Best Of OC ReMix!

ddavis1979

The word "BEST" ... its a subjective word. Different songs are best to different people, but these are my top 10 Favorites of all time.

I think OCRex should make a "Best Of Album" Or maybe several albums by Genre.

In any Case, here we go!

Mod Edit: POOF - Wait for blogs, then have at it.

So what are your faves!

Why aren't the ReMixes categorized by genre, i.e. techno, jazz, orchestral, etc.?

OC ReMix has no intentions of categorizing pieces by genre. We've discussed this matter several times - what it boils down to is a feeling that:

• There are many pieces that don't fit nicely into genres or have multiple genres, and putting them in "miscellaneous" and "multiple" categories would be kind of lame; and
  • Part of the purpose of the site is to open people's minds (and ears) to new horizons. Try everything. If all you want to do is download Square techno, so be it, but you'll be missing out on tons of great songs. We've decided not to implement a system that would encourage that kind of navigation.

A third reason could potentially be that djpretzel would feel lonely having the only piece in the hillbilly genre, but we think the first two reasons are strong enough.

Why aren't the ReMixes ranked by popularity or numerical ratings?

We try to maintain a high level of quality in reviewing submissions, and believe that the music posted on OCR sets a benchmark in its representation of the non-commercial game arrangement community. However, there will always be pieces that some people may not like whether due to a ReMix’s genre, game source, etc.

Expressions like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "one man's trash is another man's treasure," trite as they seem, are quintessentially true. To separate out the "best" mixes, even by a majority vote, would sway any new visitors towards those mixes and away from pieces that they might otherwise have enjoyed.

Instead, we have a Reviews forum that lets everyone voice their opinion on a mix, and include a numerical rating if they choose to, but not in any tallied or averaged way. If you consistently find mixes you don't like and want to avoid "wasting your time," we suggest keeping track of which games, composers, and ReMixers you tend to enjoy, and downloading those mixes. However, we truly encourage experimentation, curiosity, and an open mind. We don't believe a rating system, or segregating out the "good" mixes by an arbitrary or democratic factor, would support that ideal.

There ya go.

That's why:

I think OCRex should make a "Best Of Album" Or maybe several albums by Genre.

Will never happen. :P