OCR01246 - Secret of Evermore "Anachronism"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...

This is also one of the most beautiful piano mixes here! It's got a lot of feeling. In fact, it's so full of feeling, it makes it all the more wonderful.

I've had this mix for a while and now I want to post my thanks for playing such a song. Makes me want to play SoE... though I've only played a very tiny bit into it a long time ago. And Soule's music is great, his FF6 remix is proof of that.

• 1 month later...

SoE may have been a rip from the SoM formula... however, the score was a completely different style. Some of the themes in SoE still haunt me to this day. SoE was like the creepy, eerie distant cousin to SoM; did anyone else notice how the backrounds were very reflective towards the music as well? As much as the game was quickly labeled a retrograde of Square's earlier titles, die-hard RPG fans soon realized that SoE was chillingly compelling and made for a great game. Bravo on the Remix, excellent work.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hmm... Its slow at first, I'm waiting for the main melody then I realize that this is it. This song really doesn't show or build up any emotion, as much as it is cool, I'm just not feeling it... Know what I mean? It feels like there's no story behind this piece.

Really? It's calm in the beginning, so calm that you just wish it to begin already, but it's not completely still either. Shnabubula gains some extra keys for every sequence she plays, and when she has arrived in the middle of the track, it has actually picked up some more speed and extra notes. This is restaurant music, where you're supposed to just sit at your table and listen to the musician that sits in the corner of the room playing the piano.

No story? Perhaps, but you can make one yourself. That's what games are aboot. Nice remix Shnabubula, you are a true pianist indeed. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Squeaky seat syndrome.

Oh yeah, and supreme-piano-remix syndrome as well. Guess you can't have too much awesome. I didn't notice the seat squeaking until like the 20th listen.

I will now go into detail describing the things that could have been better with this song: 1) No squeaky seat, 2) nothing.

• 6 months later...

I think you can appreciate even more the technical prowess in this mix if you start to loop it. I don't know why but it feels like a clean loop. As i it was meant to play endlessly. And yes, my head bops during some parts, especially around 3:07 up to 3:33. I seriously enjoy this piece, it goes from meek to fierce and back to meek. And even more, I believe it would be perfect as a part of the game's score. There is so much from the game that made it into this one song. The changes in the song are impressive, it's like listening to 5 different songs, and the emotions are there, but so subtle, and so conflicting. It's a beautiful piece, and I have to say that it really amazes me to hear such a rendition.

And now I want to play SoE again.

• 6 months later...

This is just an utterly breathtaking piece. It is a bit slow going in the beginning but that's okay because it really builds and builds as it goes along. I love that it builds up, comes back down, builds up again. Secret of Evermore had an amazing soundtrack and this song does it true justice.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Some might consider it pretentious to call this a classic, but on the Internet a year might as well be a decade in real life, so I have no qualms with referring to it as such. Eight years later I'm still coming back to this arrangement and am still amazed how unequivocally good it is. Completely different from Sam's usual prog-piano style too, illustrating just how ridiculously versatile he is.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01246 - Secret of Evermore "Anachronism"