PS3 hacked via USB dongle modchip

prophetik music

You'd be surprised by the amount of "everyday computer users" who steal music and hardly know their way around a computer.

Stealing music isn't quite the issue I was talking about. I was talking sale/trade of stolen goods, not just theft.

Besides, how many "everyday computer users who... hardly know their way around a computer" crack DRM protection systems and sell/trade the unprotected file to people?

there are two big arguments going on here: the first is that people who mod consoles inevitably pirate games and steal from The Man. the second is that 75% of people don't buy music, they download it. the first is the only one that matters for this conversation.

If you want to run Linux, go buy a computer and leave game boxes alone.

you really don't understand why someone would want to use the PS3 as a linux box? simple. it's called the Cell processor, and it's the seven-core monstrosity that makes the PS3 so excellent at rendering high-poly graphics. it's also a beast when it comes to encoding and transmuxing video and doing other high-powered embarrassingly parallel tasks. for what it's worth, there's quite a few theories that you'd be able to enable legitimate PS2 game playback on the console through loading the emotion engine (what the CECHC and CECHE PS3 models used for software emulation of the PS2). i own a CECHE PS3, but i'd love to be able to upgrade and not lose that functionality.

as for the argument that when you buy an iphone or a ps3, you're buying only the manufacturer's functionality and nothing else, that's pretty stupid. you're buying the hardware and software, yes, but you're also buying the right to do whatever the hell you want with it. it's YOURS. some corporate shmoe shouldn't be able to limit what you can do with YOUR hardware.

On a similar note we have the US Congress, along side other groups such as the RIAA and especially broadcasters pushing for phone makers to hard hack FM Tuners in all phones.

Normally I'd see that as something fun to do to push a smart phones' capability but to have authorities demand it..? Oh it's not just for the importance of "emergency purposes" but for commercial businesses as well.

Heck Samsung is trying out an idea for 1080p to be available on smartphones via dual-core tech.

Why the hell not tool around with the stuff you bought if many others are doing so..?

How many cars worth of games are the developers going to lose because of piracy?

Depends. How many cases of piracy would actually cost them money? In other words, how often does someone say "I really like this game, and I'd go to the store and buy it except I'll pirate it instead" as opposed to "I'd never spend money on this game, but as a free download, I'll play it anyway"?

Every piracy does not automatically equate to a lost sale.

Sony released a patch for the PS3 fixing this vulnerability yesterday, didn't they?

yeah, they released a mandatory patch that closes the security hole. at this point, though, it doesn't matter. the ps3 was "unhackable" for so long because it was a perfect sphere of protection - no one could get into the hypervisor to run unsigned code, no matter what. now that there's a hole that has been exploited, they'll be able to continue to research from inside the veil as opposed to battering against the outside of it more.

yeah, they released a mandatory patch that closes the security hole. at this point, though, it doesn't matter. the ps3 was "unhackable" for so long because it was a perfect sphere of protection - no one could get into the hypervisor to run unsigned code, no matter what. now that there's a hole that has been exploited, they'll be able to continue to research from inside the veil as opposed to battering against the outside of it more.

So is this going to turn into a war where those guys will keep releasing mods or hacks for it and Sony will keep making patches that stop them?

i never got that. a car is, like $15,000, and stealing one will land you in jail. a CD is $10 or so, and stealing one will get you a slap on the wrist (if that!) and a scolding by your parents. what a stupid analogy.

It's not even that.

If I could steal a car and someone wouldn't physically lose the car, and thusly there was no loss of goods, and if the car companies paid the workers who made them pennies per car, and if there was a slim to none chance I'd get caught.

I'd steal AMERICAN cars.

So is this going to turn into a war where those guys will keep releasing mods or hacks for it and Sony will keep making patches that stop them?

same thing as what has happened with the 360 - only MS used different models of consoles to stop it instead of these terrible updates. sooner or later Sony will realize what Microsoft did - piracy is good for system sales.

look at it this way - piracy isn't bad for Sony, or Microsoft, or any of them. piracy is bad for developers. Microsoft banned six hundred THOUSAND consoles in one fell swoop, and within a month their sales of new and used systems AND games skyrocketed. people aren't going to stop pirating because of a loss of functionality like no online play - they're just going to either keep playing or get a new console.

You think that because Sony isn't hurt by this, it makes it ok that developers are hurt by it?

And you forget, Sony has the biggest lineup of first party developers. They will feel it through them.

You take everything as if we want developers to get hurt. Brad is merely pointing out the truth. He's actually the most neutral poster in this thread and it's sad you can't just take an observation at face value. Brad never said, directly or indirectly, that it's ok to hurt developers.