Do you prefer live music or studio recorded music?

atmuh

If you mean live as in going to a concert, then usually, yeah, especially if the band is known for being a great live band.

If you mean a live recording, then no. The mix will usually be shittier, the instruments might be noticeably out of tune, and you won't really have the feeling of being there, which is what makes going to live shows so good.

Both can be good or bad. It really depends on how it's done. A good band that can get the live mixing and balance down well is really awesome! But there are sometimes balancing issues where one instrument is dominating or almost inaudible, and the crowd can also be a factor. For studio music, a well mixed, properly mastered track played on a good system (very important) is also an amazing thing. But some people don't have a very good system for playing recorded music, and sometimes the mastering can be pretty badly done (like the masses of CDs that have undergone dynamic range compression to extreme extents in the ongoing loudness war). Since I've gotten a pretty good pair of headphones, I've actually started picking up on weird distortion things in my MP3s that, after looking at the original wave from CD in GoldWave, I can clearly see actual clipping at the moment I hear the distortion. Somewhat of an extreme sounding example, but in the music I have it's something I find too common.

If you mean live as in going to a concert, then usually, yeah, especially if the band is known for being a great live band.

If you mean a live recording, then no. The mix will usually be shittier, the instruments might be noticeably out of tune, and you won't really have the feeling of being there, which is what makes going to live shows so good.

going to a concert

It really all depends on the kind of studio music in my case.

It'd be fair to say though that if a band cannot perform live in any sort of way, it isn't closed-minded to question how credible they can be. Although in the electronica genre, an artist's credibility is tough to debate since you don't hear too much about live shows depending on the artist themselves. Eiffel 65 sold out when it came to CDs, but when they toured in Canada and performed at the University of Winnipeg, only 30 people showed up.

This is why you go to see
bands...

As for the stink of humanity, just carry some frebreeze bombs re-engineered from the classic stink bomb designs utilized back in high school. Release them soon as your nose starts to ache and your eyes water up.

Or you know... man up.

Shit women go to them and if their "dainty" sense of smell can handle the BO, I'm sure you can...

Well, since the smell was the reply focus you obviously didn't pay attention to my other reasons that far exceeds smell lol. I just don't prefer it for the MANY reasons I listed.

Pay attention before you reply next time ;)

so if i prefer studio music i'm not open minded enough ?

I consider myself very open minded myself, and we both prefer studio music.

I know a lot of friends who are very stiff about the few bands or band they listen to, many follow the band(s) on tour and often they are quite obsessed about them.

I guess one of their reasons for going is: WOW I was in the same room as those guys! Now THAT'S an experience! lol

:D

audio wise, except in the case of performance-centric groups (blue man group, orchestras, etc.) a studio recording will sound better

as far as experience goes at concerts thats more up to personal opinion

/thread

It depends on the music, the idea and the production really. :)

It's what you're going for... personally I enjoy live more for the vibe, especially whilst performing. It is also never the same twice. However studio audio quality is so very important as it's a great medium to promote what could be live performances.

I am thinking of recording singles and albums live, pouring all my production skill into it to promote the music as a great, live performance and to also capture that live vibe which I, personally, love! :):grin: