The Extra Credits thread!! EC is amazing!

big giant circles

Fantastic video, needed to be said. Again.

5:15 is really confusing...What the hell is the guy saying? Or trying to say?

I have no real idea, I'm sure it's to make fun of Gretchen Carlson (the "interviewer").

A few things, first off, Escapists commentators are being ridiculous, the issue of facing controversy IS important and needs to be addressed, maybe even more than twice!

Second, anytime that there is ever any negative remarks about anything involving soldiers or the war in Iraq, Fox News will go to great lengths to tar and feather, and "hang 'em high", especially if it questions patriotism. Of course, that's a no brainer for anyone who has a discerning eye.

Third, great video guys, please keep up the hard work. I may not like the gaming industry or it's tactics they've been trying to pull lately, but I definitely respect gamers who can LOGICALLY debate and agree or disagree on subjects.

Second, anytime that there is ever any negative remarks about anything involving soldiers or the war in Iraq, Fox News will go to great lengths to tar and feather, and "hang 'em high", especially if it questions patriotism. Of course, that's a no brainer for anyone who has a discerning eye.

FOX "news" is the bane of our society. Majorly conservative, bias "news" catering to the gullible and uneducated. Just look at the way Gretchen asked the questions. She wasn't just interviewing objectively, her tone and word choice gave off a disgusted attitude towards the subject at hand. I've seen it many times where they don't even give enough time for a person to defend themselves. They are trained that way so they can censor their own news from anything they don't want the public to hear.

We must starve FOX "news" of the attention and ratings they crave to get rid of them, since like a parasite, we can't kill them, unfortunately.

FOX "news" is the bane of our society. Majorly conservative, bias "news" catering to the gullible and uneducated. Just look at the way Gretchen asked the questions. She wasn't just interviewing objectively, her tone and word choice gave off a disgusted attitude towards the subject at hand. I've seen it many times where they don't even give enough time for a person to defend themselves. They are trained that way so they can censor their own news from anything they don't want the public to hear.

We must starve FOX "news" of the attention and ratings they crave to get rid of them, since like a parasite, we can't kill them, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to defend fox, really. It's impossible to deny they have a strong conservitive bias, and they've done some truly wacky things in the past, but it feels like our media is very liberal. Sometimes I turn on fox just to see "the other side" if you will, regardless of the fairness of that representation.

Back on topic, anyone know of any other stories of a controversial game where the developers stuck to their guns and "won", for lack of a better word?

I'm not trying to defend fox, really. It's impossible to deny they have a strong conservitive bias, and they've done some truly wacky things in the past, but it feels like our media is very liberal. Sometimes I turn on fox just to see "the other side" if you will, regardless of the fairness of that representation.

Back on topic, anyone know of any other stories of a controversial game where the developers stuck to their guns and "won", for lack of a better word?

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles" - Sun Tzu

Right there with ya.

Speaking of sticking up for video games, we just got a pretty excellent heads up!

Watching the most recent episode of "The Daily Show" tonight and John Hodgman had a section on maintaining the rights of video games on his "You're Welcome" segment and keeping them out of the hands of minors. He talked about how people (which we are already aware of) are trying to get the government to step in and ban the sale of video games to minors. He defended them, saying they are the next generations level of art and deserve their first amendment rights as such! As Sephfire talked about before, with the government stepping in, it would be disastrous for the medium.

One more step for legitimization. Schwing.

• 2 weeks later...

Future game designers rally up!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2443-So-You-Want-to-be-a-Game-Designer

What's amazing to me is that most of the points you all mentioned to become a game designer are good things to experience in life in general. Creating experiences indeed.

And by the way, here's that clip from the Daily Show on violent video games and maintaining their rights as an artistic medium. Oh yeah, it's also hilarious.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-november-4-2010/you-re-welcome---violent-video-games

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2454-Easy-Games

A lot of my friends and family always made fun of me when I read the manual or participated in a tutorial with enthusiasm. I knew, that it would give me (personally) a greater sense of depth and mechanics in that I could more fully enjoy the game. Sure, I've just went balls to the wall and dived right in before, but I almost always found something in the manual or tutorials that made me go "Oh! You can do/use that!". Of course, there was always the following ass whoopin' that I laid down :wink: