*NO* Zelda 2 'Rupees in the Ivy'

djpretzel

Hello all,

This is a progressive metal remix of the temple/castle theme from Zelda 2 for the NES. I've been doing remixes for a little while now, and I'm confident enough in the quality of this one to think it stands a chance against the judges' panel. :)

This was influenced heavily by the band Opeth, especially their middle-era albums like Blackwater Park. It's got the 6/8 "da, da-da-da-da" rythym going on, the standout acoustic section, the somewhat abnormal chords/harmonies. . .the drum programming was also influenced a little bit by Stemage of www.metroidmetal.com. I don't know any other names I can drop so--oh wait, also, Aaron Burke of the Minibosses said the arrangement was "tasteful". ;)

Sorry I've gotta link you to VGmix (which means I can't put in the right ID3 tags), but I couldn't find any other hosts, and I figured you'd prefer a link to VGmix rather than an mp3 attachment.

My remixer name is Paragon, and my normal e-mail is showtime@partlycloudy.com (I am currently sending this from a Yahoo account since the MyOwnEmail banner ads are making my IE crash tonight). I guess that's all you need to know, so. . .listen, and enjoy!

Production-wise, I think there wasn't nearly enough separation in the sounds. Couldn't hear the bass guitar much (unfortunate, given that I liked the activity I could hear) and the metal geetars created a sort of wall of sound that I liked on some levels but obscured some other elements.

The key change into the strumming around 1:36 was pretty awkward and needs a more natural transition. For this section, the lack of sharpness in the production was all the more evident. Really have to pick it up here in the mixdown when possible and not leave it so rough. Nonetheless, this was some good-sounding arrangement during this less intense area.

The little drum break at 2:33 didn't work at all as a transition. Really awkward/bleh. Good stuff afterwards though, with some groovable work into and beyond the 3-minute mark, though them crazy hats from 3:11 until 3:24 really detracted from things.

Fairly cool feel throughout, relying on the arrangement strength of the support elements most of the way, though there were some great original ideas present as well. The ending cut out abruptly at 4:09.

The arrangement is above my bar, the production is not so hot. Unless the VGMix link is just messed up, is there any way to get a copy where the ending doesn't cut out like that, James? Otherwise, it's a very borderline NO, I'm afraid. Any track that's posted like that is there permanently, and an abrupt cutoff just sounds bad in that kind of situation. Someone else can choose to YES in spite of that, but I certainly won't.

In any case, just take a look at the mixdown to try and sharpen things up and create some more separation/clarity of sounds. If a copy turns up that doesn't have the cutoff ending though, that's honestly all I need to be willing to YES, because this was overall good work.