OCR02078 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Us Monkeys Together"

djpretzel

This is a great song and worthy addition to the OCR catalogue. :-P A lot of people were hating on the vocals in the project thread, but I find both the performance and the overall execution to be spot on. The Mandarin lyrics are interesting; I have no idea what is being said, but I like the tonal qualities of the language. I agree that it adds uniqueness to the song. The instrumental portion is also well done and adequately layered without forcing too many elements into your face like is popular with some modern music. I wouldn't say the song is simple, but it sounds very comfortably made and as a result, is a pleasant experience. Yatta yatta.

Post your opinion

This tripped me right up! I had a bunch of songs in my playlist including some chinese ones, then I popped this one in and when it started I thought I clicked the wrong song! I didn't expect someone would ever do a chinese language song on ocr~ very much appreciated you guys, I'm diggin' it.

I loved this song so much when the DKC2 project came out. Fun, bubbly, refreshing. The equivalent of a cold fizzy drink on a hot summers day. Can't sit through this and not have a little smile on my face.

My only gripe is the percussion. From the stretch between 2:35 to 3:05 or so, the percussion is really exposed and it's kind of jarring. The percussion just sort of overpowers everything else in that section, I wish it had sounded a bit less cluttered, but oh well! I do love the changeup after that, and didn't really mind when it for the rest of the mix, so it might just have been an issue with the levels in it. The track isn't really any worse for it, and is still awesome.

In other business, I do love how this mix exemplifies how great and varied vocal mixes can be. Hell, every vocal track on the project is great, but c'mon OCR! When are you gonna post backwards room to finish the set off?

Very cool. I love when someone tries to add lyrics to these songs because they're like blank slates that you can add to. Being able to do a vocal track and pulling it off is great. Pulling it off, in another language than English much less, is extremely impressive. These ReMixers definitely pulled this track off amazingly. The music has a great pop beat and the singing was beautiful. One of the highlights of the DKC 2 album for sure.

Edited by Crulex

Personally, i've come to enjoy foreign languages in songs, esp. Asian. It adds so much flavor to a song that it brings more out of it than w/o.

This specific piece is very well executed and I definitely enjoy listening to it. You have one great voice and for someone who'll never even understand Chinese(mandarin), I wanted to encourage you about using vocals in other languages. I think that's what makes OCR so unique, the ability of artists to step outside of their comfort zone and make something truly special.

Great job!

• 3 months later...

True story, I was at a friend's dorm listening to this song on speakers while me and said friend ran through Donkey Kong Country 3, and out of nowhere, his Mandarin-speaking roommate popped out and practically shouted "WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO AND WHY CAN I UNDERSTAND IT?" We then proceeded to have him translate the song for us :lol: I guess that's a good reaction though? :-D

Great remix though, I definitely feel like Amy upped her singing game on this one. Still room for improvement but it definitely feels like a solid effort that works in context. Such a cheery take on what I always felt was a more thoughtful, slow-paced original. Not what I was expecting or even hoping for for this source, but I like what I hear.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02078 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Us Monkeys Together"