OCR Fasting! - THIS SATURDAY!

DarkeSword

Hey guys. The Islamic month of Ramadan starts this Wednesday, which means Muslims all over the world will be fasting from food, drink, smoking, and sex during daylight hours. A couple folks were talking IRC and I suggested that people try out fasting with me and other OCR Muslims, so we're shooting for Saturday to have our big OCRamadan Fast.

The way it works:

• Get up before it starts to get light out. Eat some breakfast! Something that'll sit in your stomach. Also drink fluids!
  • Go to back to bed.
  • When you wake up, go about your normal business. Remember, you can't eat, drink (not even water!), smoke, or have sex until the sun goes down.
  • Also remember, you're fasting from bad behavior and negative feelings as well. Try maintain a sense of calm throughout the day, and avoid conflict when you can!
  • As sundown approaches, check your local weather listing to find out when the sun sets exactly.
  • Prepare some food to eat once the sun goes down. Breaking your fast with water is preferable!
  • Remember don't gorge yourself! Your stomach's been empty all day. Just enjoy your meal. Savor it!

There are some health benefits to fasting, which are greater if you do it more than just one day. A lot of folks don't think they can do it, but it's mostly a matter of willpower. I've had some friends who fasted with me in college and they were surprised at how they were able to make it through the day. Also for non-Muslims it's not a religious thing; it's more just something to try to see if you can do it.

Post here if you're participating!

though it's i guess preferred to eat until you can start to see the light in the sky, i've always been ok (i.e., not dying by sunset) eating around midnight.. though since this year Ramadan starts in the summer when the days are much longer (7:45 pm sunsets? omg), i'm not sure if that'll fly for me this year.

so i guess my point is if you can't do the waking up thing, you could try eating a large meal just before you normally sleep instead (or try and stay up late like upthorn suggested)

edit #5 counting ninja-edits: also, if you forget you're fasting and eat/drink something, don't quit; keep going through the day. if you realize you are supposed to be fasting with food/drink still in your mouth, just spit it out. if you've already consumed it, no harm. the same goes for like smoking and stuff, though i've never heard an opinion about sex...

I'd love to try this sometime, but I can't on Saturday...I'll be at Cedar Point that day, and I don't think walking around all day outside in the heat with no water would be a good idea :neutral:

But it is a great idea having people from the forums fast with you - sounds like a great community bonding activity :)

Well Ramadan started today and I got up at 4AM to eat some breakfast. HANGIN' IN THERE.

My religious tradition also fasts, for similar reasons - I have to modify mine to meet my needs because I have a medical condition that prevents me from fasting in the manner you describe. But I am with you in spirit, and wish you and all of OCR's Muslims an excellent Ramadan.

Fasting teaches self control. Or at least, that's what I view as the practical benefit for doing it. There's also the spiritual part, but you don't have to indulge in that end of the spectrum if you don't want to.

Athletes fast all the time, in order to cleanse their systems and whatnot, so I don't think it's unhealthy. Try it if you want to, you might enjoy it, but if you do try it, don't give up the second you get hunger pangs because you weren't serious about it anyway. Go the full day, if you do decide to do it.

Doing that is extremely unhealthy and I've got a birthday party to go to. But good luck to everyone who's doing it. I'll eat enough for all of you. :-)

Fasting from food for a day isn't unhealthy unless you have hypoglycemia or something like that. Fasting from water for a day sounds pretty unhealthy to me, though... I couldn't do it, at least, since I had a kidney transplant and dehydration is very hard on your kidneys.