Sonic 3 - Hydrocity Zone

WillRock

as everyone else has said, this is a pretty slick remix and it's a lot of fun. the sound choices are mostly great, but i actually think the guitar solo sounds a little out of place (i know i'm alone on this one but i figured i might as well mention it). no disrespect intended at all, but the playing during the shredding is just a little sloppy and i think the tone could use a little more balls - it sounds like it's got a lot of treble and distortion but not much else to balance it (although it is a little quiet in the mix, so i could be off). a lot of that is personal preference, though, so it's up to you. either way, it's a great remix.

edit: admittedly, i'm a big metalhead and a guitar nerd so my perception of playing that is "a little sloppy" is probably very different from most people's (aka no one will give a shit).

since I technically started all this "being made fun of" business let me clarify that it was because your critiques were all tremendously vague

They weren't meant for you in the first place.

EDIT: And I wasn't suggesting that I was offended, I was suggesting that you're just flooding the thread with unnecessary comments.

Well, I guess the thread has been derailed a bit, but let's see what you got. First off, here's a wav with a few parts of the song. There are moments I felt that the leads are not very pleasing to ears. Are these unsuccessful attempts at vibrato? Might want to fix that.

Your organ sequencing at 1:54 is nice, those can be brought out more. Right now the leads are too dominant for a piece about 4 minutes long. The mix is dying for more organ or wah-wah parts to keep things interesting and varied. I know you like programming leads, but don't be afraid of giving other instruments their turn to shine.

Well, I guess the thread has been derailed a bit, but let's see what you got. First off, here's a wav with a few parts of the song. There are moments I felt that the leads are not very pleasing to ears. Are these unsuccessful attempts at vibrato? Might want to fix that.

Sounds like you are talking about the FM modulation on my lead, that was intentional.

Try implementing FM gradually on longer notes instead of adding a default value of FM in short and wide notes. I think you can also add some vibrato while using FM to give it a large and powerful sound.

Quick example of what I'm talking about

Slight problem with that... looking at the sound, its got ring modulation on it, I can't remove the sound distortion modulation when I do vibrato without significantly altering the sound of the synth generally, basically it loses all its character and turns into a more pure chip lead which wasn't what I was going for... personally i'm ok with it as it is but i'll mess around and see if I can get the best of both worlds.