Ice Cap Crater

EDIT 2 (FOR TRANSITIONS)DELETED FIRST ONE!

http://soundcloud.com/aires/ice-cap-crater-v2

LolOlolololOlolOl (Warning MILDLY PROGRESSIVLY HOUSE'Y) some loud parts, still gunna adjust some vol IF need.

and NO this is not a revised version of Friged Ice Cap, this is straight house with straight up synths and drums.

made this in ableton and fl studio

i think there's some really cool ideas in here, but structurally i can't really follow it too well. it feels like the beat never really drops as hard as it should - i felt like i was always waiting for the big release with the sidechained kick, the splashy white noise and the full synth arrangement coming in, but it didn't really happen. i guess that's a personal choice, but to me it sounds like it wanders a little too much. there's a lot of different ideas in here for a house song that's only 4 minutes long. i think if you focused on just a couple of them and really got the build/release thing going this could be really cool. some of the synths you've got going sound great, and i'd really like to hear them in a fuller arrangement. but maybe i'm missing the point and you weren't going for a traditional progressive house thing.

i think there's some really cool ideas in here, but structurally i can't really follow it too well. it feels like the beat never really drops as hard as it should - i felt like i was always waiting for the big release with the sidechained kick, the splashy white noise and the full synth arrangement coming in, but it didn't really happen. i guess that's a personal choice, but to me it sounds like it wanders a little too much. there's a lot of different ideas in here for a house song that's only 4 minutes long. i think if you focused on just a couple of them and really got the build/release thing going this could be really cool. some of the synths you've got going sound great, and i'd really like to hear them in a fuller arrangement. but maybe i'm missing the point and you weren't going for a traditional progressive house thing.

This is an the oc version what i would call the original, i'v been thinking of making it 8-10 min long to, but i made the song as you said in to a sorta fusion of prog house and electro and to be honest, the beat was not buildy at all and the melodys would expire due to a 2min and get tired long intro and pc limitations, and the fact i did not take this to seriouse but to try and make synth sounds lol. or was prob because i wanted the remix to come out fast that I made bars short, not to mention ableton and fl can be a huge *** in cpu stuff, but hay I tried, but next song i make will deff not be built like this. :-D

Intro: Good start, cool vocal effect, but the pad does not compliment it, imo, which makes the intro stretch

0:40-1:15: Fell asleep.

1:15-1:43: The kicks need to be stronger, but I like the snare at 1:22.

1:43: Awkward transition.

1:53-2:54: Kinda digging this part

2:54: Again no transition

3:04-3:16: Cool stuff but I don't see how this fits in with the rest of the song.

Gonna stop here. Here's the big picture: As mentioned before lots of original stuff, lots of ideas, but no structure at all to the song. Repetition is good--nay--key. Successful art from all mediums, notably music and poetry, acknowledge this. Imagine a novel or movie in which you have several characters: different characters appear at different times, but they all generally re-occur throughout and together, form a bigger picture as a whole.

Here's what I suggest: take what you've learned from this and arrange your future stuff with bits and pieces of things you've experimented with here. Work on structuring the song so that it tells a coehesive story. Intro, Act 1, breakdown/chorus, Act 2 (breakdown/chorus, Act 3), conclusion.

Intro: Good start, cool vocal effect, but the pad does not compliment it, imo, which makes the intro stretch

0:40-1:15: Fell asleep.

1:15-1:43: The kicks need to be stronger, but I like the snare at 1:22.

1:43: Awkward transition.

1:53-2:54: Kinda digging this part

2:54: Again no transition

3:04-3:16: Cool stuff but I don't see how this fits in with the rest of the song.

Gonna stop here. Here's the big picture: As mentioned before lots of original stuff, lots of ideas, but no structure at all to the song. Repetition is good--nay--key. Successful art from all mediums, notably music and poetry, acknowledge this. Imagine a novel or movie in which you have several characters: different characters appear at different times, but they all generally re-occur throughout and together, form a bigger picture as a whole.

