OCR Fasting! - THIS SATURDAY!

DarkeSword

I'm doing a lunch-in and a Pinoy gathering this weekend, plus I'm slightly diabetic. Are you guys also fasting for change, new religious pastoral or minister appointments, or just a reminder of the awesomeness of a deity?

The reason I'm asking is because in Christianity, Paul and the other early Christian evangelists encouraged fasting and prayer especially so when it came to ordaining elders and making church descisions.

And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed

Also, the practice of fasting is done by believers as a way of re-focusing their minds on that deity, and reminding themselves that He provides for our needs, not just repenting of sin, or cleansing your physical body.

I'm not saying this out of a legalistic attitude. In fact this is a great idea regardless of religion. It's just a reminder not to jump in this head first without any thoughts. If you're fasting just because, then it'll be unhealthy for you.

It is not unhealthy.

well, the no water part does sound somewhat unhealthy. it's okay for a day i guess, but i don't see the benefit of it.

no food for a day isn't a big problem for me, i do it several times a year, especially when i've overeaten the day before. it can increase body awareness and make you feel centered, for lack of a better description. just feels right sometimes.

dunno if i want to execute it ritually on a specific day, but i'll ask my bowels how they feel about it on saturday :)

nice idea anyway.

anyone here ever experienced fasting for a longer period of time? supposedly, you have about 3 days of increasingly intense cold turkey (no pun intended), and after that the body starts to adapt. it's not for everyone i'm sure, but i want to give it a try eventually.

Fasting isn't meant to be an undue hardship. There are certain conditions where fasting is optional (e.g., traveling) or actually recommended against (e.g., pregnancy). In cases where you cannot fast during Ramadan, as a Muslim, you'll either need to feed / pay to feed someone else (if it's a long-term condition) or make up the fast later (if it's a temporary condition).

Medical conditions are something that you'll have to assess yourself. Basically, if you can still get by fasting during the day and just adjust at night, then continue to fast. My grandfather was diabetic, but was able to take his insulin pre-dawn and after-sunset plus regulating his activity to still fast. Yesterday, I was rather ill but still got through (in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have fasted though, but I didn't know how bad it'd get until later in the day). But there are individual cases where no regulation of activity can compensate for abstaining from food/drink for 8-12 hours; in those cases, one isn't obligated to fast.

Overall, it's still an honor code system. So there's really no way to 'cheat' the system without cheating yourself. KF

Christians have a lot to learn from Islam about fasting; we say it's important but hardly anyone ever actually does it at all.

Damn straight. When we fast, we usually just call it that and replace meat with a fish fry. Now when the real hardcore fasters fast, (usually older people) they go on three small servings of bread and water for the entire day. They definitely show their dedication there.

I just like the challenge. I'm the kind of guy that if I set a goal I'll drown a few kittens to reach it. and people like Halt that say I'll fail miserably only strengthen my desire to prove him wrong, and prove me right. Plus when talking with my friends I can be all "yeah, well I was fasting on Saturady, WHAT DID YOU DO THAT WAS PRODUCTIVE??". plus i'm all for anything that promotes healthy living.

the only thing stronger than my willpower is my stench when walking to the mall on a hot summer day. so with that being said, good luck to all that are participating, be it those obligated to for religious reasons, or for folks like me just looking for the challenge.

Hmm... I haven't fasted in a while, so I'll join in today. I just so happen to have been up before daybreak, and so happened to have eaten before daybreak, so why not, at this point? 8-)

Christians are supposed to fast throughout Lent, btw, for people who don't think they do (I'mma lookin' at you, Kanthos :roll:)... For those that don't, shame on you - it's really the least you can do, during that time.

Alrighty! Ready, set, FAST!

EDIT: Cripes, not even water, eh? I'm still doin' it, but I'm glad I checked - almost got knocked out of the running a few minutes ago, lol.

Fasting also really helps me get my sleep schedule back on track. If I fall into a habit of waking up late, going into work late (which doesn't matter as it's not a strict schedule), coming back home late, and staying up late again, then having to get up really early and leave work early for a month helps to reset the clock. At least for a while.

This year I think it's gonna help me curb my coffee consumption. In the last year I've gone from drinking 1½-2 cups a day to 3-4 cups a day (cup as in 6oz.--a "small" at a coffee place is usually 10-12oz.). I still have a cup before dawn, but a month of scaling it back should help.

By the way, especially in the summer months when the daylight hours are really long, try to remain calm and relaxed throughout the day. It really helps to extend your energy. KF

captain's log, stardate today : it's 1:49. have not eaten or drank anything yet... heck haven't even brushed my teeth in fear that'd void the whole thing. had 2 bagels with cream cheese, a bunch of water, gatorade and orange juice and even a multi-vitamin last night at 5am before I went to bed. The natives grow restless... I hear howling in the distance... if this my last log entry, tell my family that I love them... and they're not in my will. (going strong, no urge to eat or drink. I AM A PILLAR OF POWER!!)

I'm doing a lunch-in and a Pinoy gathering this weekend, plus I'm slightly diabetic. Are you guys also fasting for change, new religious pastoral or minister appointments, or just a reminder of the awesomeness of a deity?

We're fasting for the appointment of a new Mod to replace Bahamut who is as awesome as Bahamut was.

j/k j/k

I got mad yesterday and may have broke my fast loosing my cool :/

I'll see if I can make that day up or something, dunno how to go about that.

However, I'm doing well with the not eating so far.