Do you prefer live music or studio recorded music?

atmuh

I enjoy Studio music better. Everything is played right, you get many more layers of meat in the mix. You don't get the whole ''it's a band playing this'' feeling. Most of the music I enjoy take me to far away places and mostly I don't think about the fact that someone is actually playing it.

I never go to concerts lol

I like both, but it is incredibly easy for one twat to ruin a concert for you. If I go to see a band it's because I want to see them play their music, I don't want to be stuck in a smelly crowd being pushed around and shoved because one spaz wants to get 5 metres closer. Ideally a nice relaxed seated viewing of a band is great to me. Obviously that doesn't work for every band but I'd always rather be further away and sitting so I can actually enjoy it.

So yeah, it's nice to see a band creating music in person organically; but the pursuit of a perfect sound in studio work is incredibly interesting to me also.

Depends on the style.

I love live Rap/Hip-hop when the rapper is good and can freestyle.

I love live Rock music when the bands add something new to the dynamic of their music.

I love live Rush becuase they rule.

I love live Jazz becuase... improvisation... DUH!

I love live Orchestral music because nothing beats sitting in front of an orchestra, the acoustics of the room etc.

oh youre one of THOSE people

the people that make concerts less fun

Sorry? The people I just described make them less fun. If everyone just chilled out and stopped pushing forward concerts are awesome. You can chill and have a laugh/beer with the people around you. That happened ONCE at a Pendulum gig of all band and it was awesome.

As soon as people start pushing it ruins everything and people start getting angry and even injured. Look what happened at the German festival recently?

I spent 8 fucking hours defending my 5ft3 girlfriend at the front fence of a Muse gig from 4 people who I could hear audibly targeting her as a small weak person they could push in front of. I had a bar lodged under my ribs from the people pushing behind me for most of it. My arm was almost entirely bruised. How exactly is being crushed by idiots making concerts less fun?

theres always one person in the front of a punk show that refuses to jump around and have a good time and be vocal about how theyre mad about everyone else doing it

heck i was at a new found glory concert this past weekend with my 13 year old sister right in the front and center

it was her first ever GA show and when people started jumping around and going a little crazy she wasnt a wimp she did the same thing and she had a great time and guess what no one got hurt or anything

i was proud

Hah. No it wasn't a mosh, thems is fun (long as you actually meant to enter it).

theres always one person in the front of a punk show that refuses to jump around and have a good time and be vocal about how theyre mad about everyone else doing it

You seriously think someone would want to not have a good time?

Just saying, there's a big difference between dancing/jumping/moshing/whatever and just pushing for the sake of it. The former is fun, the latter is annoying and dangerous.

Like I said before, its awesome when people are being reasonable and everyone has even half and arm of space so they can actually jump around and enjoy themselves without crushing each other. Its pushing from the back that ruins it for everyone.

I enjoy

but if I prefer to hear every nuance of a particular song I'd go for a studio recording.

Got to admit, depending on the concert and who's performing, any change ups in a track that differ from the studio recording often keeps a good song fresh much longer; if not everlasting for some.

Even better if the performers are actually performing at their best and keep the energy flowing.

There's something about seeing your favorite artist live that makes you appreciate them even more than listening to them on your iPod. It shows how much talent they have, if they're being a real or a facade when relating to their target audience, and it also shows what kind of audience a performer should be in front of depending on the gig.

Also, I have done security for a metal show once, and I agree with Fishy. It can really bruise especially when the place has a no moshing rule and I have to enforce it (it wasn't a great concert because of that). On a positive note, I've actually surfed over a crowd in a mosh pit. It's alot of fun!

youre missing out

Missing out on what? Annoying smelly people screaming in my ear, I can only view the concert from one perspective and these days most bands are lazy live, if a band came and gave a performance like Metallica did in the late 80's/early 90's I would consider going. But these days, I'd say it's just a waste of cash. I have a lot of live DVD's.. I prefer those due to excellent editing fitting the tracks, multiple angles and the sound has been mastered.

So I stick to the old DVD's from the days live music meant more.

I find real concerts really annoying. lol

Missing out on what? Annoying smelly people screaming in my ear, I can only view the concert from one perspective and these days most bands are lazy live, if a band came and gave a performance like Metallica did in the late 80's/early 90's I would consider going. But these days, I'd say it's just a waste of cash. I have a lot of live DVD's.. I prefer those due to excellent editing fitting the tracks, multiple angles and the sound has been mastered.

So I stick to the old DVD's from the days live music meant more.

I find real concerts really annoying. lol

This is why you go to see

bands...

As for the stink of humanity, just carry some frebreeze bombs re-engineered from the classic stink bomb designs utilized back in high school. Release them soon as your nose starts to ache and your eyes water up.

Or you know... man up.

Shit women go to them and if their "dainty" sense of smell can handle the BO, I'm sure you can...

A proper live show is awesome, and orchestral music is DEFINITELY better live by a huge margin. However, I'm not a big concert guy because I feel like with rock/contemporary stuff, the volume is simply too loud. I'm a musician and an engineer, so I prefer to be able to hear everything clearly. I love going to MAGfest, for example, but 9 times out of 10, any given band is so loud that I need earplugs and most of what I hear is just a wash of mid-high frequencies because of the guitars.

One of the best live shows I've been to was at VGXpo where the Oneups played at like 11pm or midnight. The room wasn't that small but their sound was PERFECT. It was JUST the right volume and mix, everybody loved it and the live energy was still there 110%.

I'm not really a concert person but seeing Distant Worlds live was simply amazing since as had been said, live orchestral is just on another level as long as the orchestra is good. It's not really even comparable to a rock concert or something though, as the halls have great acoustics (usually), and you can hear all of the minute details as you normally would, often with some extras.

That, and of course there's no possibility of getting pushed around since everyone has seats and is generally pretty quiet, though I would say probably a little louder than a conventional orchestral show since VGM fans are a little more raucous, especially when things like One Winged Angel come on :lol: . Still very subdued compared to a regular concert though.

Yeah, live music's more than just the artists playing their studio songs. I like live music better because you may see the ones who created them, interact with the band, let them entertain you in some way.

Personally, if I had the opportunity of making a show featuring my original work, I'd have the stage filled with a theatrical/mimical/choreographed play. *_*

A proper live show is awesome, and orchestral music is DEFINITELY better live by a huge margin. However, I'm not a big concert guy because I feel like with rock/contemporary stuff, the volume is simply too loud. I'm a musician and an engineer, so I prefer to be able to hear everything clearly. I love going to MAGfest, for example, but 9 times out of 10, any given band is so loud that I need earplugs and most of what I hear is just a wash of mid-high frequencies because of the guitars.

MAG7 really stood out to me in this way when we heard the Megas live -- on the disc their mixing is pretty rad and you can clearly hear everything. In the hotel it was like some guitar with a dude screaming to backup our DRUM LEAD SOLO WAAAA! Seriously, those drums were super loud.