Here's what I suggest: take what you've learned from this and arrange your future stuff with bits and pieces of things you've experimented with here. Work on structuring the song so that it tells a coehesive story. Intro, Act 1, breakdown/chorus, Act 2 (breakdown/chorus, Act 3), conclusion.

thankyou for the feed back!

yah was indeed aiming at awkward transitions for an un-normal prog house vibe but i did not execute it so good due to pc restrains and im with out a midi interface for a while so my moog is out the picture,but i will fix that transition at 2:54 and the kick vol, I dont know why the keys came in so late or why the plucks stoped, they sounded good on my daw. hmm next house song i make will be more buildy and more dance oriented, but im lovin this song tho lololol, maynot be traditional house but its sounds great.

it has potential. I like how the beginning started off, and just expected it to go a whole different direction than it did.

I think you should try and stick with one style, it seems like it just randomly jumps around too much, and doesnt focus on one setting. keep expecting it to break out, when it just shifts to something else.

its like if you were listening to the radio, and every station was playing the same song at the same time, but in different genres and just kept flipping back and forth, I couldnt really follow it.

Just keep working at it, it does have potential.

I didn't get to hear the original, but I have a feeling your first edit wasn't too drastic. I think the intro was absolutely sick. The piano and vocals made me think that the track was really gonna take me for a ride. Unfortunately, I felt as if the track started to lose momentum quickly, with the drawn out second intro and half measure drums. The snare sounds more like a weak clap and could use some serious body. When the track picked up again at 1:50, I was certain it was gonna get intense, but everything seemed like it was building me up to something that wasn't coming. The transitions are as mentioned by the other reviews- awkward. Most of the patches I heard seemed acceptable except for one very over-bearing synth at 3:08. I suspect the whole track is very low-endy as well, and could probably use a decent cut. The panning effects were hit or miss. Some were very tasteful, specifically those used in the percussion. However, others made me feel borderline dizzy and were very distracting from the track. Specifically, a few active panning synths. I hear some good ideas here, but it all needs to come together to really grab the listener and keep him there. The ending was a little strange, but I'm guessing it's a temp until you finish the track. Hopefully this helps, and I don't want you to think I'm bashing (I simply wouldn't post anything if the track had no potential). Good luck with your revisions :smile:

Really quickly:

The intro is nice, but it's kinda like a really nice highway with the bridge out at the end. Long straight road, not a cop around. Then you have to stop. It builds to a quiet when I want something to blow me away there.

The sounds you have are neat, but the song feels thin in places, 1 or 2 instruments, tops. could use some more filler, pads or some such.

This track has 3 or so ideas used about equally, and is far from the source, to me, it lacks coherence. It needs an overlying theme to bring all the ideas together. I'd try not to add any length if I could help it.

It may just be me but the actual ice cap theme used here is much slower than everything else going on. Some original work to make it not so slow might help. I mean, heavy house sounds doing triplets and 16ths, then the snow cap is what dotted quarters and half/whole notes? Seems could use some blending help.

Kinda in a hurry, so cutting this short. Good luck.

I still think this song has potential. its just.. Is it just me or do I rarely hear the main tune. I heard it a little at the end but very quietly, I always expected it to just really start going with the main tune, just letting it fly, but to me it sounded like the whole song was a progression to something that never came... shorten the intro I think, piano is nice, but dont do it again with the synth and piano, either try to work the synth into the first part.

To me it seemed like you had most of it on repeat. and changed some instruments around a bit, to give it a different feel here and there.

IMO

I guess the track is love and hate looking at the reviews, some loved the synths, some not so much, some like some parts, some not found, well bepends on taste in music, and very mixed reviews. but agreed intrument vol was week at some points, paning like i said depends on audience taste. it got good/nice reviews on a ''house'' based website, moderated reviews here etc........ again just taste in diffirent audience.

as my note as the composer, i tried to make house 13 bpm's slower, so obvcouse it would sound ''very slow'' in the progression aspect in progression house/electro or whatever the heck it was, thats one of the reasons i cut this short it cause it would be boring , if this was a trance theme it would sound good whic i note you guys like here on oc remix judging on remixes and post, even in this thread.

the main problem i had is the synths i used were to house heavy, as in a bit to strong for a slower song like this making it sound busy, i will have to rebuild the entire song to make it work and since i have ableton working again i can do just that with better mixing(CANT STAND FL MIXING >:( ), but it will be straight progression house and some of you guys here on oc prob would not like it cause it will sound repetitive or i repeated an entire section (example deadmau5, wolf gang gartner) which is usually how some house songs are.

i will make another ice cap remix, but in normal house speed, and electro with a glitchy aspect.

so guys this(these) versions of ice cap crater is now closed, until i make the fresh one later finishing by next week or soon :)