OCR01253 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Fight On'

djpretzel

Thanks to DarkeSword for helping me reconsider my vote; my mistake. The mastering could certainly be sharper and I would have liked some more panning activity to play around with the stereo field, but that's about all I need to say on production. Wasn't the best, but it was good enough.

I originally thought this felt like a mere upgrade of "Still More Fighting", but the lion's share of the work is done rearranging the support sections. I'm really thankful we got to the area at 1:34-2:12 featuring some lighter guitar arrangement, which was a breath of fresh air, and I would have appreciated some more being done with those kind of sounds in a support capacity.

I agree with DS in that this is a good mix for something that doesn't drastically overhaul the style. It's somewhat like humming a theme in your head while thinking of several slight variations for the support patterns, fairly along the lines of what my remixing approach would be if I actually started doing it myself.

YES

Yeah I could do with a little more sharpness.

HOWEVER, I disagree that it's just an upgrade. 'Those Who Fight Further' off of the Black Mages album is an upgrade. This has a lot of excellent original reinterpretations of the original song. I absolutely love the rolling hi-hat work during the section that starts around 1:38. So chill, man. SOOO chill. Guitar stuff is sweet too.

It doesn't follow the arrangement of the original exactly, even though it's the same/of-a-similar genre. I think this is a great example of how to remix a song without resorting to doing a genre adaptation.

YES

First off, the percussion is on average, messy and unbalanced. There's little dynamics apart from the two distinct loud and soft sections. The flams are often too loose and sound like rushed 32nd's rather than a true flam. It's difficult to hear the toms, as the whole drum mix is muddy and seemingly overcompressed. Some nice use of EQ helps a little. The arrangement of the percussion is as a whole is not bad, it just seems to overextend itself far too much. It's ok to let the drums go 2 measures without a fill. Really, it is. Overfilling causes confusion and tires the listener. The quickbeat hi-hat section is pretty dope, and helps to accent an entirely different mood.

The guitar work is excellent. I personally can't find much to critique other than a somewhat muddy presentation due to slightly subpar EQ, but it's nothing rejection-worthy.

It makes people happy when people don't shrug off the bass as a simple backing for other going-ons. This mix makes me happy.

GJ GL GG AFK

YES