OCR01249 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "From Within"

djpretzel

Well, I've finally finished writing From Within's lyrics, and just finished recording the vocals for it. Here it is for you to listen/comment :).

From Within

And the lyrics...

Yesterday's gone, but tomorrows not here..

(so live for today, yeah, just live for today)

I'd live for today, but today's lived in fear..

(don't push them away, no, don't push them away)

Holding back has kept me down

Far away from you

I'm falling deeper towards this trend

And everytime you come around

I see all there is to lose

This thorn, it pierces from within...

Wasting my time, wishing somehow you'd see..

(just go for the prize, man, just go for the prize)

The feelings inside, the questions in me..

(there's nothing to hide, no, there's nothing to hide)

Holding back has kept me down

Far away from you

I'm falling deeper towards this trend

And everytime you come around

I see all there is to lose

This thorn, it pierces from within...

So sick and tired of missing out

On all I long to feel

I need to stop this wheel I'm in

No matter what, no matter how

I'll break through this seal

And pull this thorn out from within

------------

I spent a bit of time on production on the vocals. I know they leave much to be desired, but I'm still learning.

Hope you like it :)

Well, I've finally finished writing From Within's lyrics, and just finished recording the vocals for it. Here it is for you to listen/comment :).

And the lyrics...

-------------

I spent a bit of time on production on the vocals. I know they leave much to be desired, but I'm still learning.

Hope you like it :)

Yes! I've been waiting for a version with lyrics!!!

Nice, I do like it. :)

I've been looping this a lot lately, it's really hit a chord with my emotions these past few days. So imagine how surprised I was when I came here to comment and saw that the lyrical version of the song was done.

The lyrics are clearly very inspired and fit well with the tone of the song. The vocal performance however, is fairly average. I think I would have liked an even slower delivery, kind of like what Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails does with his slower paced songs. The best part of this song is clearly the solo at 1:58, which is far more enjoyable now when standing alone.

Overall, I'll probably be listening to the original more, but this one is definetly still a keeper. Both the original and the lyrical version make "From Within" one of the most inspired remixes ever made.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:D love the song.the words are great and fit nicely

it hit a cord with me alot my uncle just died a few month ago and the words hit me really hard.this has tobe one of the best remixes i have heard for donkey kong country 2 .i do some my self for zelda but this is way better then my stuff. thanks again

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah, this totally sounds like something from The Police. Hungry Eyes, maybe? Was that Sting, or The Police?

Anyway...very cool remix here. I love the guitar at 2:22. That is pure sweetness. The ending is equally as sweet. Excellent work, 10/10 from me!

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Ah, classic OCR tune-age here. I've heard this one throughout my time on OCR and I never put together that it was Darangen. Excellent classic rock feel! The solo was a little loose, but a minor qualm at best. Having never really played DKC2, this makes me want to try it out on an emulator! The only thing I could've ask for would be a better defined kick, but again, not a deal breaker at all! Excellent work for your first submission!

• 2 months later...

:shock:

This is beautiful. Why... why haven't I heard this before?!

Also, the intro reminds me of something and I can't think of what and it's killing me. ARG!

Aaannnyway, this is simply a wonderful track, everything has a rolling "being carried by waves" feel to it, not to mention this strikes a curious and unique balance between the natural, inherent energy found in rock with a very comforting, sleepy pace.

Oh, wow. This is a must download.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
If anyone's interested, I re-recorded this with baritone guitars. You can find that version here:

I actually like this version better honestly. But both are nice masterpieces. The guitar work is done extremely well and it flows well with the source tune. I really can't imagine a better take with this tune in this genre. Damn good ReMix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01249 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "From Within"