OCR02079 - Final Fantasy VI "Lost Forever"

djpretzel

It's got a little bit of old and a little bit of new, I'm actually not familiar with the source though I'll have to go and listen to it sometime. That drum loop wasn't outplayed like I thought it was gonna be but you mixed it up and dropped it out of the mix enough where it didn't come back to bite you in the butt. With breakbeat music being my favorite type of music, this is definitely a like for me. Good stuff.

First off, this mix is great. I don't see anything wrong with the drum loop; if anything, it brings attention to the melodic content, which I find fabulous. Though, I'm not sure if I agree with all the NOs from the judges, as I think this piece is quite stronger than most other first subs I've heard. In short, nice work!

This is great! But then, "Searching For Friends" is my favorite game track ever, and it's been years since it got any coverage here, so I'm biased. :)

Seriously though, I absolutely love it. I always like arrangements that play things a little more straight, so this is right up my alley. The drum loop, which seems to be the most contentious part, was just fine in my book.

Edited by I_am_Torgo

Definitely a big fan of this one, this is probably the first remix of this source that I feel really hit it the way I personally was hoping someone would. The synth is what makes it for me, I love the higher-pitched part, which is also one of the nicer deviations from the source in this mix which doesn't stray too far for the most part.

Maybe the only part I might have wanted to hear something different was the outro, fading works, but i guess I might have liked to see the synth go even a little more nuts and end in some sort of more deviated way, but this is hardly a complaint, I dig what we've got here, period.

Great debut mix, and I hope we hear more soon!

I read the text before I listen, so I was a bit worried about those drums, but they most certainly work; It didn't seem repetitive at all.

I, unfortunately, am not completely familiar with the source, so I can't say anything about how well the add-ins worked. However, I still think this is worth a download, and becoming part of my ever-growing OCR library.

... I am a bit biased. I love FF. I love piano... Its a great mix! And I don't mean the FF/piano combo.

Great job, and I'm hoping to see some more from you!

Oh man, I totally remember this from the wip forum. I loved it then, and I love it now, but I definitely remember it being more loud and booming at certain parts (Namely the intro when the piano comes in). If that means anything.

Either way it's still awesome, and if my opinion means anything to anyone (Which I doubt it does :<), go download it now. It's nothing fancy, but at the same time it's sexy musical goodness.

The drums in this were no where near as repetitive as the drums found in the source. Oh the agony of listening to that track on endless repeat. I loved it and all, but trying to find the sky esper (x something?) and hearing that drum loop was madness.

I agree the mix could have been fleshed out some more though, it does feel a bit underdeveloped but then again, that's fine in some cases. There's a strong enough idea here to carry the mix forward, and while more could have been done it didn't really have to be done. Take that as you will.

Note: I couldn't review this to the best of my ability because of crappy speakers. I'll edit it once I get a full listen.

This is actually very soothing with a very reflective feel to it. The first person that comes to mind when listening to this is DJ Shadow. The drums have got an Organ Donor kind of feel. The synthetic work reminds me of Protricity's stuff mixed with old skool Shael Riley drumwork. A little more variety would be nice on the drum loop, but the groove is held very well. As for repetition, the source after the second repeat could have been replaced with something else, but I'm very happy you played around with the harmonies on the piano and whiney synths.

The fade in and fade out only adds to future ideas for usage for this track. I had it on repeat and when the track replayed from the beginning again, I discovered that if Final Fantasy 6 was made into a movie, this track would be great for a teaser trailer or for the title menu music of the DVD.

Bottom line: If you love grimey Golden Age drums with a soulful fun recognizable arrangement of the original, this one should be a keeper on the hard drive. Who knows? With DJ Bjra and Nobou's permission, you can use the track on your next video project.

8/10

I hear people saying simple, but effective... I hear gorgeous and nuanced. The section that comes in at 56/57 seconds is absolutely my thing and I'm all about that section. Truly a thing of beauty, I'm absolutely taken by this remix. There's many melodic layers here that are understated, but make it very interesting to listen to. I love it. Definitely in my top 3 for the year. Stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

As was mentioned in the write up, this has an old school OCR sound. I love that. I really enjoyed this and I hope we don't come to a point where simple yet fun and soothing stuff like this is rejected just because it isn't as complex as a lot of the new arrangements that come out.

Great job. I'll be listening to it more.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with Vigilante's opinion in the judging forum. The riffage and instrumentation is great, smooth and evocative. Unfortunately, the monotonous drum loop gets on my nerves. Just a little more variation could've brought this mix way up.

Anyway, expecting even better mixes from this guy in the future. Keep at it, man.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02079 - Final Fantasy VI "Lost Forever"