Xenoblade is starting to sound more and more epic

SNES would like to have a word with you.

the SNES has three Final Fantasies, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger

everything else is shit

He's backed up by his supporters GBA and DS.

the GBA has two Golden Suns that are technically the same game, Mother 3 and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

the DS has Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, Dragon Quest IX, Pokemon Black/White, Radiant Historia and Golden Sun 3

keep in mind, here, that I said good jrpgs, which on their own are few and far between

They said the same for Mother 3.

Mother 3's localization would have required an unfathomable amount of legal action to make sure that all of the copyrighted things in the game didn't end up costing Nintendo millions of dollars in legal damages

from a business perspective it really just wasn't worth the effort or money

And Fatal Frame IV.

this game didn't even sell very well in Japan, of course they aren't going to waste time localizing it for a market that it'll probably do even less well in

In Nintendo terms, they're really saying 'no plans to ever localize'.

you mean like when they said they had no plans to bring over the black Wii systems

or the Classic Controller Pro

basically the thing here is that;

a) there are 'no plans' until they decide to have plans, so bitching and whining about this is a waste of time because they haven't really directly confirmed anything either way

B) Nintendo is one of many companies that is starting to realize that, despite what you may believe, North America is not really the most profitable market for jRPGs (because they tend to be pretty shitty by North American standards)

the thing about jRPGs is that as a rule they are uh not really that good; every really good jRPG that someone can think of is strong because of things that have nothing to do with it being an RPG

mind-blowing spoilers: [aside from the music, mario rpg isn't very good]

I'm not trying to debate the game's merits, but I'm just curious: you really don't think so? I know the music is awesome any way you look at it, and maybe I can't take off my nostalgia goggles, but I really liked it. In the interest of full disclosure, it was the first RPG I played through to completion that didn't have the word "Pokemon" in the title, so it holds a special place in my heart. It was also the game that really got me into RPGs in the first place.

Oh, and you forgot Mario & Luigi 3 when you listed good DS RPGs on the last page :) (I know, I know. Your response is "No I didn't.")

On the topic of Xenoblade, isn't there some E3-like event coming up in August that Nintendo regularly attends? Stupidity/optimism suggests to me that they realistically have through that event to announce a North American release of the game if they're going to put it out here at all.

If they decide against it, I can understand from a business perspective, but it still is somewhat of a middle finger to the fans. I've blindly bought every Nintendo console and handheld except for Virtual Boy all my life. After the giant slaps in the face of the 3DS "launch window," Nintendo's refusal to localize 3 major RPGs, and the fact that the Wii won't likely have a good game in 2011's entirety except for Zelda and maybe Kirby, I'm really considering waiting on a Wii U and sticking with my PS3 for a while instead. If the company really doesn't give a shit about its older (or otherwise non-blue ocean) fans, I don't see much of a reason to give a shit about that company. Years ago I never would have predicted myself saying this, but I really wish Nintendo would just get out of the console business and start putting its games on PS3 and Xbox. Their biggest highlights are their games, and it'd be great if they could put more emphasis on those and less on ridiculous "innovative" control schemes. Video games are about the games, and denying fans the games without at least the courtesy of an adequate explanation is honestly sort of rude.

I'm not trying to debate the game's merits, but I'm just curious: you really don't think so? I know the music is awesome any way you look at it, and maybe I can't take off my nostalgia goggles, but I really liked it. In the interest of full disclosure, it was the first RPG I played through to completion that didn't have the word "Pokemon" in the title, so it holds a special place in my heart. It was also the game that really got me into RPGs in the first place.

Oh, and you forgot Mario & Luigi 3 when you listed good DS RPGs on the last page :) (I know, I know. Your response is "No I didn't.")

On the topic of Xenoblade, isn't there some E3-like event coming up in August that Nintendo regularly attends? Stupidity/optimism suggests to me that they realistically have through that event to announce a North American release of the game if they're going to put it out here at all.

If they decide against it, I can understand from a business perspective, but it still is somewhat of a middle finger to the fans. I've blindly bought every Nintendo console and handheld except for Virtual Boy all my life. After the giant slaps in the face of the 3DS "launch window," Nintendo's refusal to localize 3 major RPGs, and the fact that the Wii won't likely have a good game in 2011's entirety except for Zelda and maybe Kirby, I'm really considering waiting on a Wii U and sticking with my PS3 for a while instead. If the company really doesn't give a shit about its older (or otherwise non-blue ocean) fans, I don't see much of a reason to give a shit about that company. Years ago I never would have predicted myself saying this, but I really wish Nintendo would just get out of the console business and start putting its games on PS3 and Xbox. Their biggest highlights are their games, and it'd be great if they could put more emphasis on those and less on ridiculous "innovative" control schemes. Video games are about the games, and denying fans the games without at least the courtesy of an adequate explanation is honestly sort of rude.

As long as Nintendo can break serious bank(and this generation has proven that's definitely the case), then they're going to stay in the console business. The problem as I see it is that they got complacent with the profits that the Wii and their "Blue Ocean" strategy made for them, and aren't as inclined to take "huge" risks anymore unless they can be generally sure they'll break numbers that are probably unrealistic for certain properties(like JRPGs) no matter how you look at it.

They're a lot like Activision in that regard.

If they released these 3 games, and promoted them properly, I definitely think that they would move a lot of copies. Xenoblade is one of the reasons I got a Wii (again) to begin with, just like how when the PS3 launched a bunch of people bought Ps3s just for the idea that there could potentially be a ff7 remake. Oh and that ff7 tech demo.. :-)

The Last Story too, that was a selling point for me...

I will hold out hope that they are localized

the SNES has three Final Fantasies, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger

everything else is shit

Lufia 1&2, Illusion of Gaia, Earthbound, Seiken Densetsu 2&3, Breath of Fire 1&2, Tales of Phantasia, Romancing Saga 3, Terranigma, and of course the unsung masterpiece of the system, Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

Lufia 1&2, Illusion of Gaia, Earthbound, Seiken Densetsu 2&3, Breath of Fire 1&2, Tales of Phantasia, Romancing Saga 3, Terranigma, and of course the unsung masterpiece of the system, Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

yeah I've played all of those

and there's a reason why I only mentioned Earthbound as one worth playing