. Ok, no, I didn't speed through it using a guide. Just when I really could't figure out what to do. x_x

Definitely an expensive game considering the length, but I think I'm still glad I got it. Pretty unique atmosphere and some fun puzzles.

I'll probably replay it for the achievements some time.

Considering shooter games now consist of 4-5 hour campaigns, no, Limbo is definitely not overpriced based on money/time ratio, especially for a great atmospheric game.