OoT Remix - Inside Ganon's Castle

So my friend wanted me to do this remix for him, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to make such a boring song into a bulky evil, interesting mix track. I'm having some trouble. Tell me what you think.

And don't comment on the bass solo. I haven't decided where that's going yet, or if I'm just going to leave it there.

stats.png

Hey, I really like this. The addition of the organ at the end was a nice touch that tied it back to the original. I particularly enjoyed the three-against-two part with the organ.

There's generally good variety throughout, and it seems polished to my (unpolished) ears.

It does sound like a lot of the same thing harmonically (simple source, as you said). You might break it up by dropping the drums temporarily and doing a legato section, maybe with synth strings playing a different theme. For instance, a lick from the Hyrule Castle theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQppjFksfxM) could sound good. Something with a bit of major chord in it?

Other than that, all it needs is a little icing. :smile:

This isn't an Ocarina of Time mix it's an A Link to the Past mix. But that's not really important.

Your feelings are right on, this source tune is simply too flat to build into something interesting on its own. It works in the games because it's the build-up to a confrontation with Ganon (or, originally, Agahnim) but you've got it building to a couple loud and very anti-climactic organ notes.

This source can't carry a mix on its own, but a shorter version of what you've got could make a pretty powerful intro or middle section to a mix of one or two other sources. Since it's a song that was always designed to be a lead-in, have it lead into something.

Technically, it sounds great until the organs but, since it sounds like you took samples from the game, that's understandable.

Also, I like the bass work a little after the half-way mark, it reminds me of

. I'd be more precise about the timing but Tindeck doesn't have a counter.

Ok, well to put you both straight, yes, this song was originally composed for and was in ALttP, but the REMIX I'm doing is the one from OoT--which in fact at one point has Ganondorf himself banging it out on the ORGAN. I've used some exact notes from the score as well as embellishment on the chord structure. And for once in my life I'd love to do just a one-song remix, without putting multiple source in there. I believe this piece has the potential to be something more than a lead-in, that's why I embarked on this increasingly difficult journey.

I added the organ (of course) to tie the song back to the end of OoT when you face Ganondorf and, later, Ganon. That memory of him playing the organ is just really powerful, so I thought it worked to put that in the piece--to take people back to when they first beat OoT (for me it was when I was like eight years old). I think it works, even though the rest of the song is really heavy techno.

• 2 weeks later...
I look forward to hearing more of this. I really enjoyed it. At the end organ, it sounds like you could transition right into a full blown organ piece. Just my inexperienced, lurking since the site existed, someday remixer 2 cents.

This wouldn't be a bad idea at all! I'm thinking a sort of Ganondorf meets Muse combo might work wonders for an ending, with some epic organ arpeggios and craziness.