OCR02082 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Castle Crescendo"

djpretzel

Yeah, this was one of my absolute faves from the album too. This is what I like in a remix - something that kind of keeps the original vibe, but turns it up to 11. More often than not, the remixes where Castlevania gets re-done as lounge piano or whatever just strike me as novelties. I like to feel that you could take the remix and use it to replace the original level music, and the level would still work. This remix does that. It still sounds like a castle level. I like that a lot.

I- I wish it was longer... That's not even a critique, but I do. I think I may be a bit biased towards this mix, because I'm automatically a fan of anything that combines orchestra with rock/electronica, or really, anything more modern. It's these two kinds of music with very different qualities that shouldn't really blend, but when they do work together well... Yeah, it's pretty fantastic.

I think this may be my favorite song from DKC2 as well, and this is my favorite track from Greg so double plus. I love his style of orchestral instrumentation, probably because of the lack of reverb which makes it sound tighter and I'm assumin helps to blend in with the electronic side of Greg. I love that contrast between the orchestral parts from the electronic parts, at first it's kinda slow but you know it's gonna build to somethin, then it does, a nice electronic breakbeat section that's cohesive with the rest of the track, overall outstanding piece, good shit sir.

Well, I've already declared that Bramble Reprise is my fav track from SeMoBu, but this is a close second. It captures the original feel of the track perfectly while retaining that Sole Signal feel.

I have to be honest here, I had no idea that Sole Signal WAS Audix; I thought it was some new guy who claimed it and made some badassery out of it. And then I found out about the name change, and I was even happier.

Greg has the ability to make anything he does sound 'cool', and this track is no exception. Usually some cool beats, some orchestral hits and backing synths, and plenty of style go into the mixing pot, and come out as a sophisticated and edgy song.

I really like the pacing and the interplay of parts on this one, and I recommend everyone to check it out.

That intro was deceiving, I was expecting something a bit more faster paced, groovier, or maybe just... different. But this has a nice factory feel to it, everything just clunks along at its own pace, taking no shit from no... um... what would a factory take no shit from?

Even the shift at 1:30 doesn't feel jarring, there is still that mechanical feel to it, even though things have loosened up and are now moving at full bore.

I love how you dress up your samples dude. They are really well layered, and the deficiencies in them are covered really nicely by some complimentary synth work.

My only gripe is that it feels a bit anti-climactic, the song just sort of falls off the end, rather than coming to a nice, well oiled stop. Still, that's not any form of major detraction from the work as a whole.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This mix just goes to show how amazing the DKC 2 Album turned out. To take a dark song and make it even darker with a good beat is amazing. The slow down was sweet and the way it builds back up before hitting that cresendo is sick! Very enjoyable. Oh, BTW, this is the first ReMix I've heard that was so good that someone else made a mashup with it. It's alright, but between "Forgot about Dre" and this, this ReMix is the real prize.

• 1 month later...

Oh my god, yes. Just... yes. This is Sole Signal's best work yet by a wide margin (which is saying something because the rest of his body of work is similarly amazing) thanks to the way he so adeptly blends orchestral and electronic without ever missing a beat. A lot of this has to do with the perfect source he chose and how he adapted it to an arrangement that bounces back and forth between styles and different ways of fusing the two styles. Each part of the source seems perfectly suited for its role in the remix. Really, nothing feels out of place or weak here, it's all absolutely stellar, making for one of the most stunning and most enjoyable songs on the whole project. Kudos on this Greg, you've really outdone yourself this time! :-D

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02082 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Castle Crescendo"