OCR02081 - Super Mario World "Super Mario Western Show"

djpretzel

I've known this song for a long time, and yeah, what can you say, it's Hyadain. It's interesting to note that I found myself often singing "My sweetest peach girl" and other parts of the lyrics under my breath while playing SMW. This really is an example of a mix that has taken on a life of it's own and surpasses the original in many ways.

Hyadain on OCRemix? Wow. The guy's a legend. I am wondering if he found the site by himself, or if it was someone else that convinced him to post his work here. Either way, it is all incredibly catchy stuff. This is one of his most popular remixes too, just listen to it and you will understand why. It's fun, especially with the accompanying video(s) on YouTube.

Edited by Holy Land

I wasn't too impressed with this. Then again, I'm not usually impressed by [what celebrity] does what. I let the music do the talking, and in this case... it talked.. haha. Interesting to say the least, for a novelty remix. :-) I think it's extremely conservative by OCR's standards and the transition at 1:23 into the 'original' bit was extremely rough. What is this, a 95% conservative mix? *sigh*

Post your opinion
Edited by Brandon Strader

I think it's extremely conservative by OCR's standards and the transition at 1:23 into the 'original' bit was extremely rough. What is this, a 95% conservative mix? *sigh*

Eh. People tend to forget that the human voice is also considered an instrument. And his attention to vocal melody is remarkable. It's true that he has created better arrangements overall, but the vocal work here alone abounds in personality and interpretation.

Edited by Holy Land

Indeed. I have to admit I was completely fooled by Hyadain's Peach impression when I first heard this...even with pitch-shifting, it's no small feat to emulate the inflection of the female voice if you weren't born with it.

Also I'm with djp on the disco interlude -- great stuff.

Woefully short, but I'm glad it made it. +1 for pro musicians on OCR!

Edited by Dhsu

Better stuff than this gets rejected all the time. It's a novelty piece, nothing more.

I would strongly disagree. The instrumentation, attention to detail in the mastering, and strong character vocals all make it a quality mix. It may not be a technically refined orchestral arrangement, but the end result is exactly what it is supposed to be. Do you personally have any advice on what would make this a better piece?

Very enjoyable... almost as enjoyable as Hillbilly Rodeo ;)

Edited by Nex

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02081 - Super Mario World "Super Mario Western Show"