OCR01248 - Gargoyle's Quest "Gargoyle on Broadway"

djpretzel

I'm glad to see that at last Nixdorux decided to show his skills to the people of Ocremix. I've been a fan of his work since I heard "Zelda is In Love" at vgmix, and believe me people, he has much more outstanding songs in his repertory, although I must say that this is his most experimental piece. As as I said before in vgmix, great work nixdorux.

People, expect much more amazing work from this guy.

OMG! OMG!

On OCR, I usually prefer electro mix than orchestral.

But on the other hand, I am a big fan of Gershwin and John Williams, among others.

This tune is E X C E L L E N T !

Very, very nice sounds (where the damn can you find such good soundfounds or whatever it is)

and perfect orchestration, IMHO.

Waiting now for other submissions here.

Ah, yes. Never heard much about this guy, but from what I heard, he's got some very good tunes. The strings and horns are composed very very nicely.

Nixdorux has come along was as I heard his first mix was rated Average. Anyway, yeah. There's not much I can say about this. I like the oboe/clarinet that come in at around 2:05 and the instrument solos afterwards. Good stuff.

If you enjoy this, pick up his latest Super Mario World's "Ghost" VGmix. It's a mixture of styles from John Williams to Rob Dougan who composed most of the orchestral scores from the Matrix. It's a very very sinister remix.

http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=2129

You won't be dissappointed with his stuff.

-Double A

This is the first remix I have been motivated to post a review of. It's an excellent take on the ending/credits theme from Gargoyle's Quest, a game - and a song in particular - which I had been hoping someone would remix. Easily one of my top 10 for music choice, as well as mixing skill and quality.

Anyone for doing Breager's Castle?

Mike Z

Well, I love Gershwin, and I love this underappreciated game... needless to say, I love this remix! This is one of my favorite GameBoy games of all time, and usually music is a big reason for why I love games, but I had actually forgotten how excellent the GQ soundtrack was. All the good memories of the game rushed back when I played this baby. Nixdorux does a great job of improving on the original, and adds that real human and warm Gershwin touch.

Does this have anything to that one game for SNES called.. oh what was it... *checks ROM* Oh, no, that was Demon's Crest, not Quest. But the title screens reminds me of each other. *checks GQ screen* Oh, it was a G'n'G game. Cool. Never mind then. *stops Chobits theme and starts this remix* *listens* *got so wrapped up, had it on loop, and listened to it twice on accidemt* Never did play this game, but listening to this remix, I can see what people are talking about when they say this game had great music. I didn't think it was too short, though.

It's great to finally hear a remix from this game. Excellent work.

Does this have anything to that one game for SNES called.. oh what was it... *checks ROM* Oh, no, that was Demon's Crest, not Quest. But the title screens reminds me of each other. *checks GQ screen* Oh, it was a G'n'G game. Cool. Never mind then.

Actually it does. Demon's Crest was the third game in the series (GQ was the first). They are a spinoff, or side story, to the Makaimura (Ghost 'n Goblins) games and are called Makaimura Gaiden in japan.

I'm not at all familiar with the original... though maybe I'll go check it out after this :) This is just a great remix, in quite an original style around here. Flows very naturally between all the different sections, which is particularly impressive. A really fun mix!

(Though I can't say it's my favourite of Nixdorux's stuff.... because, like others have said, if you've never heard his Zelda mixes, you're REALLY missing out!)

• 2 years later...

Very nice remix, I don't remember hearing this one, and i'm pleased I heard it now. Great momentum here, it skips around and changes tempos frequently, all the while staying together and flowing. The brass was the biggest offender for the fake sound, but considering the care put into the velocities, it sounds like very high calibur fake brass. The piano and strings take the forefront for a lot of the piece and rightly so, as I think they are the strength here. Nice melody and some great creativity.

Recommended. :-)

• 1 year later...

Another good example of why not knowing the game shouldn't hold someone back from checking out a mix. Very nice orchestral mix with a jazzy, Gershwin feel. Not knowing the original definately didn't stop me from enjoying this.

It's obvious that Nixdorux took the time to make sure the instruments were well 'played.' Instruments don't sound totally real, but they sound convincing, which really helps make the mix. Transitions are pretty good, nothing felt overly forced.

Nice, enjoyable mix. More people should check it out.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01248 - Gargoyle's Quest "Gargoyle on Broadway"