The Extra Credits thread!! EC is amazing!

big giant circles

Well since Sephfire is a resident remixer, I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't an official thread for his awesome new video series on the Escapist, so here it is. Keep up the great work, Dan!

*edit* Updated list, now with links to OCR's used in credit music!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits

An official congrats thread?

I saw the first vid on the Escapist and was like yay and then came the other and I was alike yay but then it got a bit stale and then wham it got interesting and I think it's great that you're on the Escapist and now there's two shows there that I like and follow and I think you're doing a great job with these vids you and your collaborators and I just wanna say keep it up and I'll be watching you and stuff like that so that's about it for my congratulatory post in the congratulatory thread for a vid series I liked before you became a big movie star.

...ish. :D

I watched the episode about MMOs. You think of EVERYTHING man!

I think it would be CRAZY if the quests involved going outside and doing something real.

I have a question. I hope it's not rude. I'd just like to know if doing internet videos pays enough to support you without having another job. Can I ask that? I hope so.

big congrats. 600 comments on the first one, seems like it's taking off well!

have to say that i never liked the pitched up voice, but if it makes the delivery easier for you, i can accept it. i realise that not everyone has a mesmerizing narrative voice, and it's better to keep the team small for this kind of personal format.

as far as the content goes, always been a fan. it's great edutainment, no unnecessary bells and whistles to distract.

i think the main thing that differentiates your series from almost everything else is the idealist notion that always shines through. that's a rare sight on the net, as riding on a wave of sarcasm/cynicism seems to be the easier way to go for most, ultimately. there's an art to that as well of course, and not many do it well.

it's funny though how i can't think of a single format similar to yours dealing with video games, and it's not like it's that esoteric at all. poking fun at the cliches and shortcomings of game development isn't anything new, but evaluating what led to these developments and providing commentary&ideas, all with the superior motive of helping with the progress of the medium, feels genuinely refreshing, even though it sounds like such an obvious thing to do.

i'm a bit worried about you doing one of these per week now. bi-weekly seems more doable considering the amount of thought that went into each episode so far. hope you don't burn out too fast!

May I extend another congratulations towards everyone involved with Extra Credits? Well, I am right now.

This is probably not the best place to ask, but could we see an episode devoted towards the issue of Digital Distribution? I sense that we will all be forced into using it exclusively in the near future, and I'd like to see what you have to say about that.

May I extend another congratulations towards everyone involved with Extra Credits? Well, I am right now.

This is probably not the best place to ask, but could we see an episode devoted towards the issue of Digital Distribution? I sense that we will all be forced into using it exclusively in the near future, and I'd like to see what you have to say about that.

Thanks! Yeah, I could see us doing that sort of topic. It seems like the kind of thing James would have some ideas for. Shoot us an email just to be sure James sees it.

extracreditz@gmail.com

Some good ideas in this week's ep, although I kinda raised an eyebrow when you explained the reason for keeping indie branches on a tight budget. I essentially heard, "Be sure to pay them peanuts, keeps 'em motivated." Which sounds slightly evil, but it does kinda makes sense on paper (a big bonus would be their "tip" for a job well done). In practice, though,

You didn't mention Eternal Darkness :(

That's really the only horror game I've ever played, but it was all about psychology. The graphics also hit that good balance of defined enough to recognize what we're looking at, but also vague enough to be confused and have to fill in the blanks ourselves.

You didn't mention Eternal Darkness :(

That's really the only horror game I've ever played, but it was all about psychology. The graphics also hit that good balance of defined enough to recognize what we're looking at, but also vague enough to be confused and have to fill in the blanks ourselves.

Unfortunately, Eternal Darkness' graphics hit a little closer to the "Too ugly to look at" mark for me. I've tried playing it on three separate occasions, but no luck. I feel shallow, but I can't help it: the animation in that game just hurts me to look at.

It's a bummer, given how much praise the game gets. It's a rare game that is so visually lackluster that I can't look past it, but oh well. :(