OCR00361 - Mega Man 8 "Frosty Delight"

Saunders

Mega Man 8 'Frosty Delight'

I never really played MM8, so I don't recognize this tune, but that's okay, cus I'm not overly fond of it.

It sounds like I'm listening to it through a pipe of some sort. Although if Chako was going for a cold/frosty/winter effect, he certainly achieved it with the samples used. Not a bad mix, but I don't like the muffled sound to most of it.

• 8 months later...

I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. Saunders here and say that I really enjoy this mix. Sure, I'm already a big fan of Megaman 8's soundtrack, so maybe I'm a little biased. I think its got a very cold feeling to it and does the original justice. I'm not sure what the "You haven't lost your touch" sample has to do with Megaman, or Frostman, but it still works nicely. Nice work DJ Chako.

• 2 months later...
Great, the way that you make it go from speaker to speaker while u are wearing headphones is very very trippy

That quote is a warning to head phone listeners who's ears get irritated by harsh panorama.

Anyway, I didn't like this mix that much at all. It's a great original idea, and "You haven't lost your touch." is a great sample for a mix like this. Very good with effects though, but the melody, lack of bass, and a few other things bring this to a 6/10. Good try though.

• 2 months later...

On the contrary to some others, I really enjoyed DJ Chako's take on Frostman's stage. It took me a few listens for me to get a feel for it and decide to keep it, and I definitely felt this mix had an appropriate icy feel to it. The lack of bass does NOT effectively kill off "Frosty Delight," and, while not a merely a minimalist track, less does end up meaning more with this one. The main background effect (the one you hear from the very beginning) manages to make this mix fuller overall, and I'd recommend that you weather the criticisms and check it out. Ryu7x's "Synthetic Future" is a great mix as well, but this one is also quality.

• 2 months later...

Cool! Literally. I heard this tune about maybe over a year ago when I came across it on Kazaa. It's interesting that I come across it again. I really enjoy it. It's very soothing and makes you ignore what's going on around you through it's duration. I like the tube flanger effect, it adds a certain uniqueness to this song.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The remix name confuses me. It's frosty alright, Chako picked a nice synth to play the melody. The beats and the other synth didn't really take this remix to new levels, it mostly began with a calm and deserted feel and ended with a calm and deserted feel. Since the name has the word Delight mentioned, I thought this would be a cold but also a happy remix, but this was more sad and...abandoned. If I stood on a vast frozen plain on Pluto, this remix would be an excellent choice for music.

Nice change from the other remixes with the abscense of a bass instrument, but overall, I found this remix boring. You get the impression that it's gonna build up some steam like most of the remixes, but there's nothing coming out. A calm remix, maybe a bit too calm.

• 1 year later...

This is pretty damn groovy for being as minimalistic as it is. It really gives the impression of a cold, barren, wasteland. Maybe it's just me, but the style of the percussion here really makes me think of the PS1 Megaman games [8, X4, X5, and X6]. It brings back fond memories of playing MM8, while at the same time reinterprets the source material in an interesting [albeit minimalistic] way.

Oh, and the "You haven't lost your touch" voice sample really adds a lot, even if it is just a small detail. Things like that really go far in minimalistic songs IMO.

• 3 months later...

A totally mechanical beginning with a heavily processed pad really fits the "icy robot" bill, and when all kinds blippy synth percussion comes in, it fills things out pretty well. The brittle lead works well in giving it a frozen demeanor. The vocal sample's placement I don't quite understand, but it brings the chorus in pretty well as a fill, so i'll not cry too many tears. They'd probably just freeze anyways. :P

The track is pretty minimalist, but it seems even so, it's too repetitive for my tastes. I just kindof lose interest about halfway through once the mood is established.

Basically it starts out strong conceptually, but then gets a bit complacent.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Basically it starts out strong conceptually, but then gets a bit complacent.

Pretty much this ^

It has a really good ambient build up but never quite lives up to its potential... um.. potential? Also the vocal samples feel out of place. And yet... this mix still resonates with me a little.

The background synths really remind me of arctic wind blowing. And the minimalist nature reminds me of some forgotten ice cave. I'd recommend at least listening to it once.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
for all of you trying to harshly comment on a mix i did almost ten years ago on the MTV music generator (of which i cant even pull up the session files anymore) go f!king kill your self... my mixes now will definitly trump your life.. #amen www.soundcloud.com/chako

8O calm down dude. its a comments thread. besides, I like your two mixes (i prefer Maridia remix over this one though. I'm a metroid freak.)

8O calm down dude. its a comments thread. besides, I like your two mixes (i prefer Maridia remix over this one though. I'm a metroid freak.)

you're cool .. you're cool.. you weren;t who i was directing that at... moreso the person who linked to someone else's work via mine..lol if i re did this it would be utterly awesome.. the next remix i might do is the part on supermetroid when she's on top of the planet.. like right when she gets out of her spaceship..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Curse you, DJChAko, for allowing me to listen to this before playing Mega Man 8! Now the OST's bassline sounds out of place! :-x

if i re did this it would be utterly awesome

You should definitely do that!

I really like the "Chill out" vibe this mix gives off, even though I don't really like the "chill out" genre in general (Groove Armada - At the River).

If this is what you could've produced then... what, pray thee, can you do now?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00361 - Mega Man 8 "Frosty Delight"